9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 4:01 PM by Mr Binitie

FMIS application must mirror the VOD Application.xml setup in order to stream.. WHY???

Mr Binitie Level 1

In my investigation of the OSMF, I discovered that in order to stream from a FMIServer the application must either mirror the VOD application in terms of directory and Application.xml set-up or you must configure an Application.xml file for the application. The modification involves setting up the StreamManager tag to accept a VirtualDirectory tag and nested Stream tags with the stream directory paths. This seems to me a very irregular way to do this. The OSMF should be able to allow for streaming from a default FMIS setup structure and not require a setup that mirrors or is a facsimile of the VOD application.

• 1. Re: FMIS application must mirror the VOD Application.xml setup in order to stream.. WHY???
          bringrags Level 4

Sorry for the delayed response, but I wanted to wait until v0.5 was out to see if that addressed the problem.  (One of the OSMF developers fixed the bug you referred to in your last post, not sure if it's related.)  Can you reproduce this issue with the v0.5 release?  If so, can you file a bug (with the specific URL structure)?

Thanks,

Brian

• 2. Re: FMIS application must mirror the VOD Application.xml setup in order to stream.. WHY???
            Mr Binitie Level 1

Thanks for the response Brian, I'll do some extensive testing over the weekend and then file the appropriate bug reports if needed. I'm begining to think that the small matter of my development operating system being Linux - Ubuntu may also be an issue to thrown into the mix.

• 3. Re: FMIS application must mirror the VOD Application.xml setup in order to stream.. WHY???
              Mr Binitie Level 1

Hallo Brian,

Apologies for the lateness of this one. This has not been resolved. You cannot stream directly from your normal FMIS stream configuration.The setup must follow the VOD set up or it does not work.

aYo

• 4. Re: FMIS application must mirror the VOD Application.xml setup in order to stream.. WHY???
                Will Law Level 1

Hey aYo

I have been investigating this issue. Here's how I set up the server-side test:

1. On my local machine, I downloaded a clean copy of FMIS and installed it in the default developer license.

2. In the applications folder, I created a clean "clearwater" app, with no main.asc. Folder structure is Program Files\Adobe\Flash Media Server 3.5\applications\clearwater

3. I then created a named instance by creating Program Files\Adobe\Flash Media Server 3.5\applications\clearwater\streams\darkwater  folder structure. In the darkwater folder I placed a flv file and named it wolverine.flv. I belive this is the same set-up you had reported using in a different post. It certainly does not mirror the sample VOD app and it uses a named app instance instead of _defInst_

4. I then used v0.6 of the framwork and this simple code to stream it

package
                {
                    import flash.display.Sprite;
                    import flash.events.NetStatusEvent;

import org.osmf.display.MediaPlayerSprite;
                    import org.osmf.events.LoadableStateChangeEvent;
                    import org.osmf.media.URLResource;
                    import org.osmf.net.NetLoadedContext;
                    import org.osmf.net.NetLoader;
                    import org.osmf.traits.ILoadable;
                    import org.osmf.traits.LoadState;
                    import org.osmf.traits.MediaTraitType;
                    import org.osmf.utils.FMSURL;
                    import org.osmf.video.VideoElement;

[SWF(width="640", height="352")]
                    public class HelloWorld extends Sprite
                    {
                        public function HelloWorld()
                        {

var sprite:MediaPlayerSprite = new MediaPlayerSprite();
                            addChild(sprite);

sprite.element = new VideoElement
                                ( new NetLoader
                                , new URLResource(new FMSURL("rtmp://localhost/clearwater/darkwater/wolverine",true))
                                );
                        }

}
                }

This plays just fine for me. Can you replicate?

I'm still wondering why your tests were failing. Are you sure the URI you used was not "rtmp://localhost/clearwater/darkwater/wolverine.flv" ? Remember that OSMF does not strip trailing ".flv" from any FMSURL. So if you try a URI that ends in ".flv" then it will connect just fine but will set up a placholder live stream called "wolverine.flv" and you will get a NetStream.Play.Start and nothing else.

Cheers

Will

• 5. Re: FMIS application must mirror the VOD Application.xml setup in order to stream.. WHY???
                  Mr Binitie Level 1

I'll test tonight.

Thanks Will,

I appreciate it

Warm regards

aYo

Hey Ayo

I have been investigating this issue. Here's how I set up the server-side test:

1. On my local machine, I downloaded a clean copy of FMIS and installed it in the default developer license.

2. In the applications folder, I created a clean "clearwater" app, with no main.asc. Folder structure is Program Files\Adobe\Flash Media Server 3.5\applications\clearwater

3. I then created a named instance by creating Program Files\Adobe\Flash Media Server 3.5\applications\clearwater\streams\darkwater  folder structure. In the darkwater folder I placed a flv file and named it wolverine.flv. I belive this is the same set-up you had reported using in a different post. It certainly does not mirror the sample VOD app and it uses a named app instance instead of defInst

>

4. I then used v0.6 of the framwork and this simple code to stream it

package

{

import flash.display.Sprite;

import flash.events.NetStatusEvent;

import org.osmf.display.MediaPlayerSprite;

import org.osmf.events.LoadableStateChangeEvent;

import org.osmf.media.URLResource;

import org.osmf.net.NetLoadedContext;

import org.osmf.net.NetLoader;

import org.osmf.traits.ILoadable;

import org.osmf.traits.LoadState;

import org.osmf.traits.MediaTraitType;

import org.osmf.utils.FMSURL;

import org.osmf.video.VideoElement;

>

[SWF(width="640", height="352")]

public class HelloWorld extends Sprite

{

public function HelloWorld()

{

var sprite:MediaPlayerSprite = new MediaPlayerSprite();

addChild(sprite);

sprite.element = new VideoElement

( new NetLoader

, new URLResource(new FMSURL("rtmp://localhost/clearwater/darkwater/wolverine",true))

);

}

}

}

>

This plays just fine for me. Can you replicate?

I'm still wondering why your tests were failing. Are you sure the URI you used was not "rtmp://localhost/clearwater/darkwater/wolverine.flv" ? Remember that OSMF does not strip trailing ".flv" from any FMSURL. So if you try a URI that ends in ".flv" then it will connect just fine but will set up a placholder live stream called "wolverine.flv" and you will get a NetStream.Play.Start and nothing else.

Cheers

Will

>

• 6. Re: FMIS application must mirror the VOD Application.xml setup in order to stream.. WHY???
                    Mr Binitie Level 1

Hi Will,

There was no trailing .flv. I develop with Ubuntu/Eclipse-FDT3.5 or FlexBuilderLinux- my SDK is 3.5. When the useInstance flag is false the response is the fastest I've experienced but, when its trie sadly I still get a blank screen. I'm going to test the compiled swf on a windows machine to see if this is a Linux Debbug Player problem rather than a framework problem. I'll keep you posted. I've also attached the binary please let me know if it plays. The output does state that the connection to the player has been made.

aYo

• 7. Re: FMIS application must mirror the VOD Application.xml setup in order to stream.. WHY???
                      Will Law Level 1

I ran the attached swf. There is no ouput on the screen and my local FMS admin log does not show any connection attempt

When you examine your server via the admin app, and the connection is acknowleged, in the app section do you see that "clearwater" is active? If so, look in the "streams" section. Is there any entry there? Is there a stream reference marked "live"?

Cheers

Will

• 8. Re: FMIS application must mirror the VOD Application.xml setup in order to stream.. WHY???
                        Mr Binitie Level 1

Hi Will,

It works. I set up a new account and tried it again. At first try the connection did not work but, a recompile and relaunch sorted that out. It now streams with the useInstance set to true. Thats brilliant, thank you very much.

aYo

• 9. Re: FMIS application must mirror the VOD Application.xml setup in order to stream.. WHY???
                          Mr Binitie Level 1

Oh Will,

Its you -my FMS list brother - I should have picked that up.

How art thou? Thanks again