4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2009 4:30 AM by Barna Biro

[Flex Builder 3]how can I create a template of website in Flex ?

bocianek

I would like to create a website in Flex. But I don't know how I can create a template. Each site has got not changeable elements: background, header, menu and footer - template and changeable element in the middle of each site - content.

I can't copy and paste on each site: background, header, menu and footer - this isn't comfortable. Is other way ? How can I create template for website in Flex Builder 3 ?

• 1. Re: [Flex Builder 3]how can I create a template of website in Flex ?
          jake_flex Level 2

I'm not sure if understood you correctly. Maybe CSS is what you're looking for.

• 2. Re: [Flex Builder 3]how can I create a template of website in Flex ?
            Barna Biro Level 3

Hi there,

Shortly put: Flex Builder is not Dreamweaver and nor are the Flex applications like HTML web pages. You can't creat any templates with wizzards or whatsoever, especially because Flex isn't really used to create web sites but rich internet applications ( although a web site might fall into this category, the two are still quite different Worlds ). So, the most you can do is either to develop a skeleton web site that you can fill with components later on ( which in my opinion is just a waste of time ) or create many little and standalone components that you can reuse in each project ( and also in projects that might not have anything to do with web sites ).

If you are looking to create templates that you might have gotten used to in Dreamweaver ( or other softwares like DW ), then I think that nor Flash or Flex are the technologies for you ( especially not then if you are thinking of templates the same way when using these technologies as if you were using Dreamweaver/HTML templates ). Flex 4 did introduce "templates" but those templates do not really fall into this "website templates" category either ( if you want to read up on the what Flex 4 templates are then visit this page: http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/gumbo/html/duplicate_1_WS52085436-ABD3-4d4d-B5E2-41C668CF68 47.html ).

With best regards,

Barna Biro

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: [Flex Builder 3]how can I create a template of website in Flex ?
              bocianek Level 1

I am very, very noob in Flex What is more English isn't my national language so as I understand You - I should build website in html/php +css and I should use Flex/Flash only for create some components for website. Good to know, thx

• 4. Re: [Flex Builder 3]how can I create a template of website in Flex ?
                Barna Biro Level 3

Actually I meant: You shouldn't waste time trying to create templates in Flex as you'd do in Dreamweaver for HTML/CSS web sites because Flex is a totally different World ( it works totally differently ). Regarding component: if you really, really, want to build a web site using Flex and hopefully reuse some elements in future projects ( just elements - so it's not a template ) then you should try building the web site in Flex by using many separate and standalone components that in the end would produce a complete and functional website ( like a Puzzle, or Lego ).

I hope you understood the idea now.

1 person found this helpful