5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2010 3:18 PM by ostyascukor

getting After Effects to recognize a codec

Megatron30

I'm having a problem in AE recognizing videos produced in GoToMeeting. They are being saved out as .wmv but with the GoToMeeting codec (G2M2 decoder - http://www.gotomeeting.com/codec), so I understand where that could be an issue.

The error I'm getting is: After Effects error: Error (4) reading frame from file "C:\blahblahblah.wmv". ( 86 :: 2 )

The problem that I'm having with AE not reconginzing the videos, is that I've purchased a $40 video converter & editor (AVS - http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Audio-Converter.aspx) that reads the video files with no problems.

So my question is, is there a way to get AE to recongize the videos with that codec like this inexpensive video converter/editor?

• 1. Re: getting After Effects to recognize a codec
          TimeRemapper Level 4

Your best bet will be to use your video transcoding software to convert (transcode) your footage to a different codec prior to using it in AE.

It's very likely a highly-compressed format natively, so, AE may have a hard time (depending on the type of compression used) decompressing  the footage in the timeline.

Use your purchased software to transcode the footage files to losslessly compressed, or uncompressed footage before importing it into AE (i.e.- uncompressed .avi, or Quicktime Animation codec @ best/full qualtiy).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: getting After Effects to recognize a codec
            Megatron30 Level 1

Yeah, that's essentially what I'm presently doing. I was just wondering if there was a way to get AE to recognize the codec. It plays fine in windows media player. I just think it's a pit of a shame that a $40 converter and vid editor can recognize a video file with a particular codec no problem, and AE cannot.

• 3. Re: getting After Effects to recognize a codec
              yenaphe Level 4

Well AVS is a shortname for avisynth wich is a technology that create a live proxy for you file in order for your software to recognize it. But that is not a viable professional solution, and that's why it's not supported inside AE.

AE have specific ways of working, and is neither an Non Linear Editor, nor an Encoding utility. It already supports a lot of codecs, sometimes via third party, and it is not aimed at supporting live proxying as avisynth and other streaming/reading small programs do for consumer products.

You can still request this feature in the request form.

• 4. Re: getting After Effects to recognize a codec
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I just think it's a pit of a shame that a $40 converter and vid editor can recognize a video file with a particular codec no problem, and AE cannot.

You are oversimplifying the case here. WMV is fully based on DirectDraw and Codecs of that kind require special prerequisites to decode. AE tries to do some of that by ways of MediaCore, but by all rights, you cannot blame it for not being able to handle any CoDec on this planet. It's no different with DivX formats that don't support legacy visdeo handling for instance. And then again - a compositing program is just that. In the strictest term it wouldn't have to care about compressed media at all and you are actually lucky that AE handles so many formats for input and output. Other programs like Nuke, Fusion or combustion* only allow you to use Quicktime files or image sequences. So, with no disrespect to your immediate workflow concerns, you are not considering that actually the sole problem here is you wanting the program to do something it was never designed for...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: getting After Effects to recognize a codec
                  ostyascukor Level 1

ok you will love this!

i just loaded a wmv into after effects, and after i closed and restart the after effects i cant load in the same wmv

i actually have the uncompressed avi version of the wmv i made in after effects, and i cant load the wmv in the prog