8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2009 1:58 PM by Collin Gabriel

VOB files in Director 11.5

Collin Gabriel

Okay so I have inherited a monster.  We have 8.5 now, and I'm processing the upgrade to 11.5, but I've run into a few problems.  We use director as an interactive presentation platform, so that when we give presentations we can navigate through all the media my company has produced.  Click the bottom in reference - plays the media.  Some of it is older (5 years+), and vast, so to save space in the past we have converted our media to VOB files and threw it all into a central hard drive.  Up until now, we used an Xtra call OnStage DVD to import VOB files and play them in a projector.  That however, has not only proven buggy, but untrustworthy as well.  So my question is two-fold.  1.  Can we play VOB files directly out of director, and if so how.

2.  Is there a way to universally update all the files which were imported in this manner. 

I figure this may bit a bit unclear, so please feel free to lambast my ignorance on how to approach this problem.  Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: VOB files in Director 11.5
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

Director (since version 10?) "natively" supports DVD playback, rendering the xtra you mention obsolete. That answers your first question. I'm not sure what the second question is, much less how to answer it. You can upgrade all your Director files to 11.5, but they will probably throw errors about missing the OnStage xtra. It will largely be a manual process swapping the OnStage xtra to the DVD asset - assuming OnStage is implemented as an asset xtra (I can't remember - it's been about a decade since I used it).

• 2. Re: VOB files in Director 11.5
            Collin Gabriel Level 1

Great, and yes I just came into this project, which is quite a few years old.  So I simply replace the old media with the main VOB files and I should be fine?  Before we would just import them through OnStage.  I'll get to work, much appreciated.

• 3. Re: VOB files in Director 11.5

So I simply replace the old media with the main VOB files and I should be fine?

You should read the docs for #DVD members to familiarise yourself with the related properties, methods and events. I have no idea what any of your Director files look like or how they're structured or coded, so I can't comment on how easy a transition might be - all that I'm pointing out is that there is an option available that wasn't in the era of D8.5 (I'm struggling to remember when DVD members/assets were added to the feature-set - D9 or 10?)

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: VOB files in Director 11.5
                Collin Gabriel Level 1

I read what I could from the help files and am currently looking at the Lynda tutorials and Dean's Director Tutorials, but I am still having a problem.  Our method here, is to find commercial and cinematic clips, and export them through DVD Studio Pro as a DVD.  We then take the folders produced with the main VOB files and throw them into a central Directory.  Up until now, Director was setup as an executable projector that our boss would run at corporate events and he would have the ability to click on bitmap buttons on the stage which then call the VOB from the hard drive and play the VOB's as clips to aid in his presentation.  So with the upgrade from 8.5 the OnStage is now obsolete.  With that said, when I import the VOB's as movie files, by naming a cast member, say "Steve Martin", and then connecting the file through the property inspector to the VOB, I get no display or playback.  The help files vaguely refer to occasional drivers missing due to having PowerDVD installed that could cause this.  My question after all this is how to get Director to recognize a VOB file, because I think once it recognizes it, problem solved.  I am running this on a Dell with Windows XP, Windows Media and PowerDVD are both installed on my hard drive.  I only mention this because the help files say that Windows uses the current DVD player from the machine to display the image, and yet it doesn't say how to tell Director to utilize them.  Thanks again for any help.

• 5. Re: VOB files in Director 11.5

I think what you need to do is set the member.folder property to point to your VOB files - or the video_ts folder that holds each one.

• 6. Re: VOB files in Director 11.5
                    Collin Gabriel Level 1

Did that, and the movie window comes up blank, and I can't point to just the folder for some reason, it wants me to point to a file, is it something with the loading options?  The file will play in windows media, so I don't know if you have to include code to tell Director to play the media through shockwave, or some sort of behavior that will get it to run.

• 7. Re: VOB files in Director 11.5

If it will play in Windows Media Player then perhaps you should use a #windowsMedia member ({menu} Insert -> Media Element -> Windows Media) to play your VOB files. You could insert a single member and change its member.filename property with code on demand to swap to different VOB files.

• 8. Re: VOB files in Director 11.5
                        Collin Gabriel Level 1

That did it!  I knew the answer would eventually come from the pro's, you have my extreme appreciation Sean.  This shouldn't be a bad fix at all