5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2009 10:41 PM by Kurt_777

Dang! Here we go again!

Kurt_777 Level 1

I had everything going great. Premiere saw my camera, I was able to upload video, g*d was in his heaven and all was right with the world, etc.

But last night I installed my Corel Draw Graphics Suite 12, which no doubt you all know something about. I also installed Corel Paint Shop Pro, Corel Painter, Corel Painter IX, and Corel Painter Essentials. Yeah, I'm a glutton for graphics gear.

Anyway, guess what, this morning Premiere won't see my camera any more. Gives me the same message that it's "offline".

I've done all the correct things, and it should work. But it doesn't.

Now, the obvious conclusion is that something in one of those Corel apps that I installed has thrown a spanner into the works. And I should uninstall each of them, one by one, to see which one is the culprit.

But I thought, before I do all that, I'd ask you guys about it. Have you ever had a problem with Corel and Premiere, similar to this? Is it something specific to Corel, and if so, what is it. And if it's about drivers or whatever, do you know a good way to track down the problem?

Over to you, guys.

Thanks,

Kurt.  

• 1. Re: Dang! Here we go again!
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It is possible Corel grabbed your capture app. But you should be able to fix it by doing a repair install -- just do an re-install of Premiere Elements without uninstalling it. You'll see the Repair option.

If that doesn't work, you may need to uninstall and reinstall Premiere Elements, worst case. But it's unlikely you'll have to choose either/or Adobe or Corel.

• 2. Re: Dang! Here we go again!
            Kurt_777 Level 1

Thanks, Steve. I'll give that a go and hopefully won't have to give up Corel.

Cheers,

Kurt

• 3. Re: Dang! Here we go again!
              Kurt_777 Level 1

I did the repair instal of Prem but it didn't fix the problem, Steve.

Then, more out of curiosity than anything else, I unplugged the firewire cable and replaced it with the older firewire cable that I used with the eMac. It has no noise suppression gizmos on it. It worked.

So now I have capture capability back. Hopefully the absence of the noise suppressors won't adversely affect the uploaded footage. We'll see.

Still going through the optimizing routine to see if it solves the memory issue.

Just on another point, Steve, I'm beginning to talk myself into a HD camera. Before I get one, I intend to beg, borrow, or steal (well, not steal), somebody's HD camera and see just what difference it makes to the final product. I recently made on my Mac a DVD of footage taken with my SD Canon, and when played on our HDTV LCD set, it looked terrible!! All the brighter detailed areas looked like they were comprised of short vertical striations. And other detail was almost, but not quite, pixilated. Scenes shot in semi shade were better, but still did not have good smooth detail. Too gritty and "video-y", if you know what I mean.

So I'm curious to see if the domestic HD miniDV format is really so much better and gives the near-perfect picture I read about. With that in mind, do you have any recommendations as to a good domestic HD camera? I want to stick with mini tape, not go to the hard disk type.

Thanks,

Kurt. 

• 4. Re: Dang! Here we go again!
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you say HD do you mean hard drive or high definition?

Before you run out and invest $700 in a hi-def camcorder, try investing a $50 in a DVD player with HDMI upconversion. This  system makes standard DVDs look almost as good on HDTVs as BluRay -- and at a fraction of the cost.

• 5. Re: Dang! Here we go again!
                  Kurt_777 Level 1

I mean High Definition, Steve.

That's the first I've heard of upscaling DVD players. I'll check it out.

Thanks,

Kurt