6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2008 7:22 AM by

User Interface Design

Jak_P.
      Hi there,

I was charged with building a back office for a web site. The back office will have many tools, like profile setup, uploading images and reports, etc. I am not sure where to dig in. Has anyone seen any web software or company that has a great looking back office, I could log into and wrap my head around where I should start on this?

Thanks much,
      Jak P.
        • 1. Re: User Interface Design
          Level 7
          > I was charged with building a back office for a web site. The back office
          > will
          > have many tools, like profile setup, uploading images and reports, etc. I
          > am
          > not sure where to dig in. Has anyone seen any web software or company that
          > has
          > a great looking back office, I could log into and wrap my head around
          > where I
          > should start on this?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'back office'. I assume you mean some
          sort of web application that allows site administrators to maintain the
          site's content? That's usually the role of a Content Mangement System.

In terms of UI, it's really going to depend on if you are using an existing
          CMS or not. If not, then it's a matter of determining what the CMS that is
          being built needs to do and for whom.

-Darrel

• 2. Re: User Interface Design
            Jak_P. Level 1
            I am actually supposed to design the layout, look and feel, for the tech specs of the back office. So I have already built the site. The programmer got with the client and got the requirements for the web software. My programmer got me a wiref-rame of how its to work. So now I need to skin it, so to speak. But I have not done a lot of UI's, so I am a little timid on jumping in head first without seeing some great examples ...

I hope that helps explain what I am trying to discover ...

Thanks Darrel,
            Jak
            • 3. Re: User Interface Design
              Level 7

> I was charged

then do the time.

You've got a job with the backend server side stuff done by other folks, and
              you are to make a front end; a visual page?

• 4. Re: User Interface Design
                Level 7
                > So now I need to skin it, so to speak. But I
                > have not done a lot of UI's, so I am a little timid on jumping in head
                > first
                > without seeing some great examples ...

Well, if it's already been wireframed, I'd say there probably isn't a whole
                lot of UI design left as much as there is, as you state, just skinning it.
                Pick a color pallet, icon set, and consistent feedback styles (errors,
                titles, warnings, etc.)

The new WordPress back-end isn't bad. I've always liked Moveable Type's back
                end as well.

And I could give you a long list of a bunch of bad ones. ;o)

-Darrel

• 5. Re: User Interface Design
                  Jak Plague
                  Hey Darrel,

Thanks for being cool. I will check out those too sites. I don't want to clone anything, just get some layout ideas on what might work well for users ...

You rock!

~J
                  • 6. Re: User Interface Design
                    what a Content Mangement System do with that ?