4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2009 9:41 AM by dhgraphix

Which IMac is best for Adobe Master Collection?

dhgraphix

I don't see a forum topic for the Adobe Master Collection, so sorry if I posted it here.

I just purchased the Master Collection. I would like to purchase an IMac that best supports this software without spending over $2,000.

I am not a technie, so I need help choosing a 24" model with correct graphics card-NVIDIA GT120,130 or ATI-HD4850??

I will be adding plug-ins and other software in addition to the Adobe software.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Which IMac is best for Adobe Master Collection?
          yenaphe Level 4

For Adobe Products, before the Graphic card, the most important piece of hardware is the CPU Raw Power and the ram.

I would recommand a dual or quad core (but if dual core have a higher Ghz, take the dual) filled with lots and lots of ram, 4Gb as a minimum for the dual, and 8Gb as a minimum for the quad core. If you are planning to use your computer for intensive graphic work, i would definitly recommand 8gb as a minimum regardless of the number of core.

You have to check the per core efficiency of the different solutions, but an efficient dual core is better than a less efficient quad core, even if it has 2 more cores.

Then for the Gfx card, I would recommand Nvida Cuda enabled card, because this set of instruction is supported by Premiere Pro to accelerate encoding.

Hope that help you in you choice.

• 2. Re: Which IMac is best for Adobe Master Collection?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I don't see a forum topic for the Adobe Master Collection

Creative Suites forum Anyway, not much activity there, so asking here is not at all wrong. Sébastien already has provided a comprehensive answer, but just to confirm - for any current Adobe product memory is more important than most other things. On an iMac, you should max out the possible 8GB (just be smart, buy your RAM cheaper from an external source, not from Apple). Processor considerations do not matter that much, as apparently they'll always be a dual core, so buy the one with the highest processor clock speed within your budget. Regarding the graphics, neither Adobe product is particularly demanding - they all use acceleration functions, but far from what you would need e.g. for games or 3D programs. Going with the cheapest model is probably okay. NVidia cards are more reliable with Adobe products, anyway. Also note, that while the name may not give it away, the 120 and 130 are two completely different beasts based on different chipsets, resulting in about 40% more performance on the 130.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Which IMac is best for Adobe Master Collection?
              dhgraphix Level 1

Wow, thanks for the quick and informative replies!  After reviewing both answers, I came up with this model.

If I buy this, can I add the extra 4 GB I need at a later time?

Intel Core 2 Duo processor- 3.06GHz

Memory-DDR3-4 GB

Hard Drive-SATA-1 TB

Graphics-Nvidia GT130

Does this sound right?

• 4. Re: Which IMac is best for Adobe Master Collection?
                yenaphe Level 4

Yes, you'll be able to buy 4gb of Ram separatly, and the specs sounds terrific for your Master Suite