5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2009 10:13 PM by Lost In My Mind

3D Text

Lost In My Mind Level 1

Was hoping someone could direct me to the best way to create 3D text. I created it in Illustrator, but AE doesn't seem to recognize the text as editable when I import it. Being companion programs, there must be something I'm missing. Thank you.

• 1. Re: 3D Text
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you mean extruded 3D text, in which each character has depth, then there are a few ways.

Aharon Rabinowitz provides a video tutorial on the Creative COW website that shows a few ways to make 3D extruded text in After Effects, using duplicate layers or the Shatter effect.

Maltaannon has a video tutorial on this, too. His tutorial takes a rather long time to get to the point---which is that you can use a shape layer with a Repeater to get a more elegant version of the duplicate-layer solution.

There are other ways, all of which involve one clever workaround or another---or additional plug-ins. You can explore these options using this After Effects Community Help search.

• 2. Re: 3D Text
            yenaphe Level 4

You can also use 3rd party plugins like Invigorator Pro from Zaxwerks.

• 3. Re: 3D Text
              Lost In My Mind Level 1

Thank you Todd for the links and answers, and yes I did research before posting. I was just hoping there was a more simple or direct method, perhaps Illustrator as I tried. Thank you also Sebastien for your help. I checked it out, but seemed a little pricey. I had better start saving my pennies .

• 4. Re: 3D Text
                Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Unfortunately, Illustrator (which borrows for its' 3D effects from a legacy application called "Adobe Dimensions") doesn't generate an actual 3D mesh that could be used as an exchange framework.

I agree that creating 3D text and other simple 3D shapes should be easier. The techniques described above can be used as a workaround, for now.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: 3D Text
                  Lost In My Mind Level 1

Thanks Adolfo for the reply and info. Glad to have it confirmed, so I don't feel like I was missing something . My guess is AE will address it at a later date in a newer version for more sales . Thanks again.