7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2009 8:56 AM by MiKKi Chan

conversion unicode failed =(

MiKKi Chan

hi

i've been having this proplem from a really long time and though i asked so many people nobody really helped =/

whenever i try to import something " a video .mp4" this shows up :

http://i27.tinypic.com/m9udcw.jpg

its been really annoying i had CS4 before this and i deleted it and i got this and the same proplem happens =/

and so many people told me about language settings and stuff , and i type with three langauges english arabic and japanese but the original one is english and all the files that i have is in english , so whats wrong ? =(

and btw im a mac user (OS X 10.5.8)

• 1. Re: conversion unicode failed =(
          yenaphe Level 4

Where does you .mp4 comes from (what software exported it) ?

• 2. Re: conversion unicode failed =(
            MiKKi Chan Level 1

like what software open it ? QuickTime Player

• 3. Re: conversion unicode failed =(
              yenaphe Level 4

Nop, what software created it. It may be an option in the creation that causes the problem. But i'm not sure.

• 4. Re: conversion unicode failed =(
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

and i type with three langauges english arabic and japanese

But what is your user account's default language setting? By that I don't mean the language switch in the menu bar, but the language it was set to at the time it was created. You could still be causing a mismatch due to OSX' localize policies. That aside, the question really is, how the files were created and transferred to the system. Especially MPEG derivatives can have so many variations, it's quite possible that actually the stream inside the file is flagged incorrectly, uses a wrong encoding or has some meta data with wrong encoding attached.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: conversion unicode failed =(
                  MiKKi Chan Level 1
                  But what is your user account's default language setting? By that I don't mean the language switch in the menu bar, but the language it was set to at the time it was created.

english

how the files were created and transferred to the system.

i downloaded them , the videos that im talking about is downloaded from youtube i use some site to convert them to mp4

http://keephd.com/

and i also have some other avi files who also downloaded from some sites and still have the same problem with them.

and im sorry if im not answering ur question correctly because i dont really understand what do u mean very well , im not very good at this

Especially MPEG derivatives can have so many variations, it's quite possible that actually the stream inside the file is flagged incorrectly, uses a wrong encoding or has some meta data with wrong encoding attached.

ok can you tell me how can i check on them to see ?

• 6. Re: conversion unicode failed =(
                    yenaphe Level 4

Ok, my guess is that their encoder use some kind of flags that your language specific version of AE can't understand correctly, because of the unicode conversion.

You can try to convert the videos in QuickTime Pro to Animation codec for exemple in order to import them to AE. mp4 is not a "good" way to import files into AE, because mp4 is a broadcast codec, not optimised for compositing.

If you do not have Quicktime Pro, you can download the free FFMpeg converter for Mac and convert your mp4 to animation quicktime (.mov).

Tell me if this works for you.

• 7. Re: conversion unicode failed =(
                      MiKKi Chan Level 1

i converted them but it didnt work , but i figured out another way

( Importing the video in iMovie and then Save it as .mov , and it worked )