14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2008 3:16 PM by Newsgroup_User

Can't get to my HTML - help!

LidkaS
      While I was updating home page of a website that gets and will get updated often, suddenly I lost access to HTML. It is grayed out and seems locked. This happened after (but NOT immediately) I detached this page from the template (the navigation ia also being optimized page by page).
      The changes done WYSIWYG in the design part of the window, or in BBEdit (and probably in any text editor) reflect in the coding and layout fine but it's a pain in a b... to have to go out of Dreamweaver.
      I can't see anything in the code that could cause it and I cannot figure out what I did nor can I find any place in Dreamweaver where I could lock or unlock the access to HTML.
      Other files behave normally. I checked this on three computers, all of them produce the same result, so I don't think that reinstalling Dreamweaver will fix it. Has anybody had a similar experience? HELP, I am going bananas!
        • 1. Re: Can't get to my HTML - help!
          Level 7
          > happened after (but NOT immediately) I detached this page from the
          > template

This is usually ALWAYS the wrong thing to do.

> or in BBEdit (and
          > probably in any text editor) reflect in the coding and layout fine but
          > it's a
          > pain in a b... to have to go out of Dreamweaver.

If you are working on Template controlled pages, this is ALWAYS the wrong
          thing to do.

> I can't see anything in the code that could cause it

But we can, which is why I say "Show us your code".

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"LidkaS" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g6i37d$6nk$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > While I was updating home page of a website that gets and will get updated
          > often, suddenly I lost access to HTML. It is grayed out and seems locked.
          > This
          > happened after (but NOT immediately) I detached this page from the
          > template
          > (the navigation ia also being optimized page by page).
          > The changes done WYSIWYG in the design part of the window, or in BBEdit
          > (and
          > probably in any text editor) reflect in the coding and layout fine but
          > it's a
          > pain in a b... to have to go out of Dreamweaver.
          > I can't see anything in the code that could cause it and I cannot figure
          > out
          > what I did nor can I find any place in Dreamweaver where I could lock or
          > unlock
          > the access to HTML.
          > Other files behave normally. I checked this on three computers, all of
          > them
          > produce the same result, so I don't think that reinstalling Dreamweaver
          > will
          > fix it. Has anybody had a similar experience? HELP, I am going bananas!
          >

• 2. Re: Can't get to my HTML - help!
            LidkaS Level 1
            Thanks a million for fast response.
            Yes, templates: the whole hell broke loose after the website got to the optimizing guy who changed tags page by page also in the navigation which was a non-editable region before, changeable only from template. Anyway, of course as soon as I needed to change a nav bar globally, I got rid of his tags at the same time. A 30 minutes job to take a couple of links off the popup turned into a nightmarish four days (the optimizing guy was not available). SInce he analyzes and optimizes quarterly or as new pages are added, the templates unfortunately had to be skipped for now. I was not aware of problems with detaching templates - what's the work around? Copy and paste into a new document?
            Anyway, that's the background. The home page code is attached (if you need the original template, I will attach that to) - please note that this is work in progress, not a finished page and that I am aware that the alt tags in the nav bar are in wrong places (with td tags) for now until I I'll drop spacer images into the empty cells.
            Thanks!
            • 3. Re: Can't get to my HTML - help!
              Level 7
              > the whole hell broke loose after the website got to the
              > optimizing guy who changed tags page by page also in the navigation which
              > was a
              > non-editable region before

I hope you didn't pay for this carnage. Anyone who would mangle your site
              like this is a moron.

> SInce he
              > analyzes and optimizes quarterly

You learn from your mistakes. This individual is a menace to you. I would
              fire him/her immediately.

As far as I can see from the code below, this person has sold you a bill of
              goods. They aren't adding anything worth a plugged nickel to your site.

And so MANY layers (oy veh!)....

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              ==================
              ==================

news:g6i8ie$c0g$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Thanks a million for fast response.
              > Yes, templates: the whole hell broke loose after the website got to the
              > optimizing guy who changed tags page by page also in the navigation which
              > was a
              > non-editable region before, changeable only from template. Anyway, of
              > course
              > as soon as I needed to change a nav bar globally, I got rid of his tags at
              > the
              > same time. A 30 minutes job to take a couple of links off the popup
              > turned
              > into a nightmarish four days (the optimizing guy was not available).
              > SInce he
              > analyzes and optimizes quarterly or as new pages are added, the templates
              > unfortunately had to be skipped for now. I was not aware of problems with
              > detaching templates - what's the work around? Copy and paste into a new
              > document?
              > Anyway, that's the background. The home page code is attached (if you
              > need
              > the original template, I will attach that to) - please note that this is
              > work
              > in progress, not a finished page and that I am aware that the alt tags in
              > the
              > nav bar are in wrong places (with td tags) for now until I I'll drop
              > spacer
              > images into the empty cells.
              > Thanks!
              >

• 4. Re: Can't get to my HTML - help!
                LidkaS Level 1
                And, please explain, why is it wrong to work in template-controlled environment? I've done close to 20 websites over the past ten years (not too many because I also do projects for print, teach, write, etc), mostly using good old BBEdit. This is my third Dreamweaver website - but the first one with optimization page by page by somebody else and with a major number of updates. Knowing that there will be plenty of changes over time, including the nav bar (as this travel agency adds new voyages and cancels others), I assumed that the template solution will be the best for editing it fast.
                Obviously I was wrong. Why?
                • 5. Re: Can't get to my HTML - help!
                  Level 7
                  dreamweaver templates only "do" something within dreamweaver.

Handing a site off to a third-party to edit it anywhere they want is asking
                  for the either the site to be mangled, or at best all the edits they do to
                  be reverted the first time you edit it in dreamweaver.

Hope you have a backup from before it was touched by the third party, AND
                  made a backup of the new files before you touched them again.

--
                  Alan
                  Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 6. Re: Can't get to my HTML - help!
                    LidkaS Level 1
                    Oh, yes, I know what happens when you let others fiddle with your work :)
                    I have by now so many back ups, before and after revisions, you would laugh (I do, every time I look at it, otherwise I would cry:)
                    But there was no other option this time - the programmer really is a great programmer, he offered a lot of attention to the optimizing process for not much money and is doing so because we've worked on other projects before, and the client - who is also a friend of my former student/client - has to turn the business around or else.

So, my question still stands: does anybody know how to make the grayed (greyed:) out HTML editable again?
                    • 7. Re: Can't get to my HTML - help!
                      Level 7
                      >does anybody know how to make the grayed
                      > (greyed:) out HTML editable again?

Just guessing but it could be an unclosed comment. Can't say for sure
                      without seeing the *complete* code for the page. The code you pasted is
                      incomplete, at least to those of us accessing this forum/newsgroup using
                      NNTP.

Please upload the page and post a link.

--

Walt

news:g6idr6$h7v$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Oh, yes, I know what happens when you let others fiddle with your work :)
                      > I have by now so many back ups, before and after revisions, you would
                      > laugh (I
                      > do, every time I look at it, otherwise I would cry:)
                      > But there was no other option this time - the programmer really is a great
                      > programmer, he offered a lot of attention to the optimizing process for
                      > not
                      > much money and is doing so because we've worked on other projects before,
                      > and
                      > the client - who is also a friend of my former student/client - has to
                      > turn the
                      > business around or else.
                      >
                      > So, my question still stands: does anybody know how to make the grayed
                      > (greyed:) out HTML editable again?
                      >

• 8. Re: Can't get to my HTML - help!
                        Level 7

<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->

That editable region is opened just before the title tag.

It is not closed, and not other template comments show after it.

The other person REMOVED all other template comments in the portion of code
                        you posted.

It's hosed as far as being a "template" page in dreamweaver.

Refer to a previous version of the page to see where the template comments
                        need to go. You'll probably have to use a text editor to insert them.

If you go to modify->templates->update at BEST you will get a warning
                        message and it will not modify any files.

At worst, it will destroy content.

--
                        Alan
                        Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 9. Re: Can't get to my HTML - help!
                          LidkaS Level 1
                          Alan, I can't thank you enough! This fixed the problem with grayed out HTML like a charm - of course :):)
                          • 10. Re: Can't get to my HTML - help!
                            LidkaS Level 1
                            And Walt, thank you very much, too, you guessed right :)
                            L.
                            • 11. Re: Can't get to my HTML - help!
                              Level 7
                              The problem still remains, however. These pages ARE NOT OPTIMIZED for
                              search engine exposure. This individual added keywords (which are ignored
                              by the major search engines) AND NOTHING ELSE, and hosed your Template
                              function in the process (note that I never said it was wrong to work in a
                              template environment - I do all the time). You have been sold a bill of
                              goods by this person....

--
                              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                              Adobe Community Expert
                              ==================
                              ==================

news:g6j4d4$9u3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > And Walt, thank you very much, too, you guessed right :)
                              > L.

• 12. Re: Can't get to my HTML - help!
                                Level 7
                                You're welcome. Glad you got it sorted out.

And... I strongly suggest you heed Murray's warning re: the optimizer guy.
                                He is apparently incompetent.

--

Walt

news:g6j4d4$9u3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                > And Walt, thank you very much, too, you guessed right :)
                                > L.

• 13. Re: Can't get to my HTML - help!
                                  LidkaS Level 1
                                  Thanks Murray and Walt, indeed, the results of his work are not producing much response.

At some point he had a link on the index page to the file with hidden links but I heard that this was outlawed and passed it onto him to check - he took this piece of code out of there, so maybe I heard right.

From what I know he is optimizing page by page but I haven't seen anything else other than alt tags and tags in href tags.

Since I am not an optimizing guru, could you enlighten me as to what else should be there, so that I can talk sense with him?
                                  Thanks!
                                  • 14. Re: Can't get to my HTML - help!
                                    Level 7
                                    > so that I can talk sense with him?

Perhaps you would want to consider using someone else? This individual
                                    sounds like they are without much understanding of the process. Besides,
                                    you don't want to have to train them to do the work you hired them to do, do
                                    you?

Anyhow, if you want to read about what's really important in SEO, go here -

http://www.seomoz.org/articles/search-ranking-factors.php

or here -

http://www.dreamweaverresources.com/seo/

You won't find much mention there of meta keywords, or alt attributes.

--
                                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                    Adobe Community Expert
                                    ==================
                                    ==================

news:g6l8qr$ma2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > Thanks Murray and Walt, indeed, the results of his work are not producing
                                    > much
                                    > response.
                                    >
                                    > At some point he had a link on the index page to the file with hidden
                                    > links
                                    > but I heard that this was outlawed and passed it onto him to check - he
                                    > took
                                    > this piece of code out of there, so maybe I heard right.
                                    >
                                    > From what I know he is optimizing page by page but I haven't seen anything
                                    > else other than alt tags and tags in href tags.
                                    >
                                    > Since I am not an optimizing guru, could you enlighten me as to what else
                                    > should be there, so that I can talk sense with him?
                                    > Thanks!
                                    >
                                    >