20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2009 10:14 AM by GlennCurtis

CS4 - Crashing and more crashing

GlennCurtis

I am in the processing of editing a 15 minute video that includes at the end a sequence of jpg photos.

Now admittedly I am mixing and using motion effects on the pictures (position and scale).

When I add a photo to the timeline make the necessary effects etc changes I have resorted to rendering a particular photo each time I add one.

Unfortunately, if the sequence is say 15 seconds in length almost every time Premiere crashes (when rendering); not spectacularly with an error; no the application just closes.  I have searched the windows logs and there are no errors.

If I then do a render of just a small segment of the same sequence in the timeline of say 5 seconds; this goes fine.  That way I can actually render the whole sequence with the same picture but doing it in a few second increments.

I even resorted to opening each photo in Photoshop and resaving it just in case there was something funny going on.

I have ProspectHD installed and have plenty of free disc space on the PC.  I've tried deleting all the render files and starting again but that didn't make any difference.  There are no gaps in the sequences.

I have nearly reached the end of my project but have no idea what will happen when I try and render the whole thing and produce an output.

Has anyone any ideas what I can do to resolve this issue or even identify what may be causing it in the first place?

Glenn

• 1. Re: CS4 - Crashing and more crashing
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Common cause can be temperatures, PSU and background processes. Have a look at the second part If you need help quickly...Guideline for posting an effective question

• 2. Re: CS4 - Crashing and more crashing
            GlennCurtis Level 1

Thanks the tools you listed in the link certainly show some interesting things to monitor such as the temperature.

I've had a look also at the background processes too.

If the problems continue I'll report back.

Glenn

• 3. Re: CS4 - Crashing and more crashing
              Harm Millaard Level 7

If you post the screenshots and attach the DXDIAG.txt file, I'll have a look to see if I can discern anything out of the ordinary.

• 4. Re: CS4 - Crashing and more crashing
                GlennCurtis Level 1

Thanks

Attached are the DxDiag and MSInfo files and the process one which I have just taken.

• 5. Re: CS4 - Crashing and more crashing
                  GlennCurtis Level 1

The rest of the processes and also the temperature information.

This was taken just now when I am using Media encoder and also have premiere running but idle.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Glenn

• 6. Re: CS4 - Crashing and more crashing
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Glenn,

Based on the DXDIAG.txt:

1. Your video driver is out of date. It is dated 10/17/2008 and the most current version is from 08/2009. Go to the ATI site and download the Vista (32 or 64?) driver, indicated as 9.08 (year/month).

2. Check your audio driver as well, whether a newer version is available than the 6/26/2008 one you currently use.

3. From the looks of it, you may have partitioned some raid drives. I don't understand the setup of drive C, D and J. Can you explain this disk setup?

4. You have FFDShow installed. This is a well known cause of trouble. I suggest you remove it completely. Other suspicuous filters are Haali Matroska, DivX, XVid,  as well as a number of pretty unknown (to me) filters, like SAMI, Monogram, Theora, Speex, etc. Your system is full of so many filters, that it is easy to have serious corruption here.

In the next reply, I'll have a look at the rest of the info.

• 7. Re: CS4 - Crashing and more crashing
                      GlennCurtis Level 1

Project settings for the sequence might be useful for you too:

Editing mode: HDV 1080i

Timebase: 25 fps

Video:

Frame size: 1440 x 1080 vertical 16:9

Pixel aspect ratio HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.333)

Fields: Upper field first

Display format: 25 fps timecode

Audio

Sample rate 48000 Hz

Display format Audio Samples

Video previews

Preview file format I-Frame only MPEG

Codec: MPEG I-Frame

• 8. Re: CS4 - Crashing and more crashing
                        GlennCurtis Level 1

To answer your questions:

The disc setup is as follows:

Physical disc 0 contains the C and J drives which are separate partitions

Physical disc 1 contains the F drive as one single partition of 500 Gb

I do all my editing on the F drive

• 9. Re: CS4 - Crashing and more crashing
                          GlennCurtis Level 1

I've updated the video driver; got rid of FFDSHOW and loads of codecs.

I've also rerun sysinfo and dxdiag and attach the results.

Following that I rebooted the PC and loaded my premiere project.

I told it to delete all the render files and then did a re-render of the work area.

After about a minute, Premiere crashed out by closing down.

I haven't worked out the audio device drivers yet though.

Thanks for all your help in looking at this.

Glenn

• 10. Re: CS4 - Crashing and more crashing
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Temperatures are no problem. OK, you are on Vista 32.

In the processes you have Search Indexer on, you have SideBar on and you have Avast! on. All three have a serious negative effect on performance. The same may apply to Diskeeper, if scheduling was used. I suggest you turn off Search indexer, by going to My Computer, click and for all your drives right click, select properties and turn off the bottom tick box, apply that to all directories and sub directories. Skip files Vista says can not be un-indexed.

Turn off the sidebar completely and when editing, turn off Avast! as well.

Why have you partitioned your C (632 GB), D (15 GB), J (544 GB) and a hidden (system restore with 62 MB?) drives?

Serious problem: You have K-Lite installed. It may require a complete reformat  of C and reinstall of OS and programs.

Download CCleaner.exe and in the startup options disable or remove Sidebar, WelcomeCenter, IAANotif, StartCCC, dellsupportcenter, avast!

• 11. Re: CS4 - Crashing and more crashing
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

OT for your problem, but are you using teamed NIC's? Interesting to see that they are Intel 82566DC NIC chips with Dell MAC addresses and are reporting a 2 Gb speed.

What is going on with your Network Magic? Why is the latest error from 'nmsrvc'? Could that be IAANotif.exe? I haven't noticed you using a raid anywhere.

Do you happen to have any ProDad effects in your project?

• 12. Re: CS4 - Crashing and more crashing
                                GlennCurtis Level 1

Re your OT items:

I am guessing that the Network Magic error is the one telling me that I am not using the latest version as I haven't updated it on my PC yet.

No I am not using teamed NICs (at least I don't think I am) I should only have one network adaptor.

I don't have any raid discs.

I am not using any ProDad effects (in fact, excuse my ignorance but I don't know what they are).  The only effects are the standard Premiere ones and the Cineform ones (really only the dissolves).

• 13. Re: CS4 - Crashing and more crashing
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I asked about ProDad, because it appears to be installed on your system. See Start Menu/Programs/proDAD.

• 14. Re: CS4 - Crashing and more crashing
                                    GlennCurtis Level 1

You are right; it is installed - I am dumb.

OK an update for you.

Why have you partitioned your C (632 GB), D (15 GB), J (544 GB) and a hidden (system restore with 62 MB?) drives?

For backing up to my homeserver, I have kept all software etc on the C partition.  There is no (or virtually no) data held there.

The D partition is one set up by Dell so that the PC can be restored back to its factory delivered condition should I need to do so.

The J partition contains data and I have used it to contain Premiere stuff although not in this instance.

In the processes you have Search Indexer on, you have SideBar on and you have Avast! on. All three have a serious negative effect on performance. The same may apply to Diskeeper, if scheduling was used. I suggest you turn off Search indexer, by going to My Computer, click and for all your drives right click, select properties and turn off the bottom tick box, apply that to all directories and sub directories. Skip files Vista says can not be un-indexed.

Turn off the sidebar completely and when editing, turn off Avast! as well.

Serious problem: You have K-Lite installed. It may require a complete reformat  of C and reinstall of OS and programs.

Download CCleaner.exe and in the startup options disable or remove Sidebar, WelcomeCenter, IAANotif, StartCCC, dellsupportcenter, avast!

I have done the following:

Updated Network Magic

Applied Windows updates

Run CCleaner and deleted the Sidebar, WelcomeCenter, IAANotif, StartCCC and dellsupportcenter

Switched off the search indexer for all drives

Changed the setting in Diskeeper so that it doesn’t run when I am doing an editing session (basically stopped it running 9-5)

Switched off Avast on-Access protection when I am editing

I then loaded my project into Premiere again and started to do the rendering and after a minute or so, the same thing happened ie Premiere terminated.

Uninstalled ProDAD, rebooted.

Tried again; this time I get an error “error compiling movie – unknown error message”

Rebooted PC

Tried again; same error.

I think at least it might be giving me something to look at so I might try and render in small chunks so I can see if I can isolate where the problem is.

• 15. Re: CS4 - Crashing and more crashing
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Have you tried uninstalling all K-Lite stuff? This may often prove difficult to completely remove, but if it works, it will save you the time and effort to do a complete reinstall.

Tried again; this time I get an error “error compiling movie – unknown error message”

Rebooted PC

Tried again; same error.

You mean error compiling movie...? That sounds promising, because that error is less drastic than just closing the program. It also means that now it appears to be timeline/project/sequence/export related.

Did anybody ever tell you troubleshooting is time consuming?

• 16. Re: CS4 - Crashing and more crashing
                                        GlennCurtis Level 1

Yes, troubleshooting is time consuming and I can't thank you enough for your help.

The stage I am at now is that following the error "compiling movie"; I did a reboot.

Following that it did crash on me again with the just shutting down Premiere.

I then did a render of just the first 30 seconds and it went through OK.

I then rendered at the 01:00, 01:15, 2:00, 7:00, 10:00. 12:00 and 15:00 mark in those increments and in all cases it went through without any issues.

It is possible there was something dodgy round the 25 second mark.

The sequence from 12-15 has some quite intense rendering to do as it contains most of the still picture processing and it did go through without any trouble this time.  This was not the case yesterday.

It does look like we may have solved a lot of the issues.

Do you have any views on whether there is anything else I should try and do (I will see about getting rid of K-Lite although I can't find where to delete it from at a first glance - I might have to have a look on the Internet)?

• 17. Re: CS4 - Crashing and more crashing
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

The trouble with all these codec packs is that it is extremely difficult to get rid of them. Manual labour or reinstalling are about the only options. Luckily I have never installed one, so I also have never experienced the problems of removing them, but going by the number of problems/complaints it is very wise never to install codec packs. I can't help you on how to remove the K-Lite package, but maybe Internet can give you some approaches.

I mentioned a couple of other filters you have installed, like Matroska and Speex (drawback of the Jive software that you can't scroll back to previous posts when answering, so I may have misspelled). I don't think XVid and DivX will cause these problems. If there is any suspect JPG file where it seems that the encoding process has difficulties with (like at the 25s mark you mentioned), you could try to open it in PS and save it as 'Anothername.JPG' and replace the troublesome file in your timeline. Maybe that helps.

BTW,

28-08-2009 21-47-48.jpg

• 18. Re: CS4 - Crashing and more crashing
                                            GlennCurtis Level 1

You're so right.

Once again many thanks for your help.

Best wishes

Glenn

• 19. Re: CS4 - Crashing and more crashing
                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Thanks for the points Glenn, but I still would like to know if we have now solved your problem, so keep it going...

• 20. Re: CS4 - Crashing and more crashing
                                                GlennCurtis Level 1

Will do!

I won't be able to do any more investigating until next week though.