33 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2009 9:13 AM by A.T. Romano

premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'

chris callier

I use Premiere 7. When making my video films I have on many places 'green squared structures' on the screen. They do not occure when previewing my clips directly from my camera on the tv-screen. But they are also presented on the burned dvd's!

See 2 screenshots.

thanks for advice

ChrisKnipsel1.JPGKnipsel2.JPG

• 1. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is your source footage exactly, if its avi please mention the codec.

• 3. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
            chris callier Level 1

I don't know what "source footage" means (I'm dutch speaking...). My video camera is a JVC Everio with PAL standard MPEG2-videofiles...

hope you can help me... Thanks

Chris Callier

• 4. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
              chris callier Level 1

Sorry, what are 'dropped frames'?

Chris Callier

• 5. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Foutje op de tape of tijdens de capture. Dan ben je 15 frames kwijt.

• 6. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                  chris callier Level 1

dank voor het Nederlands!

Het probleem komt op de hele film en andere films veelvuldig voor...

Wel interessant is te weten dat ik dat probleem (met clips van dezelfde camera) niet heb als ik MAGIX software gebruik...

Chris

• 7. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Magix is beter geschikt voor dit materiaal.

• 8. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

I totally agree that communication with the presenter and helping the presenter resolve the issue come first.

But, any chance for some translation into English here. At this point, I am guessing between the words.

Where the presenter cannot understand English, I cannot read or write the language that you two are communicating in.

I am very interested in the issue and am delaying any possible contributions to the topic until I gather more details of the situation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                        chris callier Level 1

I wrote in Dutche that I don't meet these problems with MAGIX, another

software for creation of videos...

Chris

• 10. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Thank you so much for answering.

I have so many questions about the video that you are using, your computer, and many other things that I will go into at another time soon.

But, something just struck me.

In the picture that you show for your problem, you appear to be working in the Premiere Elements 7 Sceneline View, not the Timeline View. If you look at the scenes in the Filmstrip in that area, the thumbnails appear to have a very sharp and clear quality picture, not pixelated and green. On the other hand, the view in the Monitor is pixelated and green.

Here is my question. If you right click on the Monitor, select Magnification from the drop down menu, what is the magnification on...Fit, 100%, ...800%?

I will be back with more questions once we rule the Monitor Magnification question out of the way.

ATR

• 11. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                            chris callier Level 1

thanks for your involvement...

The magnification is 100%.

Your are correct: these screenshots are from the sceneline view, but the

problems are the same in the timeline view...

First I thought that the deteriorations had something to do with the

transitions I chose between the clips, but further tests learned me that

this is not the case. Onother experience is that the deteriorations occur

alway on the same places, so I can cut them away and they do not appear

again...

I hope you <will found the solution... I paid a lot for this new software...

Thanks a lot

Chris Callier

• 12. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris Callier

My next set of questions has to do with the source and format of your Timeline. It would be helpful to know the brand, model, and shooting mode of your camcorder. I am looking to find out if you are working with:

a. HDV, AVCHD, AVCHD Lite, DV AVI, or some other type of AVI (such as MotionJPEG AVI, AVI MPEG4).

b. 480i, 720p, 1080i60 or 576p, 1080p50 or other

Also what is the project preset (new project dialog) that you set in the New Project dialog when you open Premiere Elements 4. Premiere Elements 7 is the only version to support AVCHD. But, I have heard from a fellow in Europe about his use of Premiere Elements 4 and AVCHD, using a Sony Vaio with a plugin that provides AVCHD support for Premiere Elements 4.  Are you using that type of Sony Vaio/Premiere Element 4 setup?

Also, what is your computer operating system and resources (available RAM and free hard drive space)? Is your computer operating system 32 or 64 bit? Do you defragment your computer regularly? Are your computer video and audio drivers all up to date?

I recall having a similar problem several years ago with Premiere Elements 2, and I am trying to remember the details...lower RAM or video format problem or video playback problem??

I will leave you with these thoughts for now and will return tomorrow to think about this some more.

ATR

• 13. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                                chris callier Level 1

I try to answer your questions...

My camera: JVC everio GZ-MG630AE

all technical information in attached 2 screenshots.

it's (sorry... I am not technical...) in my opinion a HDV with a 720x576

pixels

• 14. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris Callier

Thank you for the information. I think that I have found some good possibilities for you to look at.

First, your camcorder JVC GZ-MG630AE looks like a PAL camcorder with its own hard drive. It lets you record to the JVC hard drive for a memory card.

The video that you are recording is PAL Standard 4:3 or Widescreen 16:9, both have frame sizes of 720 x 576 and frame rates of 25 frames per second. The camcorder is recording MPEG2, and, from your screen shots, that video is arriving at the Premiere Elements Timeline or Sceneline with a .mod file extension.

Files with MOD file extension are known causes of problems in Premiere Elements, so you could try:

1. Before you bring the mod video into Premiere Elements, change the file extension from .mod to .mpg or .avi. You can do that by right clicking the file that you save to the computer hard drive, selecting Rename, and then changing just the file extension part of the file name.

2. If renaming does not work, then it may be time for conversion, from .mod to DV AVI. Almost always MPEG Streamclip (free download) is successful for doing that.

Another thing to look at is "Fields". Since your camcorder is recording to its own hard drive or a memory card, the Fields are no doubt Upper Field First. You want Lower Field First in your case. So, you have two choices:

a. When you are setting the Premiere Elements project preset (New Project dialog) make sure that it is either PAL/"Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorder" Standard or Widescreen depending on how you set the camcorder.

OR

b. If you decide to use the Premiere Elements project preset (New Project dialog) = PAL/DV/Standard or Widescreen, then when you get your video on the Premiere Elements Timeline, right click the video there, select Field Options, and then select "Reverse Field Dominance".

Please experiment with this factors and let me know the outcome. If none of the above helps, then we can go on to another approach.

Wishing you success,

ATR

• 15. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris Callier

Sorry, I forgot to post the link for MPEG Streamclip free download.

http://www.squared5.com/

If you need a step by step on how to use this software for the conversion, please let me know.

ATR

• 16. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris Callier

Although I will write you a step by step if you request one, here is a Steve Grisetti FAQ with "conversion to DV AVI" suggestions:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

ATR

• 17. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                                        chris callier Level 1

Thanks a lot for your assistance. I'll make the tests en come back to you

with the results probably tomorrow.

Do you think it's a problem that 'my' Windows system is only 32 bits? Would

64 bits be better? I asqk that because I have a lot of 'crashes' of

Premiere...

Chris

• 18. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris Callier

Premiere Elements is a 32 bit application which is not officially supported by 64 bit system. However, many many users have reported using Premiere Elements successfully in a 64 bit system. But, when you are running Premiere Elements in a 64 bit system, it runs as a 32 bit application in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit system. So, even if you had 8 GB RAM installed, you have a max utilization of 4 GB when running Premiere Elements.

What we can talk about is

a. how much installed and available RAM your computer has

b. what is the total capacity of your C: drive and how much of that space is free

c. do you defragment your computer regularly

d. are the computer video and audio drivers up to date as well as Service Pack

e. are you using an external hard drive for Premiere Elements scratch files and project .prel and how much total and free space do you have on that external hard drive

d. last but not least, what are the details of your operating system, processor, clock speed, etc.

To be continued, looking forward to your results

ATR

• 19. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                                            chris callier Level 1

Strange... I did a test: I renamed a video into a mpg-file... and imported

it in Premiere... There it got automatically a MOD extension! See

screenshot...

Chris

• 20. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                                              chris callier Level 1

sorry... in order to give you complete information: the video's are

MPEG-files, I think, when they are uploaded from my camera to my

HPcomputer... See screenshot of my video-files as they arrive in my

computer.

• 21. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris Callier

You should be copying/transferring your video to the computer hard drive. There you should be renaming the file extension from .mod to .mpg. Then you should be opening Premiere Elements, Get Media/Files & Folders and browsing to the location where you have the ".mpg" saved to the computer hard drive. When you bring that .mpg file into the Premiere Elements Timeline is should show the file extension of .mpg, not .mod.

If you have renamed the file extension and are bringing that file into Premiere Elements, there is no way that the file should be showing as ".mod" in Premere Element view that you show.

Could please check this point?

Also, is there any software that comes bundled with your camera that helps you put your video on your computer hard drive with the file extension of .mpg instead of .mod?

ATR

• 22. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                                                  chris callier Level 1

Yes: when I make a backup of my camera's HD on my computers HD, it's done by

everio mediabrowser. Thisq has been delivered together with my JVC-ca-

mera

Chris

• 23. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                                                    chris callier Level 1

That's exactly what I was doing (I think...): on my computers hard disk I

have the video files as shown in clip1. Tere are nog visible extensions...

Then I rename it by adding the extension ".mpg". When imported in Premiere

it became ".mpg.MOD" extention... See clip 2.

Chris

• 24. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris Callier

When you rename the file, are you adding or replacing??

For example, if you have MOV1115.mod, are you renaming it

MOV1115.mpg (removing the .mod and replacing .mod with .mpg)

or

MOV1115.mov.mpg (not removing .mov and adding .mpg to the existing name?)

You should have MOV1115.mpg on the Premiere Elements Timeline/Sceneline.

Can you recheck your steps using the software that came with your camcorder and that you are using for the transfer of video from camcorder to computer hard drive? And, is it possible to copy the video directly (no camcorder software) to your computer hard drive, followed by renaming the file, example MOV1115.mpg?

This troubleshooting could or could not be the answer. But, we need to get passed this before we go on to other areas to look at.

ATR

• 25. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris Callier

Add on...

I just took another look at your two screen shots. On the first I see "MOV116.MOD" and on the second I see "MOV115.MOD" which forces me to think that you have not made the change to MOV116.mpg and MOV115.mpg before you brought those videos into Premiere Elements. If you made the change, you would see that in your Premiere Elements screen shots.

So, maybe take another look to see what could be happening as suggested in my previous post.

I will be watching for your progress. Do not be discouraged.

ATR

• 26. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                                                          chris callier Level 1

Hello,

I did the exercise again, so I am sure that I understand you good...

In clip1 you see the file as it arrives on my HP hard disk after having

downloaded it from my JVC camera.There is no extension.

In clip2 I have added the extension .mpg

In clip3 I imported it in Premiere Elements... where it got the MOD

extension... (so it became ....mpg.MOD)

Chris

• 27. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                                                            chris callier Level 1

As advised in the paper of Steve Grisetti I applied Windows MovieMaker to

transform the original clips into DV-AVI files. This transformation was

succesful. I imported the new file into Premiere Elements... and now the

video shows permanently 'horizontally vibrating' lines...

What should I do?

Chris

• 28. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris Callier

I do not understand why you are ending up with files named MOV116.mod.mpg in Premiere Elements in your process of renaming the file to MOV116.mpg beforehand.

Let us put that aside for a moment and look to the DV AVI conversion. I think that you will get your best results using the MPEG Streamclip for the conversion as described in that same Steve Grisetti FAQ where you found the Windows Movie Maker suggestion. Also check out the bottom of the following thread here

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/485471?tstart=0

and my further details on settings for MPEG Streamclip, especially the part about checking “Deinterlace”.

I did not realize that Windows Movie Maker supported files with the .mod file extension. But, from my experience, MPEG Streamclip gives the best results for those .mod files.

As for your results with Windows Movie Maker which gives Microsoft DV AVI type 1 (Premiere Elements uses Microsoft DV AVI type 2). Almost always there is no problem because of this. But if there is one, you could change the Microsoft DV AVI type 1 to Microsoft DV AVI type 2 using the free program DVDate

http://paul.glagla.free.fr/dvdate_en.htm

But, what happens to the horizontal lines of the “DV AVI” from Windows Movie Maker if you right click the video on the Timeline, select Field Options, and then select “Always Deinterlace” or one of the other options there?

Let us review the steps that you used in obtaining your DV AVI from Windows Movie Maker:

1. File Menu/Import into Collections/browse to your .mod file/select/click Import (verify that you brought in a file with a file extension of .mod here, not something else)

2. Tools Menu/Options/Advanced Tab/select PAL 4:3

3. Drag the imported file to Timeline

4. File Menu/Save Movie File/My computer/Next//Save Location & Name/Next

5. Movie Settings. There you should have a dot next to Other Settings and show DV-AVI (PAL)

That should proceed to put your DV AVI on your hard drive save location that you designed.

6. You would bring that DV AVI into Premiere Elements with its Get Media/Files & Folders.

I will be watching for your progress.

ATR

• 29. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                                                                chris callier Level 1

Thanks a lot for your help continous help... and please continue because the

problem is not yet solved.

1. I applied the steps with Windows MovieMaker exactly as you described. And

after having imported the AVI-file I tried in the timeline of Premier

Elements all the options, not only “Always Deinterlace”. The result is a bad

quality film... I cut a short part of it and send it here in attachment to

show (COURTILtest.prel). I hope you can do something with it.

2. I wil do now a test with MPEG Streamclip if I manage to unzip the

downoaded file...

Chris

• 30. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

It appears that the file did not attach. Also, remember that the .PREL file is only an XML database file, and can only be opened in PrE (or PrPro), but contains no media. Without the media files, one will only get "Media Offline," for all Assets.

This ARTICLE will give you some background on .PREL files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 31. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                                                                    chris callier Level 1

IT'S SOLVED!

I applied MPEG Streamclip as described by Steve Grisetti and the result in

Premiere is very good now! It' a time consuming operation but I have no

other choice...

Important to know: when I apply "Reverse Field Dominance" there is bibration

again. So I leave "none".

Thanks a  lot for your great support.

Chris Callier

• 32. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                                                                      chris callier Level 1

Another problem now...

In order to install MPEG Streamclip I had to desinstaal Quicktime and to

install QuickTime Alternative 1.81 ... but now I can't play my Itunes

music... Version 7.5.5 or higher is required...

What do you asdvise?

Chris

• 33. Re: premiere 7: a lot of clips contain green squared 'structures'
                                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris Callier

That was GREAT, GREAT news. That MPEG Streamclip is a great software (free also), especially for the JVC people with those .mod files. But it has far reaching usefulness.

Now for the after effects, namely, iTunes and Quicktime. Here are some ideas:

a. just have installed MPEG Streamclip + Quicktime 7.2.6 (latest version) + Apple MPEG2 Playback Component purchased from Apple (about $20 USA dollars)

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/

another less preferred idea

b. if you have another computer, maybe a laptop, move the MPEG Streamclip + Quicktime Alternative to the other computer and do your conversions there or move the iTunes and Quicktime to another computer.

If you are going to continue using the JVC camcorder and its .mod, I think that "a" would be the best investment and choice.

I am so happy for your success. Keep up the good work.

ATR