4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2009 10:02 AM by msakrejda

Is a liquid text size possible?

William Spence Level 1

Hi.  I am having an application written for Adobe Air using Flex Builder 3.  It is a very graphical application so we want to design it for a maximum screen resolution of 2560x1600, but 1/3 or our market still uses 1024x768 so we really need a liquid design for our application to look professional.  Getting the graphics to resize has been no problem for my programmer, but we have hit a snag when it comes to making the text liquid in size as well.  Is it possible to make text liquid in size using Flex Builder 3?  Do you know of any tutorial links or have any general suggestion that could help us learn how to do this?  Thanks for any help you can offer.

• 1. Re: Is a liquid text size possible?
          babo_ya Level 3

If I understood your question correctly.

Most of my projects I have css just for labels, text anything that has fontsize. So, you could create couple of different versions of labels.css file and depending on what size the resolution is you can load the proper css file.

Hope this helps,

BaBo,

• 2. Re: Is a liquid text size possible?
            Barna Biro

The most straight forward solution would be to change the font size. Could you explain what problems were your developers facing? I can't really think of a situation that wouldn't let them change the font size ( or simply scale the component as a "last and desperate solution" ).

• 3. Re: Is a liquid text size possible?
              William Spence Level 1

I'm computer literate, but I am not a programmer so it will be a little hard to explain it in terms that are appropriate so I will do my best.  Our program layout is designed for a maximum resolution of 2650x1600.  All of the graphics and buttons are designed to be liquid, so they all resize appropriately to fit on smaller screen resolutions down to 1024x768.  But the text that goes with the buttons and icons, and things such as text instructions for the user or our help sections are not resizing "liquidly" like the graphics do, so I don't know if you can make text resize based on percentages like you can with images.  I've read enough to be dangerous, but not enough to help my programmer, about different units such as using em instead of px, CSS, etc.  If anyone could help point us in the right direction to make our text size scale dynamically when scaling the program dimensions, we would be very grateful.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Is a liquid text size possible?
                msakrejda Level 4

Essentially, you want a larger font size at large resolutions (because "the pixels are smaller"), right? There's no terribly good way to do that other than CSS, as suggested. You *could* try to inspect flash.system.Capabilities and dynamically set the default font size at startup based on resolution (before you do anything else), but I'm not sure how well this would work.

--
                Maciek Sakrejda
                Truviso, Inc.
                www.truviso.com
                Truviso is hiring: http://www.truviso.com/company-careers.php?i=87