14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2009 8:43 PM by John T Smith

Terrabyte USB Hard Drive WITH a Power Switch

John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I will check Newegg/Google when I have more time, but thought I'd ask here first to see if anyone has a recommendation based on personal experience

My computer does not have a Firewire connection, and this will ONLY be to archive files, so USB works just fine for me

I am looking for either a Terrabyte USB hard drive WITH a power switch

OR the brand/model of an external (single drive is all I need) case... again, with a power switch

• 1. Re: Terrabyte USB Hard Drive WITH a Power Switch
          rawatts

I have been using Fantom 1TB drives with success for over a year.  I have found that I can even create projects when I use the eSATA cable with no problem.  I have seen them recently for about $75 after a $20 rebate - http://www.buy.com/prod/fantom-greendrive-1tb-usb-2-0-and-esata-external-hard-drive-2-year /q/loc/101/208503758.html

• 2. Re: Terrabyte USB Hard Drive WITH a Power Switch
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Why a power switch? My favorite is the Freedom XXS range of USB drives, for use with my notebook, to download XDCAM material or record HDV/DV material with OL and transfer to my workstation. For external disks on my workstation, I prefer firewire, even though one can doubt the need for that with my storage and the use of a 10+ TB NAS.

Just for backup purposes you could also consider a removable tray in your workstation for swappable disks.

• 3. Re: Terrabyte USB Hard Drive WITH a Power Switch
              Mortimer IOU Level 2

For archiving lately I've been using Metal Gear Box external enclosures via usb. I have half a dozen, and it's easy to swap out any 3.5" drive, of which I have about a dozen. Haven't gone over 500 Gb per drive, however. I connect three at a time to each of my PCs. Perhaps not the most elegant way to archive, but works for me. And the price is right. The enclosures do have on/off switches.

• 4. Re: Terrabyte USB Hard Drive WITH a Power Switch

>Why a power switch?

The plug is behind my computer and hard to reach due to the computer furniture I use, or by extension cord across the floor which is not really safe, so I want to leave it plugged in all the time, but only ON when I want to use it

>Just for backup purposes you could also consider a removable tray in your workstation for swappable disks.

I already have swap hardware, for boot and data, but what I need is a large, external drive to copy finished files to for archiving

I'll check the link in another post, as well as looking around at Newegg

Added - This is what I'm going to buy at Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152178

• 5. Re: Terrabyte USB Hard Drive WITH a Power Switch

Well, I bought the drive... and now it seems that my motherboard (Intel D875PBZ with latest Bios update from June 2005) won't work properly with the drive

WinXp did Ok at changing the drive from the default Fat32 to Ntfs, but every time I try to copy a file over about 4Gig I get a "delayed write" error (my full drive backups are about 18-20gig... which copy just fine to a 200gig or 320gig Usb hard drive)

I've gone through the entire list of fixes at http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US concerning that error and a usb hard drive... no joy

Anyone have any ideas?

Of course, I could just wait to use this drive until I build an i7 computer with a newer Bios.....

• 6. Re: Terrabyte USB Hard Drive WITH a Power Switch

I was tired and didn't post the correct link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174

1 - write caching is NOT on for any drive

2 - I am using the correct IDE wire

3 - Bios is (primitive but) Ok... there are 2 Usb speed selections 480Mbs and 12Mbs, mine was/is set to 12

4 - system cache is properly configured

5 - added value to registry, no change

I am next going to copy the large (16-to-24Gig) files over the network to my wife's newer computer, and see if they will copy to the usb drive from there... if that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to contact Newegg for a return

• 7. Re: Terrabyte USB Hard Drive WITH a Power Switch
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

John,

Try if you get better results with the BIOS settings for USB2.0 instead of USB1.0. That is the difference between 480 (2.0) and 12 (1.0). You may have to disable legacy USB support in the BIOS as well.

• 8. Re: Terrabyte USB Hard Drive WITH a Power Switch

I will try that when I get home tonight... as I remember, Usb 2 support is "on" as is legacy support

I'll see what happens if I turn off legacy support, and change the speed setting from 12 to 480

As far as I know, I don't HAVE any v1 devices (hmm... not sure about my digital camera) so I don't think turning off legacy support will cause problems... if something else doesn't work, it's just back to the Bios and put things the way they were

Copying these large files to a different (smaller... 200 or 320gig) drive works... and copying files up to 4gig to this Terrabyte drive works... so I just come back to thinking that "something" about my Bios settings is causing the problem, so what you suggest may very well work

• 9. Re: Terrabyte USB Hard Drive WITH a Power Switch
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Your mouse and keyboard may be legacy devices, so be aware that if you turn off legacy support and these devices no longer work, you know what to change.

When changing BIOS settings, it is advisable to change one thing at a time, test if it does not break anything, then proceed to the next step. Time consuming, but it keeps you out of trouble, especially since you can't take screenshots of your BIOS settings for posting here. You have to do with photos of your screen if you need help.

• 10. Re: Terrabyte USB Hard Drive WITH a Power Switch

Mouse/Keyboard are both PS/2 type, not Usb, so no problem there

According to the Intel PDF for my motherboard, the default DMA Mode is "automatic" so I doubt I will mess with that

The only thing I plan to do tonight is disable legacy Usb support, after checking the tiny user guide that came with the Samsung drive to be sure it is Usb2, and then seeing what happens with a large file transfer

If that works, all I have to do is test my digital camera to see if it works without Usb1 and I'm good to go

If that doesn't work, I'll see if it works when connected to my wife's newer HP computer... if that works, I can live with copying my large files to her hard drive through our home network, and then from her computer to the Terrabyte drive... at least until I build an i7 computer with a "modern" motherboard and Bios

My current computer is only 5 years old, and it is already WAY behind the hardware curve

• 11. Re: Terrabyte USB Hard Drive WITH a Power Switch
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

DMA is a setting for IDE connections and has no relevancy for USB connections.

All 250+ GB external drives with USB are USB2.0. This certainly applies to your 1 TB version.

• 12. Re: Terrabyte USB Hard Drive WITH a Power Switch

I only mentioned DMA because the Microsoft article I linked has a section about not setting the Bios to force a faster mode than the hardware will support... which I have not done (have never even looked, but will tonight just to find out) so will just leave DMA as it is

I will turn off Usb1 and see what happens... and also see if my digital camera still works... would be a PITA if I had to reset the Bios every time I want to take a picture and get it into the computer, but I guess I can live with that if really needed

I'm not quite sure how having legacy Usb1 "active" could cause this problem, but right now I'm willing to try just about anything

• 13. Re: Terrabyte USB Hard Drive WITH a Power Switch

Turning legacy Usb off didn't help at all... so now I've got the Terrabyte drive hooked to my wife's 1.5 year old HP to see if that works

If it does, I'll simply copy my 20+Gig backup file to her computer, and then to the Terrabyte drive

• 14. Re: Terrabyte USB Hard Drive WITH a Power Switch

Follow-up and last(?) message

I copied 4 18-to-24Gig files to my wife's newer computer (81Gig total for the 4 files) and then to the Terrabyte usb drive

No problems at all, so when I have a large file to copy, I'll just do it that way... until I build an i7 computer