3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2009 6:58 AM by marycarnahan

Camera raw  with a Mac problem

marycarnahan

For anyone that can help I will give many thanks.

I bought a Nikon D90 and I have a Mac.  I took a few shots with the camera raw format ( yes the images are in the camera) and tried to get the image on elements 6.0 for Mac and it did not work. Every image came up grey and grainy looking when I opened the file.  Went to file>open> tried to use the camera raw but had to use the photoshop raw to open it and that is when I got the grey image.  Then I downloaded the Camera Raw 5.4 and tried to open it and it read that it was not compatible with the photoshop.  What did I do wrong?  How can that be?

Please send advise in a easy way (kind of new to all this) so I will not pull my hair out.

thanks in advance,

marycarnahan

• 1. Re: Camera raw  with a Mac problem
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am not sure about the grainy images.  If ACR is too old to recognize RAWs

from your camera it should just give an error message, not produce a strange

image.   If you are trying to read the images directly from your camera

using Elements, I would suggest copying the files to your local hard drive,

first.   I don't know if it will make any difference, but it is usually

faster and less chance to wear things out on a expensive camera body if you

take the SDHC card out and put it into a card-reader and use that to access

the images.

As far as installing the ACR 5.4 update, which I suggest you attempt to do,

again, but realize that the setup program that comes with the ACR 5.4

updater is for updating Photoshop, not Elements, and if you have an older

version of Photoshop than CS4, then the isntaller will likely complain that

it doesn't find one that is appropriate.

There are special instructions to install the Camera RAW 5.4 update for

Photoshop Elements 6 on a Mac:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4523

The instructions, above, were linked about halfway down on the the main

Camera RAW 5.4 update page:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4517

I am a PC user and also have to use a similar manual process to update ACR

for Elements on Windows.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Camera raw  with a Mac problem
            marycarnahan Level 1

Thank you for the fast reply,

I printed the info for the downloads 5.4 and it reads that "this new version of the Camera Raw plug in replaces the original installed with Adobe Creative Suite 4,Adobe Photoshop CS4 and Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 software" which is what I have.

So I do n ot think that I need to have CS4 along with Elements 6 for Mac. Is the correct.  If it is then I must be doing someting wrong with the installation.

This is getting confusing and I will take your advise and re-try the download.  I have it now downloaded onto my hard drive but will try and place the images differently.

Lost,

Mary C

• 3. Re: Camera raw  with a Mac problem
              marycarnahan Level 1

Yeah!   I did it, thank you for your help.  At 64 I am still learning a ton of things, good for me and thank you for the advise.

I am a happy camper.  Now I need to go out  and shoot more raw.  Now I can play.  Any more tips on this from you would be great.

In peace and loght,

Mary C.