8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2009 10:02 AM by trancepriest

Using Horizontal/Vertical Scrollbars without a datalist.

Luke Pearce

I want to use a horizontal scrollbar in a web application Im working on but don't want to create a datalist. I just want to be able to scroll content across a bounded area. Is this possible in catalyst itself?

Thanks for any help,

Luke.

• 1. Re: Using Horizontal/Vertical Scrollbars without a datalist.
          acath Level 4

Hi Luke,

There's no easy way to do this in the current beta, but check again in the next beta.

For now, you can do this with some coding in Flash Builder:

1.  Convert the content that you want to scroll to a custom component.

2.  Create a scrollbar that you want to scroll the content.

3.  Import your project to Flash Builder.

4.  Find your custom component in the code. It will look like this:

And add this:

<HScrollBar viewport="scrollingArea"...

Voila!

-Adam

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Using Horizontal/Vertical Scrollbars without a datalist.
            Luke Pearce Level 1

Thanks Adam i'll give that a try.

Luke.

• 3. Re: Using Horizontal/Vertical Scrollbars without a datalist.
              Luke Pearce Level 1

Hi Adam.

Ive finally come around to trying to edit the code in flash builder and I think you missed out some text in your reply. Where you've said what the custom component will look like there isnt any text.

Ive been reading further and am I right in saying that i need the custom component to be the viewport for the scroll bar?

thanks,

luke.

• 4. Re: Using Horizontal/Vertical Scrollbars without a datalist.
                acath Level 4

Hi Luke,

Sorry about that. The forum seems to have problems with email responses...here's my original full reply:

Hi Luke,

There’s no easy way to do this in the current beta, but check again in the next beta.

For now, you can do this with some coding in Flash Builder:
                Convert the content that you want to scroll to a custom component.
                Create a scrollbar that you want to scroll the content.
                Import your project to Flash Builder.
                Find your custom component in the code. It will look like this:

<CustomComponent1 ...

Add this stuff:

<CustomComponent1 id=”scrollingArea” width=”100” height=”100” clipAndEnableScrolling=”true” ...

(of course, you can set the width and height to whatever you want the clipped, viewable area to be).

5. Now find your scrollbar. It will look like this:

<HScrollBar .../>

And add this:

<HScrollBar viewport=”scrollingArea”...

Voila!

-Adam

• 5. Re: Using Horizontal/Vertical Scrollbars without a datalist.
                  Luke Pearce Level 1

thank you! I got it all working at last! Only thing I had to change was when adding the viewport tag in the scrollbar I needed to put { } around the id.

thanks,

luke.

• 6. Re: Using Horizontal/Vertical Scrollbars without a datalist.
                    trancepriest Level 1

Thanks this seems like it will be a solution to my current problem of trying to create external urls in a flash catalyst design time data list.

• 7. Re: Using Horizontal/Vertical Scrollbars without a datalist.
                      trancepriest Level 1

Cannot get it to work with the following code:

<components:CustomComponent1 includeIn="Portfolio" x="380" y="60" id="PortfolioScrollingArea" width="580" height="420" clipAndEnableScrolling="true">

</components:CustomComponent1>

<s:VScrollBar includeIn="Portfolio" x="967" y="60" id="vscrollbar1" skinClass="components.VerticalScrollbar2" fixedThumbSize="true" viewport="PortfolioScrollingArea"/>

I tried using {} around the viewport tag id and still wasn't working. Any help would be very much appreciated.

The error result is:

Description Resource Path Location Type

Initializer for 'viewport': values of type spark.core.IViewport cannot be represented in text. Main.mxml facetmediacomp-scrollbar/src line 941 Flex Problem

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** Disregard... problem solved with:

<components:CustomComponent1 includeIn="Portfolio" x="380" y="60" id="PortfolioScrollingArea" width="580" height="420" clipAndEnableScrolling="true">

</components:CustomComponent1>

<s:VScrollBar includeIn="Portfolio" x="967" y="60" id="vscrollbar1" skinClass="components.VerticalScrollbar2" fixedThumbSize="true" viewport="{PortfolioScrollingArea}"/>

A secondary error was reported elsewhere after this change due to the default FC target tag needed to be changed... to "PortfolioScrollingArea"

• 8. Re: Using Horizontal/Vertical Scrollbars without a datalist.
                        trancepriest Level 1

How do you add buttons to the scrolled content when the content extends beyond the artboard?

http://facetmedia.com/new/

I was able to create the vertical scroll bar/custom component but now the buttons are stuck in place on the portfolio page.