1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 3, 2009 3:41 AM by Harm Millaard

better cpu for Premiere?

djbills Level 1

Hello - I'm upgrading computers and have a tough choice to make on CPU.  A friend has access to a crazy sale where his job is selling "last years" workstations off at a huge discount.

I can afford either the somewhat "base" model in the 8 core HP's - an 8 core xeon based setup with dual e5405's @ 2.0ghz, 1333 fsb & 12mb cache.  Or I can go another route that would get me a Dell workstation with the core 2 duo q6850 in it now, which is 1333 fsb/4mb cache @ 3.0ghz.

I'm wondering which of those 2 would be better for HD editing in Premiere.  I'm having a hard time finding benchmarks that compare the two, and what really threw me were the sys requirements for Premiere - they mention "2GHz or faster processor for DV; 3.4GHz for HDV; dual 2.8GHz for HD"
      hard to tell where an 8 core xeon @ 2ghz falls within this.
      http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

My main question is more the classic ghz vs ghz argument, where I know well and good all chips are not created equal.  Does anyone have any experience with the 8 core 2ghz system and editing HD content?  Does it perform ok and have enough throughput to keep up with higher clock speed cpus?

thanks

• 1. Re: better cpu for Premiere?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

I would be wary of Dell. Just the other day - in another thread - someone found out that the Bios in the Dell he has is crippled and does not allow overclocking. His only way to improve speed is to get a faster processor at enormous cost.

A quad core is not enough if you want to edit AVCHD. A dual Xeon E5405 HP was an entry level workstation.

My guess is that for around the same amount you can build your own i7 system, that will blow both systems out of the water.

For benchmarks, look here: http://www.passmark.com/baselines/top.html

Look specifically at positions 10 and 11 and at positions 18 and 19. That will show you clearly that a good i7 system can be better or equal to a dual Xeon.

Also have a look here: How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

Limited comparison between an i7 and a dual 5410 shows the i7 to be significantly faster (depending on the test between 1.5 - 3 times).