26 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2009 6:18 PM by mejanr

archiving project PE7

mejanr

Hi,

I have just tried to archive my project, however, I get "An unknown error occurred during project archiver" Then " PE running low on system memory" I have saved and tried again several times but still no luck. I still have 115 GB on my hard drive.

Any suggestions as to the next step?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: archiving project PE7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you ensured that both your working drive and the drive you're going to archive to are formatted NTFS rather than FAT32?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: archiving project PE7
            mejanr Level 1

Hello,

Just checked properties of both hard drives and they are both formatted NTFS

I also just burnt my project to a folder, however, WMP won't play it as they say it is a .pvm file again??

Mejan

P.S. I found that if I right click on dvd drive in Computer and click play the dvd plays OK in WMP. But not any other way - weird.

Still can't archive my project tho'

Thanks

• 3. Re: archiving project PE7
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm sorry. If you're using the Project Archiver to archive to an external hard drive that is formatted NTFS and it won't go, I don't know what the problem is.

I've never heard of a problem with the Project Archiver, other than space and file size.

• 4. Re: archiving project PE7
                mejanr Level 1

Hi,

I have two hard drives on my laptop - no external drive. I have been trying to archive project to the hard drive that contains my project autosaves etc.

I guess burning it to a folder is just as good?

Thanks

P.S. Meant to say before that when i click on archive project, a box comes up saying Trimming Media, then the unown error box after that. I have noticed Trimmed clips files on hard drive and when i click to open they are narration clips that won't play? Confusing!

• 5. Re: archiving project PE7
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, I think there might be confusion on what an "archived" Project is. It is just a backup of the Project with necessary media. It is NOT an AV file.

This ARTICLE will give you a bit of background on Project files vs AV files. The archived file will be a Project file with necessary Assets, so you can load it up (ideally from a separate location, like an external HDD), for later editing. All Assets should be inculded in this archive.

As for resources, this ARTICLE might give you some ideas on "trimming" down the "stuff" that is on your computer, that will sap resources.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: archiving project PE7
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

mejanr

Good Morning.

I have something for you to try with regard to the Premiere Elements Project Archiver.

You can indeed Project Archive directly to your external hard drive, providing there is adequate space there.

Check out the available space on the external hard drive versus the space required for the folder to be generated (see Project Archiver dialog box).

Try the Project Archiver/Copy option instead of the Archiver option. The generic name for the folder generated for Archiver = "Trimmed" whereas the generic name for the folder generated for Copy = "Copied". If it works, then read on.....

I need to dust off my memory, but I think that I got involved in a situation not so long ago where the Archiver option would not work, but the Copy option did for this specific project. It turned out that the offending element was the use of a video that had been converted to DV AVI in the WIndows Movie Maker and then incorporated into the Premiere Elements Timeline. Apparently when you incorporate a DV AVI from Windows Movie Maker into your project, the Project Archiver/Archiver option does not work. The DV AVI from Windows Movie Maker is Microsoft DV AVI type 1 and Premiere Elements uses Microsoft DV AVI type 2. So, if you take your Windows Movie Maker DV AVI type 1 into DVDate http://paul.glagla.free.fr/dvdate_en.htm and convert it to type 2, voila the Archiver now works for the project if it is selected in the Project Archiver.

I will see if I can dig out that reference.

ATR

• 7. Re: archiving project PE7
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Did you forget my saga about Window Movie Maker Microsoft DV AVI type 1 and 2 and the Premiere Elements Project Archiver??

ATR

• 8. Re: archiving project PE7
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

mejanr

Just an after thought add,

You really do want to be using the Premiere Elements Project Archiver if you want the option to reopen and re-edit the project without a lot of messy reconnect media issues.

Project Archiver/Archiver option...basically saves project.prel + just the source media that went into the Timeline (See Help PDF for extra details)

Project Archiver/Copy option...basically save project.prel + the source media that went into the Timeline + all the media in the Media Area (whether it was brought to the Timeline or not).

Archiver option contents are all in a folder "Trimmed....."

Copy option contents are all in a folder "Copied...."

Low Memory Messages put another complexion on the issue so watch what is happening to your memory situation...maybe check out Task Manager Performance....installed vs available RAM, virtual memory setup.... but first check out that Premiere Elements Archiver Copy option to see if that is a GO or NO GO.

ATR

• 9. Re: archiving project PE7
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Tony,

You make a very important distinction with these lines:

Archiver option contents are all in a folder "Trimmed....."

Copy option contents are all in a folder "Copied...."

If one is certain that they will NOT need to reset any In, or Out Points, then "Trimmed" will limit the size of the media files included. The media files will be Trimmed to what appears on the Timeline. Now, if one might want to reset some In, or Out Points to include more Frames, then they will want copies of the full media files, so that the necessary material is available.

Thanks for pointing this out, as it IS important and can spell the difference between one method working perfectly, and a "surprise" later on.

Hunt

• 10. Re: archiving project PE7
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

mejanr

Here is the link to the thread over at another forum where I got involved in this Windows Movie Maker DV AVI and Premiere Elements Project Archiver/Archiver-Copy options issue.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48562

The details that Hunt has just introduced can be found in the program's PDF Help description of the Project Archiver and its options. Nice write up there.

But, I think that we need first to rule in or out the computer memory/resources and Windows Movie Maker DV AVI angles.

ATR

• 11. Re: archiving project PE7
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              I think that we need first to rule in or out the computer memory/resources and Windows Movie Maker DV AVI angles

I agree completely. If those issues are handled, much might be able to work perfectly. Trying to find ways "around" those issues will likely just involve much more work, and might never work right. Getting the system running perfectly, should be "job 1."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: archiving project PE7
                                mejanr Level 1

Hi,

My memory resources are Total available Memory 1,287,296 KB. Is that enough for archiving?

Also, I know I am slow, but I do not see where I can do a copy archive was it? that you mentioned previously.

I need to archive project before de-cluttering I guess. Thanks

Mejan

P. S. Windows MovieMaker popped up when I was doing ImG Burn but I closed it down.   

• 13. Re: archiving project PE7
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mejanr

In Premiere Elements 7/File Menu/Project Archiver

Project Archiver Dialog

There are 2 options at the top: Archive Project and Copy Project. For Copy, you would dot the Copy Project.

Also in that dialog will be places for:

Project Location...browse and set for your external hard drive

Disk Space....Disc Space Available and New Saved Project Size....make sure the available value exceeds the project size value.

It is a fairly quick process. When you go to the "Copied.." folder in the saved location, you will find the project.prel (which you will click on to open the project) and the media that the opened project will refer back to as source media. And, that media will be all the media used on the original project's Timeline as all the media that you imported into the original project's media area (whether it was used on the Timeline or not).

As for ImgBurn, that is one strange program other it does seem to work for the goal of burning a VIDEO_TS to a DVD disc.

Looking forward to your continued progress.

ATR

• 14. Re: archiving project PE7
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Add On

Your 1287296 KB (about 1.3 GB) RAM should get your through the task. It is not clear if that 1.3 GB RAM is intalled or available RAM. If installed, the available value is probably much less. But, your 115 GB free hard drive space and about 1 GB RAM should get you through archiving most projects. Ideal is to work with 2 to 4 GB RAM installed in Premiere Elements, but....I squeeze through with most of my Premiere Elements 7 project activities with about 1 GB available RAM and about 60 GB local drive free hard drive space and about 200 GB free external hard drive space.

ATR

• 15. Re: archiving project PE7
                                      mejanr Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for that - I may have to get an external hard drive I think.

Have you ever exported project as an AVI file from PE (export movie) Then brought file into new project and burnt from PE. I did it and it worked O.K. I now can't decide whether to start burning all my copies like that, or straight from PE (share), or with ImGBurn. They all look the same when played on TV.

I am also afraid to delete anything off hard drive now in case it is a source file for myproject, but after archiving I will not have to worry about that will I? I must read the ARTICLE about what you can and can't delete. So much to absorb for someone who is not all tha computer savvy!!!

Will try achiving again.

Mejan

• 16. Re: archiving project PE7
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

mejanr

I think that I spoke to several of your questions in your other thread, but I will repeat some again nonetheless.

Yes I have converted my Premiere Elements Timeline to DV AVI via File Menu/Export/Movie many times. When you do that you end up with an automatically placed copy in the Premiere Elements Media as well as a copy saved to the hard drive location that you designated. Before you initiated the actual export, consider the project preset (new project dialog) and the export settings that are displayed. By that I mean this. If your project preset is NTSC DV Standard, the default setting will be for DV AVI NTSC standard. If your project preset is NTSC DV Widescreen, the default setting will be for DV AVI NTSC widescreen. Bottom line: check out the export setting and do not take them for granted. You can clear your Timeline and drag the DV AVI from the media to the Timeline.

Are you considering this to get rid of the jerky nature of some of your video and has it? Often format conversion is a workaround to problem video, but do look at the Field Options to see if any have any impact on the issues at hand.

I am a Share/Disc/Disc person who would highly recommend Burn to Disc with Premiere Elements built in Sonic Software, using DVD-R for delivery. This may not be a technical remark, but "ImgBurn" is not my piece of cake and/or cup of tea. I got ingestion on my first go round with it.

As for deleting too much, if in doubt ask. Just do not delete the Styles Folder, although I think it would automatically regenerate itself anyway.

The to go list includes:

project .prel file

project.log file

project.session file

AutoSave Folder

Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder

Encoding Folder

Media Cache Folder

The media in the project can be deleted from the hard drive, but you do not want to do that if think that you will need that media for another project. Maybe head it over to the external hard drive or burn it to a DVD disc if you need the local and/or hard drive space.

That is it for now. Remember, as I suggested before, weigh all options, explore and experiment, and go with what works for you, is practical, and looks good to you.

ATR

• 17. Re: archiving project PE7
                                          mejanr Level 1

Success! I have archived a copy of my project.

Now for some spring - cleaning.

Thanks so much for help.

Mejan

• 18. Re: archiving project PE7
                                            mejanr Level 1

Hi,

My archived copy ended up being 18.8 GB!!!!

I was going to put it on disc for safe keeping, but that will be a mammoth task.

Mejan

• 19. Re: archiving project PE7
                                              mejanr Level 1

Hi,

Exporting project as an avi file did not fix jerky footage unfortunately. Oh well I will just burn to folder from PE7, then burn x3 with ImgBurn for now.

Thanks.

Mejan

• 20. Re: archiving project PE7
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                My archived copy ended up being 18.8 GB!!!! I was going to put it on disc for safe keeping, but that will be a mammoth task.

That was what I was talking about with software to "span" multiple discs. That was also why we recommended an external HDD for this task. I use about 20 1 - 2 TB units for this. Fortunately for you, their prices have really fallen. Unfortunately for me, they used to cost a fortune! Still, I have been using them for years, so I guess I got my $'s worth out of them.

Video files are huge. There is no way around that, except to buy HDD space. Sad, but true.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: archiving project PE7
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                  Exporting project as an avi file did not fix jerky footage unfortunately. Oh well I will just burn to folder from PE7, then burn x3 with ImgBurn for now.

I am sorry to hear this. I thought that Tony had it cured with the Field Reversal. Dang!

Now, you do know that the burning will not address this, but only gain you the greatest player compatibility. Right?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: archiving project PE7
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

mejanr

I have been working on what you described as jerky video from the Fields angle with a possible assist from format conversion. Looks like no go. We could also invoke the AntiFlicker in the Motion Panel of the Properties Palette for the video, HOWEVER....

What if we approached this from yet another angle, namely, jerky motion because of the motion of the camera (without a tripod) as you were shooting your video. Maybe? If a possibility, Premiere Elements 7 has something that might fix that...Edit Mode (Orange Tab)/Effects/Video Effects/Video Stabilizer.

There is a video tutorial in the Learning Center of another web site that gives a how to. It is demo'd with Premiere Elements 4, but same thing in this case.

http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/learningcenter/index_premiere_4.php

ATR

• 23. Re: archiving project PE7
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

mejanr

Just me again picking up on the 18 GB Project Archiver/Copy option archived project.

Are you sure about that value?

When you went to the File Menu/Project Archiver/selected Copy option, what were the values for the following before you started the process:

Original project size

and

New Saved Project Size

Were the units KB, MB, or GB?

Going back for a moment to the Project Archiver/Archiver option and a possible reason for that not working, did you ever say if your Timeline contained any DV AVI from the Windows Movie Maker?

I need to think on this some more, but, if as is, a large capacity, healthy external hard drive (formatted NTFS) would need immediate consideration.

To be continued.....

ATR

• 24. Re: archiving project PE7
                                                        mejanr Level 1

Hi?

Copied archive definitely 18.8 GB but PE Preview files only approx. 11 GB. Guess I need to copy the 18.8GB though.

I think you are right re avi files being the reason project archiver/archiver option did not work for me, as I have 3 avi. clips in project that I captured as home footage from a VHS recorder.

An external hard drive is the next step!

Thanks.

• 25. Re: archiving project PE7
                                                          mejanr Level 1

Thanks will try video stabilizer and see what happens

Mejan

• 26. Re: archiving project PE7
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Let's talk about the Preview files. These are generated when one chooses to Render the Project. They do help with smoother playback, but that is it. They are not necessary for the Project to load, or to be edited. If needed again, they can be regenerated. If you have the space, keeping them will save some time, if you need to Render the entire Timeline. Otherwise, they are not necessary.

Good luck,

Hunt