9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2009 8:47 AM by Colin Brougham

CS4 - Clip Notes Export - streaming option

Jim Hines Level 1

Anybody wanna save me a little time experimenting and go into a little more detail than is available in the manual? There is of course the promise of 10 points in it for you.

If I choose file/export/adobe clip notes and in the clip notes tab also choose "stream" and then check FTP in the others tab with all of the pertinent info including remote directory and back in the clip notes panel use the ftp address for the url setting - here is where I'm starting to get confused. Does the url setting need to include the path to the remote directory? Do I have to upload an encoded version of my sequence manaully to that direcory or does Media encoder upload that automatically? I've watched a couple of video tuts and read the manual but have no actual experience at this and would love to start using this feature with a client I am working with now.

TIA

• 1. Re: CS4 - Clip Notes Export - streaming option
          Colin Brougham Level 6

The URL setting is for the remote directory, and I believe you have to put the file name in there as well. The FTP setting is basically a built-in FTP client that would upload the encoded file to your FTP site. You don't HAVE to use this; you can upload the file manually using your own preferred FTP client if you like. If you choose the Streaming option, the PDF and the WMV/MOV will be created in the folder that you specify, so it's always saved locally. The FTP option is just a convenience, if you want to call it that. Note that the file DOES have to be uploaded to the correct remote directory in order to view the video; it won't work if the video is on your computer next to the PDF.

I'd do like a ten-second test clip to verify how it works. I should note that I've had not much success with the Streaming QuickTime option; only WMV seems to work. If you embed, both work fine.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS4 - Clip Notes Export - streaming option
            Jim Hines Level 1

Just to be clear. The full path to the file in the url settings including file name - ftp.***.com\somefolder\file_name.mov - and I can safely ignore the built in ftp client and upload the encoded file to the remote directory using filezilla for instance.

I will indeed do some testing before I try it with my client.

• 3. Re: CS4 - Clip Notes Export - streaming option
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Close. Not "FTP" but "HTTP" is what you need for the URL, just as if you were putting up a web page or similar.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: CS4 - Clip Notes Export - streaming option
                Jim Hines Level 1

Hey got busy there for awhile...

See this is where the manual could be more detailed. This is the stuff that's going to hang you up and they just breeze over it like I'm a systems administrator. The rest of the text boxes and what not are fairly self explanatory.  Do you know what an iDisk is? If so are you saying I could upload the.mov or .wmv I want to be in the PDF to my iDisk, share it, and then direct the clip notes export [the url settings dialogue] to that web address?

I don't know why I'm asking I should just try it.

Thanks man.

edit - nope didn't work. I know the manual mentions that the ftp server also needs to be a web server. iDisk is a web server. I tried also just pointing to the file - with out the sharing which is probably not necessary - providing of course I have the right url path - didn't work. Could be the path I'm typing. http://www.me.com/idisk/my user name/movies/the file name

The work around I'm going to employ in the meantime is to do the embed option and upload that larger sized file to the ftp manually. Then when they save it it will email the smaller .xfdf file back to me and I merely import it.

What is a bit odd is that Adobe didn't use flash as a method of encoding this clip notes file. The same size .flv for the particular file I'm using as a test looks much nicer than either the .wmv or the .mov  Adobe owns flash right?

• 5. Re: CS4 - Clip Notes Export - streaming option
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

edit - nope didn't work. I know the manual mentions that the ftp server also needs to be a web server. iDisk is a web server. I tried also just pointing to the file - with out the sharing which is probably not necessary - providing of course I have the right url path - didn't work. Could be the path I'm typing. http://www.me.com/idisk/my user name/movies/the file name

The work around I'm going to employ in the meantime is to do the embed option and upload that larger sized file to the ftp manually. Then when they save it it will email the smaller .xfdf file back to me and I merely import it.

What is a bit odd is that Adobe didn't use flash as a method of encoding this clip notes file. The same size .flv for the particular file I'm using as a test looks much nicer than either the .wmv or the .mov  Adobe owns flash right?

Are you talking about the FTP upload function here? Because that HAS to be a proper FTP server in order for the FTP upload to work. In other words, if your website is http://www.mysite.com, you would need FTP access at ftp://ftp.mysite.com. Now, ClipNotes doesn't access fils through FTP, it access streaming files through HTTP, so wherever the file is hosted on the Internet, it needs to be accessible through the HTTP protocol. I'd imagine that your iDisk (is that the Mac thing?) would probably work for HOSTING the file, but you'd need to find an alternate means of uploading the encoded video to that host. There's probably some sort of web-based front-end for iDisk, instead of having FTP access as a typically web host would provide.

Long story short: you don't have to use the FTP upload built into AME in order to use Clip Notes. You DO have to set the URL for the uploaded video properly, but the video does not have to be uploaded by AME in order for Clip Notes to work. The file will be encoded and saved locally, to wherever you opt, and you can manually upload the encoded video later. This is how I imagine you'd have to use the iDisk hosting/space.

Does that make any sense?

I've often wondered why Adobe didn't opt for Flash in Clip Notes, and the only thing I can come up with is the Flash video container file doesn't provide for accurate enough seeking. Flash video tends to jump to specific keyframes, making navigation (and therefore, commenting via Clip Notes) a challenge or even impossible. I guess it's conceivable that they'll work something out in a later revision of Clip Notes, but that's merely wishful thinking.

• 6. Re: CS4 - Clip Notes Export - streaming option
                    Jim Hines Level 1

Just got back from a meeting with my client and showed him the work around embeded clip notes method of collaboration because I never could get the streaming version to work and I know I have the right path to my file. Oh well. He likes it though which worries me because you hate to make it too easy for them to make changes. Lazy...me....?? a little.

Yes I was uploading the file manually to iDisk and not using the AME ftp client.

Ah yes, the seek limitation in flash movies. That has to be it. Good call.  That would really lessen the value of this kind of collaboration.

Thanks for the all time you put into this Colin

• 7. Re: CS4 - Clip Notes Export - streaming option
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Jimmy,

Were you trying to stream WMV or QuickTime, and on a PC or Mac? I've only be able to get WMV to stream on a PC, whereas QT seems to only work on a Mac. However, if you embed, both formats work, on both platforms. It's a little frustrating. Here's how I've successfully used streaming WMV:

clipnotes.png

Check how the URL is spelled out, and I always make sure to name the PDF and the WMV with the same filename, just to be safe. I've attached the PDF (test.pdf) if you want to check it out and see if it works for you.

Also, you've stumbled upon what I found to be an alternate course of action, which is to embed the video (WMV or QT) and then upload the PDF. Size-wise, it ends up being virtually the same. Since most people have a PDF plugin built into their browser, you can simply send a link to the uploaded PDF, and you'll get virtually the same functionality. It won't start quite as quickly, as the video needs to be downloaded in the background and cached in the viewer's temp directory before it'll play: here's one that's embedded, playing off the web.

All told, I wish that Clip Notes was a little more robust and consistent. As you've found, clients really do like it, and I think that anything that keeps a client out of your edit bay and over your shoulder is a win-win. There's lots of potential; it's just a little kludgey right now.

• 8. Re: CS4 - Clip Notes Export - streaming option
                        Jim Hines Level 1

Success!!! Success!!! Success!!

Okay the post above this one is the actual best and correct answer to the query of this thread.

Your attachment worked like a charm Colin and gave me the incentive to try yet again. Yes I'm on a PC and it occured to me (late in the game) to out put a .wmv but my client is on a Mac so I began my ardous testing process using Quicktime. Then I got busy and frustrated and blah, blah, blah, you get the idea. Thank you for solving this issue. This should go into the official manual. Seriously.

For those of you who may come here one day looking to make this technology work AND you are using an iDisk I have this to offer. Encode first and upload that file to your iDisk and share it. Copy the url that is generated. Export/Adobe Clip Notes and paste the url in the appropriate dialogue box. Be certain to name your Clip Notes export the same thing you named your original encoded movie file ( the one you are sharing). Works and is awesome.

All hail Colin he is a champion.

• 9. Re: CS4 - Clip Notes Export - streaming option
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Aw, shucks

Glad this worked for you, and here's hoping that Clip Notes gets a once-over in CS5 to make it a little more reliable. Also, very interesting workflow with the iDisk sharing--very clever.

Happy client reviewing!