5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2009 10:48 AM by Wade_Zimmerman

Printing on CDs/DVD cases

apricotandpearjam

Hi.

Im new to illustrator.

I need to print for 2 different things...

1. A CD/DVD

2. A slimline DVD case.

I have 100 blank DVD cases (slimline) and 100 DVD/CDs stickers.

Im not sure how to get my design from illustrator onto the CD stickers and how to make sure i print out the right size for the DVD cases...

I cant seem to work out how how to put the page into landscape mode so im currently running it in portrait.

Any help is going to be massively helpful.

Thanks, Benji

• 1. Re: Printing on CDs/DVD cases
          Mario Arizmendi Level 3

Illustrator comes with a predefined  set of artworks of this called "templates" with the rigth sizes

1. From Illustrator go to New/New from template

2. Normaly this take you to the right place where the templates are stored under the cool extras folder, if not, see a picturePicture 1.png

3. Look inside Basic or inspiration folders and you will find many diferent templates to start with.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Printing on CDs/DVD cases
            apricotandpearjam Level 1

Hi.

This is helpful but its really about the printing that i have the problem with.

I have used one of the templates and printed it but it was the wrong size so its really about how to get your image to the exact size of what you want to print onto...

I have a DVD case which is 27cm wide and 18.5cm high... In the middle is 0.6mm and so both sides are 13.2cm. How do i get these exact measurements in illustrator.

It would help if i could get an A4 Landscape background to start with. Any ideas on that from within the program?

Thanks again, Benji

• 3. Re: Printing on CDs/DVD cases
              Mario Arizmendi Level 3

apricotandpearjam wrote:

It would help if i could get an A4 Landscape background to start with. Any ideas on that from within the program?

Thanks again, Benji

You can modify this from File/Document setup...in AICS3

Are you sure you are printing at 100%...?

Picture 2.png

• 4. Re: Printing on CDs/DVD cases
                John Danek Level 4

I've done CD prints myself on my inkjet proofer:

1.)  In Illustrator, do a Command > N ( new ) and select Letter > Landscape as your page setup and doumnet layout.

2.)  Select View > Show Page Tiling.  You should see your printer's page setup.

3.)  Turn rulers on: Command > R.

4.)  This part you might not like, but I physically measured the score in the label page.  I wrote down all X and Y coordinates and measured the actual "circle(s)" of the print areas.  Remember which direction the page will be entering the printer and recreate the entire setup in your document.  Odds are the circles are not centered exactly, that's why you have to focus on the print direction.  When I did mine, I printed the document strokes and placed it over the label page on a lightbox to see how it lines up.

5.)  If it matches, you can use the Illustrator document as a template for that particular label sheet ( 1 of 100 ) manufacturer.  If it does not match, it shouldn't be difficult to make adjustments and repeat the process until it lands dead-on with the sheet.  Then, it's just a matter of placing your artwork and print.

• 5. Re: Printing on CDs/DVD cases
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Does your printer support custom page sizes? If so go to the Page Set up and in paper sizes go to manage custom sizes and create the page to the orientation you want it that is the height to be the smaller of the two dimensions.

You might find it easier to work that way.

Screen shot 2009-09-02 at 1.45.11 PM.png

Screen shot 2009-09-02 at 1.45.32 PM.png