7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2009 6:15 PM by comptige1

How do I create a tween between two images?

comptige1

Hi,

So I'm really new at using Flash (CS4), and I'm wondering: how do I create a tween between two different images? I tried converting them both to graphics, but that didn't work. Please help! And please explain in simplest way possible. Thank you so much in advance!

• 1. Re: How do I create a tween between two images?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In what way do you want to tween them?

• 2. Re: How do I create a tween between two images?
            comptige1 Level 1

Ummmm, i guess it would be motion tween. i dont even know if this is possible in flash, but i was looking at this site as a model: http://meche.mit.edu/

basically i just want a smooth transition between two images

• 3. Re: How do I create a tween between two images?
              BearHNC Level 1

In CS4 for so unholy reason they chnged the tradional flash motion tween to the classic tween that is what you will want to use;

1st convert your image to a movie clip create a second keyframe down the timeline (where you place will dictate how quickly or slowly your images fade-in and out)

On the first frame put you Alpa at 0% then the next keyframe leave at 100%

Then select both frames and create a classic tween then just repaet this process until you have all of your images fading in and out

P.S. if you want the image to be a 100% for awile add another 100% keyframe a litle ways down the timeline before you fadin another image.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How do I create a tween between two images?

I was ready to explain how to do a timeline tween when I remembered you might be using CS4, which I don't have and in which they have changed things as far as how one goes about creating timeline tweens.  Do you have CS4?  If so, then you might want to search the forums for some help... there is a link someone gave somewhere that supposedly helps explain how to use the new tweening features of CS4.

But just for general info, you did good by creating graphic symbols out of the images.  When you do motion tweens, you essentially only tween one object, so in your case you would have two tweens... one to fade out the first image and another to fade in the second.  Another effect can be realized by having one image atop the other and tweening the one on top to fade out.

When you fade an object you are tweening the alpha property of it (_alpha in AS2).  And for a timeline tween you can set the start and end values of the tween via the properties panel.

Here's what I recommend for the moment.  Get one image symbol to fade out using a tween.  Once you have that down, you should be able to see how to go in the opposite direction to have one fade in.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How do I create a tween between two images?
                  comptige1 Level 1

yes, i do have cs4. thank for the help to the both of you!

• 6. Re: How do I create a tween between two images?

You're welcome.  Play around with it and you'll become more familiar with how it works (and how it doesn't... which is equally good to know).  Afterwards, you can also learn how to create tweens using actionscript instead of eating up timeline space.  This helps when you get into creating sldieshows and things of that nature where images might be loaded dynamically.

• 7. Re: How do I create a tween between two images?
                      comptige1 Level 1

thanks! if i had to do this for more than like 10 pictures, i think i would be really annoyed, but i did what you said, and it worked. so thanks a bunch