5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2009 6:35 AM by Steve Fairbairn

Map artwork over more than one surface

GilesS

I'm using Illustrator in CS2.

Is tthere a way to map a single piece of artwork across more than one surface?

I'm mocking up what a display stand might look like. I created a rectangle with rounded ends (completely rounded, so they are actually semicircles) and have then extruded this as a 3D object. The original rectangle effectively becomes the base of my stand, while the extruded surface represents its face. My plan was to apply the artwork to the face, starting on one of the rounded ends, going across the front and on to the other end - but it looks as if Illustrator can manage only one surface at a time.

I can think of a work-around, which would be to split my image into three and then map the first section to one end, the main portion to the front face and the third section to the other end, but I'm hoping there's a way to do it "properly". Anyone got any thoughts?

Giles.

• 1. Re: Map artwork over more than one surface
          Steve Fairbairn Level 5

Don't think so. You can't select multiple surfaces. It was the same problem in Dimensions.

There's one thing you can do though that often works quite well:

Make your 3D object without mapping and expand it.

Having done that, use each surface as a top object distort envelope on the artwork in question.

The artwork will need to be in the correct proportions for it to distort correctly. So if the side of your box is say 2 x 3 units, the artwork for that side will also have to be 2 x 3 but the actual size and positioning doesn't matter

If you are using photographs, they will need to be embedded for the distort to work.

Any shading will have to be done manually afterwards.

No need to use symbols for this kind of work but it's a good idea to use copies of the originals before you do the top object distort.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Map artwork over more than one surface
            GilesS Level 1

Thanks Steve, I'll give that a go (particularly since my own suggested work-around has run into an inexplicable problem!)

Giles.

• 3. Re: Map artwork over more than one surface
              Steve Fairbairn Level 5

Just to make things a bit clearer: It doesn't matter where your original artwork for each surface is on the artboard, nor how big it is. Just that its relative proportions are right. As soon as you do your front object distort, the artwork will appear in the envelope. But do it with a copy, otherwise your original will disappear. And of course the "front object" has to be in front of the artwork for that surface.

• 4. Re: Map artwork over more than one surface
                GilesS Level 1

OK, got it - thanks.

Giles.

• 5. Re: Map artwork over more than one surface
                  Steve Fairbairn Level 5

Of course if you have oddly shaped bits (like T or E shaped or shapes with bits cut out of them) you will need to map the artwork to a rectangle and then mask it. But for ordinary rectangular shapes or things like curved walls in perspective and cans and things the envelope method works fine.