4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2009 7:38 PM by pixlor

How to create an animated gif with CS4?

quality11 Level 1

Trying to create an animated gif from 8 images using FW CS4.  Can't find "how to" via online FW help.  Have done it before with version 8 -- followed the in-house Help db but CS4 doesn't have in-house db.  I found a tutorial: http://www.entheosweb.com/website_design/animated_gifs.asp, but talks about opening Frames panel (Windows > Frames) and  I can't even find the Frames panel in CS4!

Just trying to create simple animated gif as temporary portfolio.  Would also like to click on a different link for each image as it rotates if that's possible but main thing is just to create the gif.

Thanks so much in advance!

• 1. Re: How to create an animated gif with CS4?
          pixlor Level 4

I'm still using CS3, so I can't help you with finding the Frames panel. (Generally, the Windows menu item has the list of all the panels/palettes you can turn on and off. It should be there.)

I can address your second question, though. An animated gif is still a single image. You can attach a single link to it, but that's it. There's no internal HTML code inside the image, so you can't have a separate link for each frame. If you want an effect like that, you need some kind of slide show or you need to code something in Flash.

• 2. Re: How to create an animated gif with CS4?
            heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

For the first part of your question

File > Open, then at the bottom of the dialog Tick the open to Open As Animation.

Then browse/select multiple images, then Open.

This will automatically add each image to a State (Window > State, previously called Frames).

Then adjust the Frame Rate of each State. The default is 7th/100 (a sec). You should see the number 7 to the right of each State. Double click to adjust as desired. 100 = 1 second, 200 = 2 seconds and so on.

Once the animation is configured, go File > Save As > Animated Gif.

h

• 3. Re: How to create an animated gif with CS4?
              quality11 Level 1

Thank you both for the feedback.

Heathrowe, that worked!  Thanks so much.  So frames are now "State"?

Pixlor, thanks for clarifying about the links.  Is it just as easy to create slides as it is an animated gif?

Are you both open to giving me feedback about my temp site?  I can send a link (it's pretty rudimentary and boring).

• 4. Re: How to create an animated gif with CS4?
                pixlor Level 4

quality11 wrote:

Are you both open to giving me feedback about my temp site?  I can send a link (it's pretty rudimentary and boring).

Sure.   I'll look at your portfolio site. Also, you might check the Portfolio design section of  Design Meltdown and see some good portfolio sites. Check the sites themselves for how they're put together (View > Source or View > Page source, depending on your browser).

http://www.designmeltdown.com/