3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2009 11:14 PM by Kurt_777

HD TV TOO sharp?

Kurt_777 Level 1

I love my HD LCD TV, but when I show my home-made DVDs on it, it accentuates the inherent shortcomings of Mini dv. In particular, it makes large areas of small detail, like tree foliage for example, appear somehow striated. That is, the leaves look like they're comprised of tiny short vertical lines. It looks like the actual pixels of the television screen are lining up vertically to try to resolve the small tiny vertical shapes of the foliage.

I can get rid of this by adjusting my TV's picture settings. But I want to show my movies on other TV sets as well.

When I burn a DVD on my eMac, there are filter options that give a little bit of "last minute" post-processing to the footage. Premiere has an "antialias" effect that can be added before this, but it tends to add a little too much blur.

What I'm looking for is a burner that will apply a tiny bit of softening or blurring or whatever you want to call it to the footage when it encodes it for burning to disk.

Yes, I know, it's unusual to want to degrade video instead of enhancing it, but I think a discreet amount of softening improves a video image. I can get rid

Does anyone know of a burner that will do this?

Thanks,

Kurt.

• 1. Re: HD TV TOO sharp?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, a DVD is only going to have about 1/4 the resolution of a BluRay or hi-def video no matter what you do with it. What your DVD player or or HDTV does to create that extra resolution will have much more effect on what you see than anything your DVD authoring program does. (I'm not sure what your Mac is doing, but it still only creates a standard DV image that TV has to compensate for.)

The best solution is to use a DVD player that has an HDMI upconverter built into it. (They're surprisingly affordable.) HDMI upconverters create the illusion of higher definition from your DVDs, and many people are so happy with the results that they prefer them to added expense of a BluRay players and discs.

• 2. Re: HD TV TOO sharp?
            Kurt_777 Level 1

I'll check out those DVD players, Steve. At the moment I'm still using a model that's several years old.

I made a test DVD of a short piece of footage of trees to which I had applied the antialias filter in PE. On our HD TV it looked blurry, of course, but at least there were none of those "vertical strokes" artifacts in the foliage. If the antialias effect could have been pulled back a little, so that it was just a very light antialias effect, it would have looked just right.

I googled this and there are codecs that apply a light blur, but they're top-end pro stuff and cost the earth. 

Kurt

• 3. Re: HD TV TOO sharp?
              Kurt_777 Level 1

Ahaaa! Steve, I just discovered that Virtual Dub can apply various filters to files when saving them as .AVIs. One of the filters applies the lightest possible Gaussian blur. When those films are played with a standard DVD player, on a high-definition LCD TV, they look nice and soft, without those brittle gritty video artifacts.

Distant details are quite soft, of course, but then that kind of gives the shot the impression of having a shorter depth of field, sort of. Medium to closeup shots retain more than enough detail to be perfectly acceptable, while looking quite smooth. The HD screen compensates just enough to restore detail without increasing video grittiness.

If I contrived to get an even shorter depth of field, and maybe added a speck here and there, it would be that elusive "film look" that everybody talks about.

Good old Virtual Dub. Love that program.