3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2009 11:36 AM by thebredward

Video Quality

thebredward

Hello,

I use a Sony Handycam DCR-SX41 and Premiere Elements 7 to edit my videos. The quality of video looks great when I import it onto the computer and save it on the hardrive. But as soon as I open the videos with Premiere, I noticed  that the quality is much worse. Why does my video lose so much quality when I edit with Premiere Elements 7?

Oh and by the way my computer runs Windows Vista

• 1. Re: Video Quality
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The SX41 is a hybrid camcorder, recording as MPEG2 to 8 gig of memory.

When you start a project for this camcorder in Premiere Elements, you must use the Hard Drive/Flash Drive project preset. (This is very important.) To get video from the camcorder, use Get Media for Hard Drive/Flash Drive Camcorder and download the footage to your computer using the Media Downloader.

You'll also notice that, when you add the video to your timeline, there will be a red line above it. This means that, because it is hybrid video, you will need to render it as you're working. To render your video press Enter and the red line will turn green.

When the line is green, the video will play at its final output quality.

• 2. Re: Video Quality
            Kodebuster Level 3

The other option is to convert your source video to DV-AVI prior to import into PE.

This will also eliminate the need to render your video within PE.

PE works best with DV-AVI and this will reduce many issues that are encountered with other formats.

My sacred rule-of-thumb is to convert, whenever, and where ever possible, prior to import (for hassle free editing with PE).

See this FAQ for convert options:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 3. Re: Video Quality
              thebredward Level 1

Thank you so much I've been working on this forever finally i have it figured out.