5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2009 12:48 PM by Peter Grainge

    Project rename catastrophic

    tojo45

      Using RH8, RSC3.1 and XP.

       

      I renamed a project per the Help instructions.  When the project reopened most of the topics were no longer in the HTML file list, though they are in the

      folder itself.

       

      I would like to know how to gracefully get this project back in one piece.  I imagine importing the topics is the key, but is there a better way.

       

      I would also like to ask what happened?  Did I miss something?

       

      Any information would be greatly appreciated.

      Regards,

       

      Joe

        • 1. Re: Project rename catastrophic
          tojo45 Level 1

          FYI, I tried importing one topic and it says it copied the file but skip the import because it is not a valid HTML file.  Though I double-clicked the file and it opened in the browser normally.

           

          I tried one more just to see if that was a one time thing and it did the same thing.  I am not feeling good about getting this project back together easily.

           

          I hope there is something I'm missing.

           

          Regards,

           

          Joe

          • 2. Re: Project rename catastrophic
            tojo45 Level 1

            OK, I found the missing topics in the BROKEN LINKS folder.  I was able to restore all topics with some hyperlinks being lost, but nothing else.

             

            Is this what is supposed to happen from a rename of the project.  I don't have much hair, but I think I just lost some more. ;-)

             

            Regards,

             

            Joe

             

            I

            • 3. Re: Project rename catastrophic
              Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

              Hi Joe

               

              Hmmm, come to think of it, I've been using RoboHelp since 1992 and I began shaving my head several years ago. Nah, I'm sure it's not that. It's genetics.

               

              Actually that should not happen to you. The only issue I can think of here is that you mentioned (I believe) that the project you renamed was under Source Control? I could see that having all sorts of issues. I don't use RSC, I've always avoided it. But I might logically conclude that I would need to perform the following steps if I needed to rename a project.

               

              1. Remove the project from source control.
              2. Close, then Re-open the project to ensure nothing was wonky.
              3. Rename the project and ensure all is well.
              4. Re-add the project to source control.

               

              You may want this thread to appear in the Source Control forum. There are some sharp folks there that monitor that forum and may just sort of ignore this one. If you want, I'll be happy to move the thread there for you.

               

              Cheers... Rick

               

               

              Helpful and Handy Links

              RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

              Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

              Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

              SorcerStone Blog

              RoboHelp eBooks

              • 4. Re: Project rename catastrophic
                tojo45 Level 1

                Thanks so much for the reply.  I did remove it from RSC before the rename per the Help advising you could not otherwise (the option is dimmed).  But I probably did not close and open the project again before doing the rename.

                 

                A tough lesson to learn, but mostly mental damage, nothing much in the project.

                 

                Thanks again.

                 

                Regards,

                 

                Joe

                • 5. Re: Project rename catastrophic
                  Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

                  I've experienced the same in RH8 without any source control being involved. It was fixed in the same way as you did it and the project has been OK ever since.

                   


                  See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips