5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2009 11:16 AM by Ned Murphy

How to make an entire flash file's content into a movie clip?

ghotarama

So as to make things less confusing (I had a lot of different layers), I made each scene in my animation in its own file. Now I want to put them in the same file, so I thought I could make everything in one file into a movie clip and put it into another file that way.

However, it doesn't seem to work! I can highlight everything, convert it, and paste it into the other file... but when I paste it, it only pastes the first frame of my highlighted selection! How can I convert the whole thing into a movie clip instead of just one frame?

• 1. Re: How to make an entire flash file's content into a movie clip?
          Rothrock Level 5

Well the easiest way is to publish it to a swf and then perhaps load all of those dynamically.

The only other way I know is to select all the frames, copy frames, insert a new movieclip and then paste frames. This usually results in centering everything and you might not like that.

If you want to avoid that you should include a background layer the size of your stage. And then you can edit multiple frames, stretch the range makers to cover the entire thing, select all, and adjust the upper right corner to where you want it. (Assuming that you don't have things off stage.

Of course the best thing to do would have been to just made them all as movie clips from the beginning. Either in one FLA or in individual FLAs. So chalk it up to live and learn.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to make an entire flash file's content into a movie clip?
            ghotarama Level 1

I tried importing the .swf, and it sort of worked. The file was imported, but every single frame was marked as a keyframe, and it was completely centred wrong. It's over 300 frames long, and I'm not looking forward to resizing and recentering it frame by frame 300 times. I still need to make it into a movie clip that can be centred and resized easily. So now that I've got the general data into the right file, how can I make it a movie clip? I still have that copy and paste problem - it's only copying the first frame of the track, even though the entire track is selected. How can I copy more than one frame into a movie clip at once?

I also tried your second suggestion, and it didn't work due to the same problem - only the first frame was copied. How can I get around this? Can I get around this?

• 3. Re: How to make an entire flash file's content into a movie clip?
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You don't want to import the file into the library--it will lose all of it's actionscript.  You want to load the file dynamically during run time using MovieClipLoader.loadClip(), or loadMovie() if your don't need status info.

To copy the frames you need to use the timeline menu.  Right click on the frames after you select them and in the menu that apears, select Copy Frames.  Similarly, when you create the new movieclip, select the one keyframe in the movieclip's timeline, right click and select Paste Frames.

• 4. Re: How to make an entire flash file's content into a movie clip?
                ghotarama Level 1

Thank you so much! That solved the problem!