1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 31, 2009 9:18 AM by Was DYP

CS4 Printing darkness

jbphotographics

I manage color and service bureau printing at the college I work for, and we've been fighting the upgrade to CS4 for some time. Here's what we have so far.

Apple dual G5 machine with 10.5.8

Adobe PS CS3

Adobe PS CS4

3 x Epson 4800 Pro printers using an IP connection and using Driver version #6.11

We manage color with custom created profiles in eyeOne with eyeOne pro hardware.

When moving to CS4 for printing prints have gond dark and the color has taken an odd shift.

When printing with CS3, we get consistent color and density

All things being equal in the print settings for each version of PS.

I have heard that CS4 addresses the printing system differently (using an updated printing api from Apple) is this true?

When running prints from within another app (any app really) that prints directly through the OS, we get similar results as CS4.

The best explaination that we've been able to get is that the (epson) print driver is operating on the older api calls, and that when the OS (or CS4) is operating on the newer calls, the color and density issues arise.

Can anyone verify this?

• 1. Re: CS4 Printing darkness
          Was DYP Level 3

I have heard that CS4 addresses the printing system differently (using an updated printing api from Apple) is this true?

When running prints from within another app (any app really) that prints directly through the OS, we get similar results as CS4.

The best explaination that we've been able to get is that the (epson) print driver is operating on the older api calls, and that when the OS (or CS4) is operating on the newer calls, the color and density issues arise.

Can anyone verify this?

You have the basic understanding down.

The best thing to do is do some searching. This problem has been throughly discussed with a number of workarounds and fixes which have worked for many people.

It fact on your right you will find a box that reads "More Like This". This would be a good place to start.