10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2009 7:30 PM by the_wine_snob

Adobe CS4 Premier AVCHD encode time

kickingk

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me.  I have just strated using adobe cs4 premier, and was thinking does an encoding of an avchd 1 minute file to H264 - should it take 11 minutes??, my machine is as follows, or is there a setting I am doing wrong?  I read somewhere you should close premier and open the sequence from the project directly in adobe encoder?,  I have disabled preview didn't make any difference on the time, and when it starts encoding the CPU is constant 99% ??? Thanks for your help.

• Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T5800
        (2.0GHz, 800MHz, 2MB cache)

• Genuine Windows Vista ® Home Premium

• 3GB Memory

• 160 GB Hard Drive

• Blu-ray Disc Drive with DVD ReWriter drive

• NVIDIA GeForce 9200 graphics card
        (256MB Dedicated)

• 1. Re: Adobe CS4 Premier AVCHD encode time
          Harm Millaard Level 7

That sounds rather good for a system which is way underpowered for this material, both in CPU and in disk setup. On longer timelines expect even worse encoding times.

Either live with it or get a much more powerful PC or use material that puts less strain on the system.

• 2. Re: Adobe CS4 Premier AVCHD encode time
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I have to agree with Harm.  Given your system, those encoding times sound about right.

• 3. Re: Adobe CS4 Premier AVCHD encode time
              kickingk Level 1

Thanks Harm, Jim

Do you reckon if I exported to something like mpeg 2 rather than h264 it should be quicker???I gather that would be the next best thing,  From your experience.., what sort of time would I be looking at, I used to have a normal DV camcorder before and that was easy but replaced it with a avchd, so thinking what to do to make my life easier, like you said with the machine I have if I want to keep it HD I am going to suffer as I build the timeline.

Another thing I had a problem with was the transition, I couldn't find the tab to change the duration time, I looked at the help, prefernces general there was nothing for effects

Thanks for all your help

• 4. Re: Adobe CS4 Premier AVCHD encode time
                Harm Millaard Level 7

MPEG2-BR is quicker than H.264-BR, but how much on your system, I don't know. You best try it out, but a guess is around twice as fast.

Transition duration defaults to the settings in preferences. If you want to change the duration of an individual transition, do so in the effect controls panel.

• 5. Re: Adobe CS4 Premier AVCHD encode time
                  kickingk Level 1

Hi, Yes you were right and it took approx 4 minutes to 1 minute using the preset mpeg2-bluray.  My friend wanted me to make him a copy on DVD, I tries exporting the same 1 minute using the preset mpeg2-DVD.  The quality was so bad, it was like blurry??, Can you overide the presets bit rates, I was thinking it might make it better?, any idea on what I should do.

The only way I could get a decent copy out was to use DV widescreen Pal.  This would mean I would have to use mainconcept mpeg encoder to encode it like I used to in the past with a previous copy of premier.  I know if I use mainconcept and set the vbr I can get a really good copy.

I don't understand why the default mpeg2-DVD did not do a good copy as I don't want to end up encoding twice??

Am I doing something silly.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Adobe CS4 Premier AVCHD encode time
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Since your DV PAL version is good, just import that into Encore and let Encore do the encoding for you.

The alternative is using a bitrate calculator like this: http://dvd-hq.info/bitrate_calculator.php?PHPSESSID=6501b6b2b31f4c4a295bc8c2ba1e6f57#Calcu lator

• 7. Re: Adobe CS4 Premier AVCHD encode time
                      kickingk Level 1

Hi,

From your experience, if i let encore encode the dv pal exported from premier it should encode better.  I have viewed the dv pal and it is perfect, so we would be encoding from sd to sd dvd???, also where is the encode settings in encore??

If I was to use another product to encode the avi to mpeg for dvd, is there a setting in encore to say not to reencode  the mpeg file???

I know that avchd to sd downsizing its not that good.

On another note.  Can I burn avchd dvd's from encore, in the past I have used another product, and after paying all this money I'm hoping I can do everything from this product??

So what I would be doing is exporting from premier using the adobe mpeg2-bluray, using another product to mux the back to m2ts.  I then want to use the m2ts on a avchd dvd I also don't want it to rencode this again??

Thanks for your help.

• 8. Re: Adobe CS4 Premier AVCHD encode time
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

For DVD you need either DV AVI or MPEG2-DVD. If you feed Encore an AVI, it will automatically transcode to MPEG2-DVD. Nothing for you to do. If you feed Encore an MPEG2-DVD, you will need to figure the best encode setting. That is what the bitrate calaculator is for. Encore will recognize the MPEG2 and indicate that the file is already transcoded.

For BR you need either MPEG2-BR or H.264-BR (you can use the same calculator for optimal settings) but from Encore you can only make a Blu Ray Disk, not a DVD.

AVCHD-DVD does not exist. The DVD specs do not allow that.

• 9. Re: Adobe CS4 Premier AVCHD encode time
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Why not use BD for the HD material in your AVCHD? Everyone seems to want to do some sort of hybrid DVD with AVCHD material. What is the purpose of this?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Adobe CS4 Premier AVCHD encode time
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

This THREAD on the PrE forum might give you some tips.

Good luck,

Hunt