5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2009 7:33 PM by the_wine_snob

How do I export a movie file as codec Xvid?

sayow

I'm working with Premiere Elements 4.0 and I need to export the file as an Xvid for proper playback.  I don't see it as an option when viewing the Video specs.  Any suggestions?  Anything out there I can download to make Xvid an option?

• 1. Re: How do I export a movie file as codec Xvid?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Click to select your timeline and go to File/Export/Movie.

Before saving the file, click on the Settings button.

In your General settings, set your File Type to Microsoft AVI.

Then, in your Video settings, set the compressor to Xvid.

You may also want to go to the Keyframe and Rendering settings and check Always Deinterlace.

Lots of great tips like this in my regular Steve's Tips on the products page at

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/

• 2. Re: How do I export a movie file as codec Xvid?
            sayow Level 1

Thanks so much for the suggestions Steve.  Unfortunately Xvid is not a compressor option in my program and I'm not sure if there's a way to make it an option.  When saving as Microsoft AVI once I got into Video and select the Compressor drop down menu my options are:

Cinepak Codec by  Radius

ffdshowVideo Codec

Indeo vide 5.10

Intel Indeo Video R3.2

Intel Indeo Video 4.5

Intel IYUV codec

Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V1

Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Coded V2

Microsoft RLE

Microsoft Video 1

Uncompressed UYVY 422 8bit

None

I went into the Keyframe & Rendering settings to check Always Deinterlace in hopes that would somehow change my above options, but they're still the same.  Not sure if it's just because I'm running 4.0 instead of 7.0?

• 3. Re: How do I export a movie file as codec Xvid?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Sorry. I guess version 4 didn't include that option.

Try Prism video converter. It converts to and from almost every format. And it's free.

http://www.nchsoftware.com/

• 4. Re: How do I export a movie file as codec Xvid?
                NerdWithNoLife

There is a way. Get DebugMode's Frameserver. Exit Premiere Elements. Run the install program, making sure you check the box for Premiere support. It will give you a prm file. Make sure that file gets in the following directory:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0\Plug-ins\en_US

Now follow the above instructions, but select DebugMode FrameServer as your codec. When you render out, it will create a dummy AVI file that you can pop into VirtualDub and encode to any codec you like!

• 5. Re: How do I export a movie file as codec Xvid?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Xvid is the open source version of the DivX CODEC. You need to have one, or both, installed on your system to use them.

Now, I find that the DivX encoder (shareware) is the best encoder. I always Export/Share to DV-AVI and then use the DivX encoder to do the final encoding. If you have either the Xvid, or the DivX CODEC installed, you should have that as a choice from PrE. Without one, or the other, you will not have the capability to encode in either.

Good luck,

Hunt