10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2009 8:02 AM by the_wine_snob

Audio track is visible but not audible.

Rick in Wyo

My Configuration

HP xw8400 Workstation – Intel Xeon 5160 Processor @ 3.0 GHz, 6 GB RAM, 3 x 750 MB Hard drives

Windows Vista Business (SP2, 64bit)                       nVidia Quadro FX 3500 Video Card

Matrox RT.x2 capture card                                           Adobe Premiere Pro CS4

Adobe Web Premium CS4                                            MS Office 2007

Adobe Premiere Pro CS4

My Problem

I have a 60 minute mini-DV cassette that was shot using a Panasonic AG-DVC7 video camera.  I am using two wireless mics.  Using 12 bit audio, the first mic is recorded to the first audio track and the second mic to the second (dub) audio track.

Next I use a JVC SR-DVM700 to play back the tape for capturing.    I use Adobe Premiere to capture the DV video stream directly from the 1394 port.  I can hear both tracks of audio via the PC’s realtek sound card connected speakers as it is being captured.

When I drag the resultant captured video to the timeline it shows two audio tracks, however there is no audio waveform on the audio tracks.  Allowing it to render the timeline makes no difference.  There is no sound when I select play.

I can pull up prior projects (CS3 captured form DV and CS4 captured via matrox component DVD) and the sound plays fine.  The speakers are on and properly connected.   The sound card is configured and enabled.  Windows audio is not muted.

I can exit premiere and choose to play the captured video using Windows Media Player and everything plays fine including both audio tracks.

I have played with all the audio device settings in Premiere Pro to no avail.

I didn’t have any problems with this when I was using CS3 on Windows XP, but now that I have upgraded to Vista and CS4 I have continuous issues.

I attempted to work around the issue by dubbing the DV tape to DVD first instructing the deck to mix the audio down to a single stereo track.  I then captured the clip from the DVD player via the component input of the matrox rt.x2 card using Premiere Pro’s capture facility.  To end the capture you are supposed to press the ESC key.   There is no response to pressing the ESC key.  Clicking on the onscreen stop button terminates the capture but also immediately crashes PP.  The video capture exists so I open PP (after a reboot) and I attempt to import the video file.   Importing causes PP to instantly crash.

I have re-installed PP multiple times without resolution.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Audio track is visible but not audible.
          Jim_Simon Level 8

First, a clarification.

DV has a total of 4 channels in 12 bit mode, the first stereo pair (tracks 1&2) and the second stereo pair (tracks 3&4).  Premiere can only capture tracks 1&2.  It cannot capture tracks 3&4.  For two microphones, this should not be an issue as mics are typically mono, and using two would send one to the left channel of the first stereo pair (track 1), and one to the right channel of the first stereo pair (track 2), thus never using the second stereo pair (tracks 3&4).

When you bring a Premiere captured clip into the sequence, it shows up with a total of two tracks - one video, and one audio.  Unlike many NLEs, Premiere treats a stereo pair as a single track.

So the statements that cause confusion are that you're using the second stereo pair on the camera (tracks 3&4), which Premiere cannot capture, and that bringing the clip down to the sequence generates two audio tracks, which it would not do for a normally captured DV clip.

• 2. Re: Audio track is visible but not audible.
            Rick in Wyo Level 1

I am new to shooting video so bear with me.

I have an Azden 320 system.  This consists of two body pack transmitters each with its own lapel microphone.  There is a 320UPR dual channel receiver that mounts on the camera.  The receiver has two outputs, one for headphones, one for microphone input of the camera.

It came with a short cable to connect the microphone output to the camera's microphone input.  The only time the scant user's manual mentions anything relating to tracks is under the description for the headphone jack where is says "Plug a stereo headphone into this jack to monitor sound.  Ch. 1 will be heard on the left, Ch. 2 on the right."

I thought this meant that it would record the same way on the tape.  But when I plug my headphones into the camera's monitor jack I would only hear one channel, thus I made the assumption that the second channel was  actually the dub track.  I set the camera for 12 bit audio to record the dub channel as well.

In retrospect and based on your comment I believe it may actually have been recording on the left and right channels of the first audio track and perhaps the jack on the camera has an issue preventing me from hearing the other track.  I should have an opportunity to test this tomorrow.

This helps me understand what may be going on with my camera but it does not change my PP problem.  When I capture directly from the deck using on screen device controls the capture appears to complete normally.  I can see the preview video and hear the preview audio.  I can take the resultant clip, place it on the source monitor and there is no audible sound.  Drag the same clip and drag it to the timeline, PP will show to active stereo audio tracks but the wave form displayed is flat.  Playing that same captured clip externally from PP using Windows Media Player or the Adobe AIR player you hear all the audio.   I know the audio data is there.  It is a direct from device capture by PP.  That should eliminate any codec issues.

I am contemplating re-installing CS3 in order to get this project done as I never had any of these issues there but I remember reading that it was not good to run CS3 on Vista 64bit.

Rick Eckhardt

Multimedia Manager

Taco John's International, Inc.

Nothing in this communication is intended to constitute an electronic signature, unless a specific statement to the contrary or a valid VeriSign Digital Signature Certificate is included in this communication.

This email and any attached files contain information intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or protected from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any viewing, copying, disclosure or distribution of this information may be subject to legal and restriction or sanction. Please notify the sender by email or telephone (307-635-0101) of any unintended recipients and delete the original message without making any copies.

• 3. Re: Audio track is visible but not audible.
              Jim_Simon Level 8

OK.

Next question.  Are you waiting for the .pek file to be generated before you start working?  Premiere will show no waveform nor play sound until that process is done for the clip.

• 4. Re: Audio track is visible but not audible.
                Rick in Wyo Level 1

Initially, probably not.  But last couple attempts I have dragged it to the timeline and pressed the enter key to have it render the entire clip.  I assume that the .pek file is generated at the same time.  I've left it for well over an hour and on my return I have a green line for the entire clip but no audio.

I've just done a quick search and do not see any .pek files.  I did a quick search for *.pek files and found nothing.  I would think that there would be files from previous projects.  Do you know where they would normally be written?  Are they embedded in another file type?

I forget to watch that lower right corner when I open projects of this size.  I'll open the project and leave it over the lunch hour and check when I get back.

Thank you,

Rick Eckhardt

Multimedia Manager

Nothing in this communication is intended to constitute an electronic signature, unless a specific statement to the contrary or a valid VeriSign Digital Signature Certificate is included in this communication.

This email and any attached files contain information intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or protected from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any viewing, copying, disclosure or distribution of this information may be subject to legal and restriction or sanction. Please notify the sender by email or telephone (307-635-0101) of any unintended recipients and delete the original message without making any copies.

• 5. Re: Audio track is visible but not audible.
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

OK.

Next, create a new sequence, and try dropping the clips into that.  If still no sound, try creating a whole new project and importing clips into that.  If still no sound, try recapturing the clips using the camera instead of the deck.

• 6. Re: Audio track is visible but not audible.
                    Rick in Wyo Level 1

Jim,

I believe I have done all of the above, including capturing a short clip directly from the camera.

I have also captured the entire video from the JVC deck to my personal laptop using Adobe Premiere Elements 4.  Everything is working perfectly there.  Though a little constraining I am going have to finish my project on Element as it is already late.

I did take the video captured on the laptop and copied it to my production workstation, after a fresh reboot, I opened PP, created a new project, imported the newly captured video and I still have the same problem.  I see another re-install in my future.

For now I must suspend troubleshooting so that I can get the project completed in PRE.

I'll return to troubleshooting in a couple of days.

Thanks you for your assistance.

Rick Eckhardt

Multimedia Manager

• 7. Re: Audio track is visible but not audible.
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Rick,

Given your situation, I'd use PrE4 for the Capture, and immediately Export as DV-AVI Type II for Import into PrPro for editing. While not the ideal workflow, it allows one to use the more robust NLE for the actual editing.

When you do get back to the troubleshooting, do take a look at your Matrox card. Some have encountered issues with those and Audio from Capture. Do not know if that plays into your problem, but something to consider.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Audio track is visible but not audible.
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        take a look at your Matrox card.

Somehow I completely missed that, even though it was right there in the original post as it should be.

Lose that, man.  Just rip it out and wipe your hard drive.  Reinstall everything from the OS on up.  These type of problems should go away.

• 9. Re: Audio track is visible but not audible.
                          Rick in Wyo Level 1

I have uninstall the Matrox MxTools for now.  That seems to have cured the major problems.  I have scoured Matrox and have found that they just recently released a update for PP CS4.1.   I will try that after my current projects are complete.

Thank you again for you assistance.

Rick Eckhardt

Multimedia Manager

• 10. Re: Audio track is visible but not audible.
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Rick,

Good luck with that. It seems that some things in CS4.1 and the previous Matrox Tools did not work well together. Matrox got to work on the issue and for a bit, there was a beta that worked for most people. I've gotten conflicting reports on whether the full version is out yet, or if it's still in beta. However, whatever Matrox had seemed to work for most.

Let us know how it goes,

Hunt