4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2009 1:09 AM by Mylenium

getting sharper image text export to jpg

djdn

HI Guys, this is my first post.

I have an ai file, that reresents my clients logo.

I need to export the file to a jpg, gif or any other web compatible format.

here is the address part of the jpg export:

blured-address.jpg

is there any way of getting it sharper, it seems too blurry, I need to add this as an email signature later.

has anyone got any ideas? It seems that anti-aliasing is giving a light blue.

I have attached the ai

• 1. Re: getting sharper image text export to jpg
          PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

Have you tired using the Save for Web function to see what the file will look like before you save as .png or other formats? The other thing is it's only just over an inch and a half wide. You might try enlarging the live type which will not change the source file quality, and reduce the size in the Save for Web dialog. You have to consider where this is being viewed, It's the web and 72dpi type at 1.5" is not going to look great if you zoom in on each letter.

• 2. Re: getting sharper image text export to jpg
            djdn Level 1

thanks,

I have increased my AI document size (artboard) to 78cm together with the textual (width 77cm), generated a jpg with image reduction (in web export dialogue) and got this.

address3.jpg

also i viewed this (4-up) before saving and this was the best result available, but still too fuzzy.

address4.jpg

the above in b&w still fuzzy but not as bad, do you think it is my fill colour selection?

thanks again.

• 3. Re: getting sharper image text export to jpg
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

djdn,

JPEG is not the right web (or similar) format for text or anything else that is meant to be sharp, especially when there is not a great multitude of colours.

The right format is PNG, or if you wish to please visitors with old (IE) browsers GIF.

The image should have Anti-Aliasing ticked (it is, or were in older version, hidden in the Image Size window), and you may tick Transparency to be able to just place it on a background colour/image (for GIF use the average background colour as Matte).

• 4. Re: getting sharper image text export to jpg
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The way antialiasing works, the blend colors do affect it, but that's beside the point. The font you are using is simply a bit skinny and AI is the wrong program. You'd get much better results by using Photoshop or Flash and picking a different antialiasing algorithm in those programs' text options, plus you may be able to accentuate contours with layer styles to prevent them from looking degenerated.

Mylenium