2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2009 9:29 PM by [scott]

Exporting Tiffs from Illustrator

nowyang Level 1

I know how to export Tiffs from Illustrator, but do you know how to make them have transparent backgrounds? I thought that I was able to do this in photoshop, but it doesn't seem to be letting me any more... maybe I'm going crazy

I'm using CS3 on a Mac

The reason for this question, is that I'm looking for a standard print quality file type other than EPS that I can give a logo file to a client that has a transparent background. If you have any other file type suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,

Nancy

• 1. Re: Exporting Tiffs from Illustrator
          [scott] Level 6

Why would you not provide an EPS for a logo?

Tiffs from Ai are always flat and never transparent. Photoshop can save layered TIFFs, that's how they can be transparent there. Not possible in AI though. You could copy > paste into Photoshop and save as TIFF.

PDF is also a very good format to provide.

I always provide, ai, eps, pdf, psd, tiff, gif, jpg, and png for logo projects.

• 2. Re: Exporting Tiffs from Illustrator
            nowyang Level 1

Thanks... I'll try again

Please see my comments with more detail below.

ScottWeichert wrote:

Why would you not provide an EPS for a logo?

I do, but I'm also providing other files types.

Tiffs from Ai are always flat and never transparent.

Ok that's what I thought.

Photoshop can save layered TIFFs, that's how they can be transparent there. Not possible in AI though. You could copy > paste into Photoshop and save as TIFF.

This is what I have done in the past (So I'm not going crazy!), but it didn't work today... there must be a setting that got checked off. I even re-booted, but that didn't solve it either. The PSD file imports with a transparent background, and the TIFF has a transparent background when opened in Photoshop (even when I close it out and re-open it), and as far as I know I'm saving the TIFF with correct layers, but when I go to test it and import the file, it has a white box. I'll try again with fresh eyes later, but if you can think of a setting that might cause this I'm all ears!

Also... I tried testing my theory by placing a past logo file that I saved as a tiff... and swear that this one had worked with a transparent background before... and that too, imported in both Illustrator and InDesign with a white box. Could it be a setting in Illustrator or InDesigner rather then Photoshop? since when I re-open the TIFF in Photoshop it has a transparent background.

Now you can see why I feel like I'm going crazy

PDF is also a very good format to provide.

I agree!

I always provide, ai, eps, pdf, psd, tiff, gif, jpg, and png for logo projects.

Yes, I do most of these as well.. but I like to provide the Tiff with a transparent background.

Thanks so much!