• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 8 Crashing randomly and now project cant open

Participant ,
Sep 02, 2009 Sep 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was working on my RH8 HTML project, removing some broken links and editing folder names.

I changed the 'root' folder name, it was an empty folder but at the top level under the HTML Files, Images, Multimedia etc menus. That went fine, and I continued to remove some dead links and edit some topics.

Then I recieved the lovely MS error, 'RH is not responding and needs to close'. So I closed RH, re-opened it and now when I try to open my project, it opens RH, the topics load on the bottom Topic List pod, and then it freezes. The egg timer stays on, the process uses no more memory and its stuck.

I tried to open other project and they did, is there anyway to recover the project? all the files etc and folder structure are still intact on my hard drive, just the project wont load.

Any tips?

Thanks. Nick

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to fix this by opening the .hhp file, rather than the Robohelp HTML Project File. It seems to have recovered everything, and now the project file opens correctly also. Just incase anyone else has this same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not necessarily the best approach.

The first attempt with a copy of the project is to rename the CPD and then reopen it. That way the project can rebuild information that is not in the HHP. That method is only when all else fails.

This time I suspect you were lucky in that the project was not too far advanced. Next time the way you solved it could be less effective.

See Opening Projects on my site.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm happy for you that you were able to save the project, but what on earth were you thinking when you "changed the 'root' folder name"?

Project files and folders should never be renamed (unless you enjoy learning heroic recovery methods).

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not?

It's something I do reasonably regularly. The time issues might be encountered is if you make large scale changes and don't do a Save All from time to time.

Doing it in one project that is part of a merge is another thing. It shouldn't break that project but cross project links might be a bit wobbly!

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gang

When I first read this post I somehow inferred that the project may contain a Word document that was imported and linked. Thus changing the "root" (my understanding was this was just another folder that was visible in the project) may have caused RoboHelp to choke and puke.

If somehow I managed to correctly interpret that, whatever name the folder had was likely derived from the file name of the Word document.

Heck, the mere mention of Word documents is enough to make ME wanna gag!

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 03, 2009 Sep 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah that correct, the folder name came from the Word doc and I wanted to change it. It didn't seem like that much of a disaster waiting to happen, the option to rename was there. And it is only a folder rename, the folder contained nothing it just sat at top level, though in windows explorer it does hold a .fpj file inside it, though I didn't want to delete it just incase something happened - which did

The word doc isn't linked to the RH project, simply because I don't really want to deal with that word doc ever again because its too large, causes word to crash and I'm just sick of it. So everything happen in RH, and if I need the word doc, ill publish one from RH.

I think maybe RH just had some trouble because I was making a lot of new folders, moving a load of topics and just making it work for its money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp