4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2006 12:35 PM by Newsgroup_User

How can I 'reverse crop' an image?

Fletcher James
      I'm a newbie to Fireworks. I want to do something which seems really elementary, and cannot figure out any straightforward way to do it.

I have a graphic image (.jpg) which is 306 pixels wide x 6 high. It consists of a colored background, some typography, and rounded corners. I need to adjust the width, without scaling the typography or corners. I would simply like to select a vertical slice of the image, 41x6, from the area where there's nothing but background, cut it out, and join the two remaining parts together, to create a 265x6 result.

However, I cannot find any feature in FW which will allow me to do this. Any kind of delete or cut simply seems to leave an empty (transparent?) gap, while leaving the overall width unaltered. I can select a rectangle and crop, leaving the contents and eliminating everything outside, but I don't seem to be able to do the reverse.

Am I the first person who ever wanted to do something like this? Or am I missing some simple feature, because I'm not understanding its name? Or do I need to use a series of steps, and assemble a completely new image out of pieces of the the original? (If the latter, please tell me which steps to use).
        • 1. Re: How can I 'reverse crop' an image?
          Level 7
          Fletcher James wrote:
          > I'm a newbie to Fireworks. I want to do something which seems really
          > elementary, and cannot figure out any straightforward way to do it.
          >
          > I have a graphic image (.jpg) which is 306 pixels wide x 6 high. It
          > consists of a colored background, some typography, and rounded
          > corners.

How did you get text and rounded corners on an image that's only 6
          pixels high? :-)

The way I would do it is to clone the image and paste it inside a
          rectangle that's half of the 265 pixel wide image I wanted, and then
          paste the original into a second rectangle that forms the other half of
          my image.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
          • 2. Re: How can I 'reverse crop' an image?
            Fletcher James Level 1
            You said:

How did you get text and rounded corners on an image that's only 6
            pixels high? :-)

This is for a company that makes microscopes. We've purchased a special font which is 1/2 px high.

No, seriously: I LIED. The box-bottom graphic is 6px high, and has just the rounded corners. The box-heading graphic with text is 29px high. I need to edit them both, in order to make the box narrower.

Thanks for the prompt response. I'm really a raw newbie on Fireworks, so I hope I can figure out how to create an image with two rectangles.
            • 3. Re: How can I 'reverse crop' an image?
              Fletcher James Level 1
              Sorry to be asking for more help -- I cannot figure out how to simply create two rectangles on a canvas, and paste selected bitmaps into them!

I realize that I should really dedicate a couple of weeks to learning an application like FW, before thinking that I can do anything with it, but I'm stuck here trying to adjust a web page, without access to the person who provided the .jpg of the design, so I've got to slice-and-dice what he gave me.
              • 4. Re: How can I 'reverse crop' an image?
                Level 7
                Fletcher James wrote:
                > Sorry to be asking for more help -- I cannot figure out how to simply create
                > two rectangles on a canvas, and paste selected bitmaps into them!

Click on the vector rectangle tool to select it, and then drag across
                the canvas. To paste an image inside a rectangle, place it on top of the
                rectangle, and then cut it to the clipboard (Edit > Cut). Once you've
                done that, click on the rectangle to select it and choose Edit > Paste
                inside.

To reposition the image inside the rectangle, click on the little chain
                icon between the two thumbnails of the mask group in the Layers panel,
                and then drag on the blue flower thingie that pops up in the middle of
                the image.

--
                Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                http://www.projectseven.com
                Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm