18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2009 2:57 PM by A.T. Romano

Video Glitches While Trying To Edit

snugdiddy

I really need some help. I am a little frustrated. I have just purchased a JVC Everio HDD camcorder. I do video editing for a theatre in the area. I tried uploading the video directly from the camcorder a few times into Premiere Elements 4. I tried saving the media in a file and uploading it through the files. I also tried uploading it onto the media software that came with the camcorder. Every time I have tried (which is multiple times) I sometimes get the media at the right that has an error so I try again. Or when I put it into the time line and start to edit it, it has green screen glitches. But when I watch it on the software with the camcorder it plays perfectly fine at the one spot. The same goes with when I play it in Windows Movie Maker. I like using Premiere cause I can add a Menu screen and edit the video better. I don't want to have to covert everything through Movie Maker first. Does anyone know why or how to fix the glitches? It seems to be on every clip I have. The video also plays fine on my friends computer. I have tried to close Premiere and reopen it. I have tried a new project. I plan on doing more video editing with this camera in the future so I don't want every project to be like this. Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I did notice the other post but some of it was in Dutch. But that is the same problem and I believe the same camcorder I am using. I havent even gotten to the point of transitions cause I notice the green right away. My magnification is Fit. Also the videos are .mod My Premiere is 4.0 though. I did save one clip from Window Movie Maker and it saved it as a .wmv and seems to be working fine. I really would hate to have to do all of my editing in Movie Maker though...

Thanks

• 1. Re: Video Glitches While Trying To Edit
          A.T. Romano Level 7

What is the file extension of the video saved to your computer hard drive from the JVC camcorder.....mod??

Often the final answer is converting the .mod to DV AVI with a free program such as MPEG Streamclip and then bringing the DV AVI version into Premiere Elements with Get Media/Files & Folders.

http://www.squared5.com/

There is one non re-encoding technique that may work. You would right click the file on your computer hard drive, select Rename, and change just the file extension in the file name from .mod to .mpg or .avi. And, then bring that .mpg or .avi into Premiere Elements with Get Media/Files & Folders.

It would be very helpful to know the video format of the JVC as well as your shooting mode.

What project preset have you set in the New Project dialog of your Premiere Elements 4?

ATR

• 2. Re: Video Glitches While Trying To Edit
            snugdiddy Level 1

It is mod

I am not sure on the shooting mode.

The presets are NTSC, DV Standard 48kHz

• 3. Re: Video Glitches While Trying To Edit
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Those .mod files are general bad news when it comes to Premiere Elements.

I know from your original post that you would prefer to avoid converting your video format to another more suitable for Premiere Elements whose native Timeline format is DV AVI.

So, how about this:

1. as a mini project, change the file name from .mod to .mpg and see if you have better luck getting the video into Premiere Elements and editing it there.

2. if that does not succeed, then try the MPEG Streamclip conversion (.mod to DV AVI) and see if that spells success (which it usually does).

3. then decide what path you will follow for the grand project after these mini tests (experiments) are done.

There is a FAQ here on MPEG Streamclip and conversion to DV AVI. If you cannot find it, I will post it tomorrow morning for you. I have used the program and have found it quick, easy, and effective. If necessary, I can give you a step by step that I have used many times with success.

ATR

• 4. Re: Video Glitches While Trying To Edit
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Just a few quick questions/requests

a. could you post the model of your JVC camcorder so I can get a better idea of what is being recorded to the camcorder's hard drive. Right now I am thinking that it is HDV, maybe 720p or 1080i??

b. but instead, based on the Premiere Elements project preset (New Project dialog) = NTSC Standard, can I assume that you are shooting SD to the camcorder's hard drive?

c. how do you intend to export your Timeline...Share/Disc/Disc, burning your Timeline to DVD-VIDEO format (standard or widescreen) on a DVD disc?

ATR

• 5. Re: Video Glitches While Trying To Edit
                  snugdiddy Level 1

here is my camcorder (only had it a month seriously thinking about taking it back before next project and getting something that will work easier)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10965654

Also how do I rename and change the extension in Vista?

I will be burning onto a dvd.

I am recording in HDD Ultra Fine quality

• 6. Re: Video Glitches While Trying To Edit
                    snugdiddy Level 1

And when I changed the extension it fixed the video but then took my audio away. I changed it to an avi and mpg and it took the sound away both times

• 7. Re: Video Glitches While Trying To Edit
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Changing the extension on a file does not change the format of the file itself. It merely comfuses the program. In most cases, it's not a good idea.

• 8. Re: Video Glitches While Trying To Edit
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

SG,

Sort of disagree on the part about bad idea. It is often suggested and does work often as a non re-coding technique for .mod to .mpg. Been there, done that. And, those non re-encoding workarounds have worked in other situations, such as .mts to .ts and other, as well as .mod to .mpg. If it works, it is not a bad idea...stress IF. IF is does not then it is time for conversion.

ATR

• 9. Re: Video Glitches While Trying To Edit
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Snugdiddy

Although you wish to avoid file conversion to DV AVI, you should try the conversion from .mod to DV AVI next in a mini test run.

Steve Grisetti has a FAQ on the topic

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

Check it out.

I personally favor MPEG Streamclip, but see what works for you, especially if it a free download and gets the job done.

I have used MPEG Streamclip, so, if any further questions on its use, please do not hesitate to ask.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Video Glitches While Trying To Edit

Tony, you're definitely right about changing file extensions from VOB or even MOD to MPEG -- since they're all essentially the same format.

But changing a .mpg suffix to a .avi will not make an MPEG an AVI, of course.

• 11. Re: Video Glitches While Trying To Edit
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve Grisetti wrote:

Changing the extension on a file does not change the format of the file itself. It merely comfuses the program. In most cases, it's not a good idea.

SG

Your prior "not a good idea remarks" generalized and took in .mod to .mpg, VOB to .mpg..... But, in your follow up post, you seem to agree with me on useful of those non re-encoding means.

As for .mod to .avi, I usually start with .mod to .mpg, that works, and I stop there. But, I have seen reports of .mod to .mpg or .avi. And, I recall the rare times that I have tried it, it worked. So it is worth a try if all else fails and the odds are against you and you are resisting software conversion as is the case here.

ATR

• 12. Re: Video Glitches While Trying To Edit
                                snugdiddy Level 1

So I downloaded Streamclip. I will try converting to an AVI. when I click export to avi does it matter what settings do you use? The project I am doing is a theater performance of a musical for the cast members. So it just has to be able to play on any dvd and tv. Should I just use the defaults?

• 13. Re: Video Glitches While Trying To Edit

The article Tony links to above describe the settings to use for converting your files, snug.

• 14. Re: Video Glitches While Trying To Edit
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Snugditty

Sounds like progress on your side.

First, when you downloaded MPEG Streamclip, did you download with it  the Quicktime Alternative (with the required MPEG2 Playback Component). That all comes free. The trick is that you have to uninstall the regular Quicktime to get this to work.

The alternative is to downloaded MPEG Streamclip, but not the Quicktime Alternative. Instead keep your installed Quicktime and buy the MPEG2 Playback Component from Apple.

Assuming all that is behind us, the link provided to do the job with the how to instructions, but here is what I have been doing successfully with MPEG Streamclip and Quicktime Alternative with its MPEG2 Playback Component

1. Open MPEG Streamclip

2. File Menu/Open File/browse to your MOD file on the computer hard drive save location

3. In the next window, File Menu/Export to AVI

4.In the dialog that opens:

Compression = Apple DV/DVC PRO NTSC

Sound = Uncompressed

Dot the 720 x 480 DV NTSC

Field Dominance = Lower Field First

Up at the top where it says Options, click to get the drop down menu, leave the Scan Mode = Interlaced and set the Aspect Ratio = 4:3 or 16:9.

If you have any problems with flicker, you might want to make sure that just the "Deinterlace Video" option has a check mark next to it.

Click on Make AVI and that is it.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: Video Glitches While Trying To Edit
                                      snugdiddy Level 1

Streamclip has helped a lot. I am in the process of converting and so far so good! Thanks a bunch! You have been very helpful. Chances are you will see me again with more questions with Premiere down the road.   Thanks again

• 16. Re: Video Glitches While Trying To Edit
                                        snugdiddy Level 1

I need some help again. I am trying to convert more video again and my streamclip converter isnt working. I think it is the quicktime. Any pointers? I tried reinstalling the alternative but it doesnt seem to work still. A message pops up saying I need to install the newer quicktime.

Thanks

• 17. Re: Video Glitches While Trying To Edit

I recommend install the newest version of Quicktime.

• 18. Re: Video Glitches While Trying To Edit
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

snugdiddy

Steve Grisetti would need to explain his last remark in which he recomments updating QuickTime. As I see it, that suggestion is not appropriate to your present situation and can only generate more problems.

First, from what you wrote, I am understanding that you did get this to work using:

MPEG Streamclip version 1.2 and QuickTime Alternative 1.81 which included the free required MPEG2 Playback Component.

The alternative to that was to use MPEG Streamclip version 1.2 and your regular QuickTime (whatever the latest version is) AND buy the required MPEG2 Playback Component to incorporate into that particular setup. That is where Steve Grisetti's suggestion might have merit. But, you are NOT going this non free route.

To the contrary, QuickTime Alternative 1.81 with its free MPEG2 Playback Component WILL NOT WORK with MPEG Streamclip when the regular version of QuickTime is installed on that same computer.

You could do a complete install/reinstall of MPEG Streamclip and QuickTime Alternative, provided all traces of the regular QuickTime are gone from this computer. But, first confirm that you are converting the same video format as before. Are you unsuccessfully trying to convert video with a format that is different from the one that was successful initially?

If Steve Grisetti or you recheck the MPEG Streamclip web site, you both should be able to confirm that nothing has changed in the MPEG Streamclip offering and requirements.

This is my current information on a software whose use I value for multi purposes.

ATR