5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2009 10:04 AM by Jim_Simon

PPro CS4: Problem with program monitor widescreen video

Live Fantasy

Hi Guys

I shot my video in 16:9 aspect ration. I created a new project with "widescreen 48KHz DV-PAL" in PPro and I was ready to go.

I imported the video in avi format and all was OK. Now, I opened my first avi video file from the project panel in the source monitor: the video aspect ratio was still OK.

Now, I dragged the video from the source monitor to the sequence and the video aspect ratio was OK in the program (as far a I remember), i.e. the video in the source monitor was the same as in the program monitor. I then inserted a short mpg video in the project panel > source monitor > sequence. Then I realised the mpg aspect ratio was not the same as my avi video asoect ratio, so I decided to take out the mpg file from the whole project altogether.

Now I'm left with a problem: the video aspect ratio in the program monitor is stuffed up... Instead of having black bars only above and below the video as in the source monitor, I now have extra black bars on the left and right of the video!

If I already did some editing for an hour or so & realised this problem then, it would have been worse. I'm happy that I picked it up in the first 5 monutes of editing.

I have attached a screen print of this problem - please help me guys on how fix the video in the program monitor.

Many thanks in advance.

Walter

• 1. Re: PPro CS4: Problem with program monitor widescreen video
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Your attachment is still queued, so I can't have a look at it, but is it possible you changed the program or source monitor from fit to something else? Also, did you record in real 16x9 format or only in letterboxed 4x3?

• 2. Re: PPro CS4: Problem with program monitor widescreen video
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I shot my video in 16:9 aspect ratio

You actually didn't.  You shot in Letterboxed 4:3, so you should be editing in a Standard preset, not a Widescreen one.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: PPro CS4: Problem with program monitor widescreen video
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim is right, and as I assumed before the attachment got out of queue. There are very few (consumer) camera's capable of shooting real 16 x 9 format. Most of them shoot letterboxed 4 x 3 to simulate 16 x 9 (actually cropping the image). So you do need to make your sequence 4 x 3 DV and then you can also import your MPEG file with the same dimensions (720x576).

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: PPro CS4: Problem with program monitor widescreen video
                Live Fantasy Level 1

Thanks Harm & Jim

Hmmm... so this means that the camcoders (I shot using a camcoder) cannot shoot in REAL 16:9? Even if I change the aspect ratio on my camera to be 16:9, the actual shooting is in fact 4:3. This is interesting...

Just a matter of interest, what sort of video cameras can shoot in real 16:9?

OK, I created a new project in standard 4:3 DV-PAL preset and imported my old PPro project file and the video in the program monitor much, much better.

You know that's what I love about PPro: one can import a PPro project into another PPro project!

Also, that's what I love these Adobe forums - you guys are really helpful. I wish the Ruby on Rails forums were this good as well. Anyway, thanks to all you guys!

Walter

• 5. Re: PPro CS4: Problem with program monitor widescreen video
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  so this means that the camcoders cannot shoot in REAL 16:9? Even if I change the aspect ratio on my camera to be 16:9, the actual shooting is in fact 4:3.

In most cases, yes.

Just a matter of interest, what sort of video cameras can shoot in real 16:9?

I don't know all cameras, but it's usually the more expensive SD models or HD models that shoot in genuine 16x9.  The Panasonic DVX100B, for example, can shoot Full Frame 4:3, Letterboxed 4:3, or Anamorphic 16:9.  Same for the HVX200A and HPX170.