15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2009 2:09 PM by Rueberm

MediaCore Importer Process Debug Event

Rueberm Level 1

I have a Xp 64bit computer running CS4.  I keep on getting MediaCore Importer Process Debug Event Errors on differnt projects.  The error details are sometimes different but usually they say.  Src/importer/ImporterInstance.cpp.-641

I have scanned for viruses

I have repaired windows

I have repaired premier

I have deleted and reinstalled premier

I have updated the drivers on my video card

I have looked around here and haven't found much for help.  It might be a specific file given me problems but I have not tracked it down yet.  It might be a codec problem.  I am running out of ideas

• 2. Re: MediaCore Importer Process Debug Event
          Rueberm Level 1

Harm,

If you don't know... You don't have to post anything.  If you have an idea suggestion or have a specific question to help give me an answer then you can post something.  I have tried the standard wiki fixes.  Did not work.  Sorry I didn't post that earlier

Today I was out of the office and one of my employees tells me now that Premier wont open at all.  When I was installing Premier (4.0) I opened up one of the problematic timelines it worked fine when I installed the update it started giving problems.  I don't know if I didn't run it long enough for it to work or if the problem is just with the update.  I will try rolling it back tomorrow and I will post my results.

• 3. Re: MediaCore Importer Process Debug Event
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Nobody can answer due to the severe lack of required details.

I gave you the link to a lot of questions, which you didn't answer.

So, first of a long list of questions: From what video camera is the source?

• 4. Re: MediaCore Importer Process Debug Event
              Rueberm Level 1

My computer was working fine until 2-3 weeks ago.  No changes except for maybe a CS4 update.  Scanned for viruses nothing but a few cookies.

Supermicro board

dual 2.6 ghz intel quad xeons

8 gigs of Wintec Ram

Nvidia Quadro (dual monitor)

Alesis audio card

Adaptec raid controller

Seagate hard drives (about 2 tb raid 10)

Pannasonic DVCpro Deck (firewire)

Windows XP 64 (just repaired - trying to fix problems)

It is connected to a Cisco Switch for file sharing.

Updated CS4 PP

Most video footage is from gyhd100u but we get footage and video from many sources

I am looking for a post from someone who has had this problem, fixed this problem, or has some insight to what a MediaCore Importer Process Debug Event means.

I have been using Adobe Products for over 10 years and I am very computer savy.  Even if you are looking to fix the same problem send me some info and maybe I can narrow it down and fix it for both of us.

Right now I think it might be my video card.  When I repaired windows I upgraded the drivers on it now I have even more problems.  I am rolling them back right now. If that doesn't work I will rollback premier

• 5. Re: MediaCore Importer Process Debug Event
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Next question: What codecs are in use?

Remark: Disk setup is disastrous for editing, if that is all.

• 6. Re: MediaCore Importer Process Debug Event
                  Rueberm Level 1

Top of the list: (none of these gave me problems 3 weeks ago)

Mostly Microsoft DV avi

All sorts of mov (mostly animation)

avi uncompressed
                  mpeg2

m2t

h.264

I rolled back my drivers on my video card... fixed some problems but not all.  Error hasn't come up yet when using just one monitor.

What do you mean "Disk setup is disastrous for editing"  ... are you talking about the Raid 10?

• 7. Re: MediaCore Importer Process Debug Event
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

If you only have the raid10 and no separate bootdisk, Windows will see it as one disk. That means everything has to be read from and written to a single volume. That is for OS, pagefile, project, scratch, media and program, plus some housekeeping. You will get better performance from breaking them out to individual disks. The fill rate on individual disks will be lower, resulting in better performance, the CPU overhead will be lower if not using a raid10, and, if properly set up, 4 individual disks will give you somewhere around 75 - 100 MB/s read performance each at the same time, 4 disks in raid10 will give you around 150-170 MB/s.

Which driver version do you use for the Quadro?

• 8. Re: MediaCore Importer Process Debug Event
                      Rueberm Level 1

Driver version 186.30 (not the newest) but I have ben messing around with this I have upgraded and downgraded with mixed results.

Sometimes on capture (I do this mostly through my Panasonic deck) We get the clip captured but it will crash before it loads it to the project... If we open the project up again we can import the file and it works fine. 

I have a separate boot disk and render drive (raid 0 for the render).  I have also read that CS locks to a hard drive not to a video card or processor.  So if you have it installed on a raid you might get an error that says that Adobe is installed on another computer.  In my case I have 4 hard drives working together so it might lock to anyone of them.  I have not experienced this myself but have read other blogs with this information.  For anyone else out there I would defiantly keep all of your footage on a Raid 5, 6, 10, or 50.   I have lost drives in the past.  With a raid 10 you can just replace the drive and rebuild it... You don't even have to wait for it to be rebuilt (as you would in a 5 or 6) you can continue to edit.  I will never own an editing computer that doesn't have a raided media drive.  It is too risky.

• 9. Re: MediaCore Importer Process Debug Event
                        Rueberm Level 1

I am going to try to reinstall quicktime in the morning.  I have read that other people with *.*cpp errors doing that to fix the problem.  If it is a codec error I wonder if I try to some how delete installed codecs?  I wonder if it isn't a bad codec that I am not using.

• 10. Re: MediaCore Importer Process Debug Event
                          Rueberm Level 1

I have been out of the office so I haven't been able to do much for testing but so far so good.  I uninstalled and reinstalled Quicktime.  I had 1 extra codec installed (needed it to read footage exported from Sony Vegas by a client).  So I uninstalled that as well.  

• 11. Re: MediaCore Importer Process Debug Event
                            Rueberm Level 1

It has worked all day without a crash.  I think it is because of QuickTime.

• 12. Re: MediaCore Importer Process Debug Event
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Let us hope that this is a problem with either QT, or that one CODEC. If things start acting up again, you might find something in this ARTICLE useful for finding clues as to what is causing your problems. Note: this takes some work and some reading, plus sorting through reams of "garbage." Still, much can often be determined by using Event Viewer.

Good luck, and we'll all X our fingers for you,

Hunt

• 13. Re: MediaCore Importer Process Debug Event
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                What do you mean "Disk setup is disastrous for editing"  ... are you talking about the Raid 10?

This ARTICLE by Harm will give you some great tips for setting up your I/O sub-system. It might not address any aspect of this problem, but WILL improve your editing experience now and later.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: MediaCore Importer Process Debug Event
                                  Rueberm Level 1

Thanks for the tips.  I often use the event viewer to solve problems it is a helpful tool... Microsoft does a decent job explaining what errors mean.  The problem is usually changing the registry to fix those items.  Definitely not for a beginner.

I also agree with Harms post on setup disks.  (I have to admit I don't think I have ever heard or seen a raid 3)

• 15. Re: MediaCore Importer Process Debug Event
                                    Rueberm Level 1

Oh... and that error hasn't poped up yet.