18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2009 6:57 AM by Jim_Simon

Trouble exporting from CS4

Barrheader

I'm helping a friend on his Premiere Pro CS4 to put together a basic video. The capture format when we started it was HDV and I think (because I hadn't done it before and I really don't remember) I did it in DV NTSC 24p (which is silly since I'm in the UK, not North America). Any export attempt I make seems to squish the image horizontally, quite apart from having black margins around it no matter what I try.

Then I tried starting a new project, this time set to DV PAL and then copied and pasted my sequence from the other finished video into that, and exported it. So the image looked fine, but there was absolutely no sound.

Do I have to do this whole thing from scratch or can I salvage the work I've put into it already?

Help welcomed please.

Cheers

• 1. Re: Trouble exporting from CS4
          Barrheader Level 1

PS I'm on Mac OS X (Leopard)

• 2. Re: Trouble exporting from CS4
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            Any export attempt I make seems to squish the image horizontally, quite apart from having black margins around it no matter what I try.

This is the result of mismatched settings.

• 3. Re: Trouble exporting from CS4
              Barrheader Level 1

So what's the solution? If I created DV NTSC 24p, is there no way to export it without the image being squished? (pardon my lack of the technical term) Is there no way of avoiding having to do the entire project again from scratch?

• 4. Re: Trouble exporting from CS4
                Jim_Simon Level 8

So what's the solution?

Make sure all settings match - media, sequence, export.  There would be no need to reedit if you used the wrong sequence settings.  Just create a new sequence with the correct settings to match your media, then Cut/Paste all the clips from the old to the new.

• 5. Re: Trouble exporting from CS4
                  Barrheader Level 1

As I said, I tried creating a new project in DV PAL Widescreen and then exported as PAL Widescreen, copying and pasting all the clips from the original project to the new one. Aside from the face that it stripped off all the effects, when I exported it there was no sound at all. So why would that be? There's sound before I export.

• 6. Re: Trouble exporting from CS4
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

The easier way to do this is to drag the 'wrong' sequence into your new sequence, a nested sequence. That will leave all your transitions intact.

Check with Interpret footage that your framerate is correct, otherwise set it to the correct framerate.

Does the sound track in the new sequence show a waveform?

• 7. Re: Trouble exporting from CS4
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I tried creating a new project in DV PAL Widescreen

But your media is HDV.  There's your mismatch.

Also take note that with anamorphic footage, the export will look squished.  This is normal.  Your playback method - Blu-ray, DVD, computer software player - will unsquish it.  With the first two, this often happens without user intervention.  With computer software media players, it needs to be done manually.

• 8. Re: Trouble exporting from CS4
                        Barrheader Level 1

So what SHOULD my media be? I did try creating a new sequence which keeps all my transitions etc. That worked, and the sound worked. . . but it was still squished. I've tried opening in Quicktime and VLC and I don't understand how they unsquish it? I do apologise for my, clearly profound, ignorance on this subject.

• 9. Re: Trouble exporting from CS4
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

So what SHOULD my media be?

There is no 'should' here.  Your media is what it is.

I've tried opening in Quicktime and VLC and I don't understand how they unsquish it?

Quicktime has issues with this and is best not used.  VLC has a right click menu option for Aspect Ratio under the Video flyout.

• 10. Re: Trouble exporting from CS4
                            Barrheader Level 1

Ah, well that has helped. I switched to 16:9 which looks about right. What is the best way to then save that setting before I start working on the video in AfterEffects and pass it to my friend who will be converting to Flash?

Thank you for your help.

• 11. Re: Trouble exporting from CS4
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Save what setting?

• 12. Re: Trouble exporting from CS4
                                Barrheader Level 1

Well I've changed the aspect ratio on VLC so it LOOKS ok, but how do I ensure it opens in that aspect ratio when I put it on the internet, or import it into After Effects? I tried importing it to AE as an experiment and it is just squished of course.

• 13. Re: Trouble exporting from CS4
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  how do I ensure it opens in that aspect ratio when I put it on the internet, or import it into After Effects?

For the first part, you have no control on how a viewer might have their player set. It's similar to shipping out a 4:3 DVD-Video and not knowing what sort of set-top player and TV the user will play that disc.

The second part is controlled by how you Export from PrPro, and how the Composition is set up in AE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Trouble exporting from CS4
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

how do I ensure it opens in that aspect ratio when I put it on the internet, or import it into After Effects?

Two different things.  For After Effects, leave it squished.  Use the Interpret Footage option to 'unsquish' it.

For the Internet, how are you intending distribution?  Flash, downloadable, wmv, YouTube, etc?

• 15. Re: Trouble exporting from CS4
                                      Barrheader Level 1

Again, I apologise for my ignorance on this.

I used "interpret footage" in AfterEffects but unfortunately that cause a further problem (the video sequence I created in PrPro includes a still image at the end, and when the footage is interpreted it splits that off so the size of the image no longer matches the footage as I created it).

Although I can't control the players other people use, I want to ensure the video I upload to youtube/vimeo and my website will be the right shape. Should I just import the sequence from PrPro to AE rather than exporting into a .mov format and then dumping that into AE?

• 16. Re: Trouble exporting from CS4
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

You'll have to work on the clip in AE separate from the still image.  Don't bring them in together.  Right clip on the clip in the Premiere sequence and select "Replace with After Effects Composition..."  This will open up AE with all the right specs for you to work on the clip.  You changes will show up automatically in Premiere.

Exporting for the Internet is best done using square pixels.  It's a separate process done after all else is finished, so it's best to come back to that when your ready.

• 17. Re: Trouble exporting from CS4
                                          Barrheader Level 1

So do you mean that if I have a sequence of clips, that I "replace with AE composition" on each clip and edit them individually and that will keep the integrity of the sequence together? Will I have to reapply the transitions after  that's done?

• 18. Re: Trouble exporting from CS4
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8

If the clips all need the same effect, and they're all the same specs, and there's no transitions between them, you can select multiple clips and do a mass "Replace...".  However, if individual clips need different effects, or if the clip specs don't exactly match (like your media and your still), or if there are transitions between the clips, then you will have to do a "Replace" on each clip.