13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2009 10:37 AM by the_wine_snob

External Hard Drives

WillinToListen Level 1

I'm looking for a recommendation on an external hard drive manufacturer.  Is a Western Digital Home Edition 2 TB any good?  Do I need an external drive with a fan?  Best Buy tells me none of them have fans any more.  Is that true?  Are Seagate drives any good?  Please recommend what you have had good luck with.

Thanks,

- Don

• 1. Re: External Hard Drives
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For what purpose? Editing or Archival?

If Archival, you may use a USB connection... but NOT for editing since it is not fast enough

For Editing, you need Esata and NOT a "green" drive since those are too slow

More information needed

• 2. Re: External Hard Drives
            WillinToListen Level 1

Sorry - I need it for editing.  I have been using a firewire and a Seagate 1 TB but it is full.

• 3. Re: External Hard Drives
              WillinToListen Level 1

I'm looking for a recommendation on an external hard drive manufacturer.  Is a Western Digital Home Edition 2 TB any good?  Do I need an external drive with a fan?  Best Buy tells me none of them have fans any more.  Is that true?  Are Seagate drives any good?  Please recommend what you have had good luck with.

Thanks,

- Don

• 4. Re: External Hard Drives
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You want 7200 rpm with as large a cache as possible

Since you are using Firewire/1394, you know that works... or eSata if you have that connection

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150414%20131021336&name=1T B%20and%20higher

On the left near the bottom, you may select the interface

Go for AT LEAST "4 Eggs" and then read the reviews to see why the rating is what it is... but do remember that no product ever gets a 100% rating

WD or Seagate are both good (I prefer WD, others prefer Seagate) and LaCie has been around a long time as well... but as I said, at least 4 Eggs

You may also buy just an enclosure, for 1 or MORE drives and the connection type of your choice... and WITH a fan if you want... and build your own

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010010092%201053907126%201053 807123&name=3.5%22

Again, note the connection type at the lower left

• 5. Re: External Hard Drives
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I use Maxtor 2TB FW-800's for editing to/from, and have no issues. Unfortunately, Seagate (new parent company) has dropped these externals.

I've use several WD units, and a few others, also without issue.

I do NOT recommend USB connections and also found that FW-400 was too slow for me. Now, if I did not have tons of legacy Maxtors, I would go with eSATA for the connection, without question.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: External Hard Drives
                    Ed.Macke Level 3

I have 2 Firewire ports, but I'll be darned if I can find anything that specifies whether they are 400 or 800. Everything simply says IEEE-1394. The ports are part of the PC (a ~3-year-old Dell XPS-400), not on an PCI expansion card.

Do you know of any way of easily identifying what speed the port supports?

I'm looking to buy external drives so obviously this would be something handy to know!

• 7. Re: External Hard Drives
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

The FW-400 is IEEE-1394a and the FW-800 is IEEE-1394b. I was going to suggest Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager, but noticed that on my laptop, the connections/controllers do not show the "a," or the "b" designation - odd, but that is the way my system is.

Now, the connection will tell you what you have. If you have a 4-pin, or a 6-pin connector, then you have FW-400 (IEEE-1394a). For the FW-800, you will have a totally different connection, which is a rectangle with a little slot in the top, the mini-MT 9-pin connection. HERE is an image of this connection.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: External Hard Drives
                        Ed.Macke Level 3

Yeah, mine only said 1394, too - no "a" or "b".

However, the connection verifies what I thought... it's a 6 pin meaning 1394a meaning FW400. I'm not surprised, but am disappointed. Unfortunately I have no more PCI slots available, so I can't even add a card.

• 9. Re: External Hard Drives
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

Please refresh my memory. Do you have a laptop, or a desktop computer? If you have a laptop, with either a PCMICA, or an ExpressCard slot, you can add the FW-800 card that way. Just make sure that your BIOS will support IEEE-1394b. You might have to go to the BIOS mfgr's site, though Dell might also be able to help you.

If you have a PCI (or PCIe) FW-400 card, you can replace it with a dual IEEE-1394 a & b card. Again, the BIOS comment applies. Should you go either way, try to get a multiple controller card, so that each connection has its own controller chip. This will allow the system to see each device as totally separate and keep bottlenecks to a minimum.

Note: most MoBo IEEE-1394 chips are usually single controller setups, even if they hook up to multiple sockets.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: External Hard Drives
                            Ed.Macke Level 3

I have a Dell XPS 400 desktop. With all PCI slots  currently used up...

The Firewire ports are "built-in", i.e. no PCI card, just one connector on the front and one on the back. I currently only use 1, for importing DV-AVI. The other one is unused, and would be my external HD.

• 11. Re: External Hard Drives
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

Thank you for that info. At my age, I find it tough to remember what MY comupters have...

One caveat: with only the MoBo chips, regardless of the number of connections, when you go to Capture, I'd limit myself to ONLY one connection - the camera. Once done, THEN you can use the external. What this means is that you cannot Capture TO the external from the camera. Unfortunately, having more than the camera on the one chip will often kill the Capture capability. Also, you can daisy-chain your externals from the computer, and then from the external to another external, but most cameras will NOT work in a daisy-chain situation - they want to be the only device on that chip at all times. If you CAN use both the camera and the external, you will be one of the lucky few. Just expect an error with regards to the Capture. It's better to limit the connections to just the camera.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: External Hard Drives
                                Ed.Macke Level 3

Hunt,

Thanks, as always, for the helpful info.

I only plan to use my external as backup.

Currently, I have (2) internal 500 GB SATA II's. One is my primary drive, the other is strictly backup for the primary, plus scratch files / page files. I want to do a better job of using the 2 internal drives, the external will exist solely to back up both internals.

In other words, unless I'm importing while I'm also backing up, I'd never be using > 1 Firewire connections at once.

Well, that's my Plan A. My Plan B might be to get a new PC with eSATA, but I might wait until Windows 7 service pack 1 to do that....

• 13. Re: External Hard Drives
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

My Plan B might be to get a new PC with eSATA, but I might wait until Windows 7 service pack 1 to do that....

That is about where I am on a new workstation. I'll definitely have eSATA, but with my vast collection of FW-800 externals, I will also have that connection too. By the time I have the $, Win7 SP-1 will probably be out. I might go with CS4.1, but CS5 might also be released by then too. Since I'm not doing HD yet, I still have time.

Good luck,

Hunt