19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2009 11:14 AM by Fredust_AIR

problem with built-in animation text presets

Fredust_AIR

Hi,

I just started my first job with AE.
      I want to make a very simple thing: animate text (to be precise, just 3 short words) with one of the excellent built-in effects, which was shipped with the product.

However I realized, that the final result of the effect, what I choosed from the list, is differs from the one that how I've seen it in the Adobe Gallery site.
      So I tried other effects too (Flash, Blue Flash), and the outcome with AE is not the same, I would say it's on a complete different level.
      For example, Pulse Exposure text effect seems to be a very complex thing on the website, while in AE it makes only fade-in and out to my text: no contour around the letters; characters also not growing, and shrinking, so it lacks almost all of the fancy features, that how the effect shows on the website.

Can you please help me where is the problem? Thanks.

• 1. Re: problem with built-in animation text presets
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Can you provide more details? What font do you use? How do you format the text? Does the timeline reveal all keyframes/ expressions (hit U to reveal animated properties)? Some effects may simply not look good with specific typefaces. Also note, that for many of them you will have to enable motion blur/ motion blur preview to look correct. Some of them are so fast, they will not create anything visible without it. Also, what version of AE do you use? Is it CS4? some presets were not included in older versions or may have worked differently...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: problem with built-in animation text presets
            Fredust_AIR Level 1

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

It's CS4.

I'm using SerpentineDBol.ttf font.

Your question 'How do you format the text?' I can not answer. I only do very basic things. I followed Lee Brimelow's video tutorial. Open new composition, 640 x 240, 25fps, 30s. Then I type three words, put in the middle. Choose character (font type), size. Then apply Effects & Presets -> Animation Presets -> Text etc. I apply the effect with 'drag & drop', RAM Preview first, then Play and that's all. But mine is not the same...

Only double-click U (or keep pushing long) makes anything, simple click nothing. This should be the animation properties menu. But this submenu is not covered in this video, so I didn't touch it.

I can see all the frames, I think it's the green bar, which is created when I first click on RAM Preview, isnt' it? Sometimes it's a short or full length green bar, depends on the effect what I choose. I'm playing with different setups for two days, I tried switching to other font type, but I always get low quality result, can't have the same effects like on the website gallery.

Where can I enable motion blur preview?

Thanks & Cheers,

• 3. Re: problem with built-in animation text presets

Motion blur preview can be enabled with the respective switch in the timeline.

MBprev.jpg

Of course you need to enable the matching switch on the layer.

MB.jpg

The rest I'll leave up to the tutorial. I'm sure the MB is all that's missing from your recipe.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: problem with built-in animation text presets
                Fredust_AIR Level 1

Unfortunately no change... only fade-in/out effect works.

• 5. Re: problem with built-in animation text presets

You have OpenGL on, don't you? I suggest you turn it off. might be an issue with your graphics card.

Mylenium

• 6. Re: problem with built-in animation text presets
                    Fredust_AIR Level 1

Thanks for your suggestion.

Last time when I heard about OpenGL was years back, when I had to pick whether 3D or OpenGL as a grafix settings in Grand Prix Legends (it's a simulator software from Papyrus). I can't tell you is it on or off, cause I really don't know how/where to find it in Windows 7.

I have nVidia GeForce 6600 installed ATM, I can change it to GeForce 8800GTS. Do you think it's the grafix card?

• 7. Re: problem with built-in animation text presets
                      yenaphe Level 4

You can set on and off in the preferences menu in AE.

Go to edit > preferences > Preview and here you'll be able to uncheck OpenGL for preview and then go to the UI category to uncheck harware accelerate panels.

No need to change stuff in Win7

• 8. Re: problem with built-in animation text presets
                        Fredust_AIR Level 1

Thanks Sébastien.

Hmmm.... I didn't change any settings in the Preferences. It's in the default installed stage/state. I don't know why Mylenium thought that I changed these OpenGL settings, 'cause I said I'm totally new in this, and as being a newbee, I don't do anything else, only what I've been teached in the tutorial video.

However I checked it now, and it's greyed out. So I'm still confused... what is the problem.

edit: Where can I find this UI category with hardware accelerate panels?

• 9. Re: problem with built-in animation text presets
                          yenaphe Level 4

Well Mylenium asked this because even new people sometimes activate stuff and in order to narrow down the source of the problem, we have to ask this basic questions so we are sure to go in the right direction.

Now i've checked the animation pressets, and mine are also different from the ones used on the webpage. Either they are not using them at their default settings to show what we can acheive, or it's a preset problem.

• 10. Re: problem with built-in animation text presets
                            Fredust_AIR Level 1

Meanwhile I swapped to GF8800 GTS. Still no luck. Flash, Blue Flas, Pulse Exposure... all the effects has 'preset problems' and no one noticed until NOW ??!

Yes, I'm disappointed. And upset. I'm sitting here at the computer, working/trying 19 hours per day for a week, to get even the most primitive features in the program. This is very bad, that someone like me, who is totally new in this, need a week to use even the most simple things, especially that I feel I learned all the basics thanks to that (and some other) video tutorials - things just not the same as in the video, or as it should be.

Adobe is selling a very expensive software all over the World, that is not the same as in the advertisements? This is scandal...

edit: with MB on, Flash, Blue Flash and Spin Flash seems to be OK now. But Flicker Exposure, Pulse Exposure are not... I have not tried all.

• 11. Re: problem with built-in animation text presets
                              yenaphe Level 4

BTW, just tested all of them, and the only two not working like the gallery are Flicker/Pulse Exposure. All the rest are working as demoed on the website.

• 12. Re: problem with built-in animation text presets
                                Fredust_AIR Level 1

Can anyone tell me why these two effects are just not working properly?

And how could this happen, that no one noticed this before: not the developres, beta testers etc.

• 13. Re: problem with built-in animation text presets
                                  Fredust_AIR Level 1

Now with motion blur on in the program, the exported swf file doesn't include the motion blur effect... I tested with Rattle and Flash effects. There must be a setting for this function to save the file with the full features. This whole thing is sooooo complicated, nothing works like it should...

• 14. Re: problem with built-in animation text presets
                                    yenaphe Level 4

I don't export that much to swf, but you should have an option to render motion blur in the render settings (or output module).

• 16. Re: problem with built-in animation text presets
                                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I just tried Pulse Exposure, and it works fine for me.

It's possible that the problem that you're seeing is related to this tip/caveat from "Text animation presets", the page that I linked to before:

"If the animation preset requires a stroke or fill color, the animation works only if you have assigned one to your text."

Pulse Exposure works by animating the stroke.

• 17. Re: problem with built-in animation text presets

It's possible that the problem that you're seeing is related to this tip/caveat from "Text animation presets", the page that I linked to before:

"If the animation preset requires a stroke or fill color, the animation works only if you have assigned one to your text."

Now that you mention it... Could well be the issue. I agree, it's definitely worth trying.

Mylenium

• 18. Re: problem with built-in animation text presets
                                          I don't know why Mylenium thought that I changed these OpenGL settings,...

Don't make anything of it. While I'm putting all my telepathic powers and sensory inputs to use as best as I can (you know, that tingle in my nose...), we sometimes have to ask stupid questions . You see, in its default state, CS4 has OpenGL on and that particular feature has been known to cause a lot of headscratching with users. There's simply so much going on in a complex program as AE, without actually sitting in front of the machine it is hard to diagnose what could be the issue and at best we can offer tips, ideas and educated guesses. Naturally, they sometimes miss the mark, but that's why there are others on the forum that may offer alternatives and better hunches. Don't worry, we are not intentioanlly trying to confuse you...

Mylenium

• 19. Re: problem with built-in animation text presets
                                            Fredust_AIR Level 1

Exactly! This was the problem in my case (except the GF6600). By default, stroke was off/zero, and I was so unpatient and stressful to finish my simple 3-word animation quickly, that I had no time to read the PDF manual, so I had no idea what it is.

Thanks for the help all of you guys! I'm sure you all know what it is sitting at the computer 24-36 hours and waiting for the answer, what you know you are close to, but can't reach...

edit: My last wish to learn how to export swf with motion blur on, as I wrote above. Now all my exports are with low-effects.