5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2009 4:38 PM by JETalmage

CS4 - Magnify or Zoom Lens Tool?

SeanTX

I need to create a "magnifying glass effect" on a portion of a drawing. I found a tutorial explaining a tool in CorelDraw (Magnify Lens) that does exactly what I need to do. However, I have not been able to find this tool/effect in AI CS4.

Can anyone tell me if this type of tool exists in CS4? If there isn't a tool designed specifically for this, are there any free or low-cost plugins that can do it? In the absence of that, tutorials or advice on how to do it?

Thank you!!

Sean

• 1. Re: CS4 - Magnify or Zoom Lens Tool?
          PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

Wow, I'm not so sure I want to tell you how I would do this in Illustrator considering how cool the mag. tool in Corel Draw is.

But here we go. Copy the whole art layer (Option drag the layer to the add layer icon in the Layers Panel) draw a circle in the place you want to magnify, make sure the circle is the top most item in the new layer. Click the Clipping Mask icon at the bottom of the Layers Panel. This should mask everything on this layer except for the items within the circle you drew. Now select all on this layer by clicking on the meat ball for this layer in the Layers Panel (The dot on the right side of the layer in the Layers panel) this should select all items on this layer. Now use the Effects>Distort and Transform>Transform to offset the mag circle where you want it.

There is no Magnify or zoom lens tool like Corel Draw. Would be a cool feature request though.

• 2. Re: CS4 - Magnify or Zoom Lens Tool?
            SeanTX Level 1

Thank you for the lightning fast response with instructions on how to do it! I'll be giving it a shot in just a little while. (fires popped I have to put out!)

• 3. Re: CS4 - Magnify or Zoom Lens Tool?
              PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

Yeah, I run around with my hair on fire a lot at work. er, uh I mean my feathers on fire.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: CS4 - Magnify or Zoom Lens Tool?
                SeanTX Level 1

That got the job done! I did one thing slightly different... to zoom in, I used Object>Transform>Scale rather than Effects>Distort.

You're right, it would really be nice if there were a tool to do this (like there is in CorelDraw)!

Thanks again!

• 5. Re: CS4 - Magnify or Zoom Lens Tool?
                  JETalmage Level 6

Using CS3:

1. Select the artwork from which you want to display a cropped and magnified insert.

2. Symbol Palette Flyout: New Symbol. The artwork is now a Symbol Instance.

3. AltDrag a copy of the Symbol Instance.

4. Draw a path on top of the copy and make it a Clipping Path.

Now you can put the Clipping Masked Instance whereever you want on the page. DirectSelect its contents and scale as desired using the Scale Tool.

DoubleClick the original Instance to edit the Symbol. When done, leave Group Isolation Mode. The other Instance--the magnified one inside the Clipping Mask--will update accordingly.

This is an awkward workaround compared to a proper lens feature as in FreeHand and Draw. But it should be somewhat less awkward in CS4, given that Illustrator's historic and hideous behavior of showing the bounding box and outlines of entire content of Clipping Masks has at long last been fixed.

See this PDF for an example.

JET