4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2008 10:17 AM by Peter Grainge

Can't Find & Replace

AcolinFlood
      Oh yeah, I am loving RoboHelp. NOT.

Why is the Multiple Find & Replace tool a separate component, and not inside a RoboHelp menu?
      Why can’t it find “<meta name=Originator content=ImportDoc>” in all files?
        • 1. Re: Can't Find &amp; Replace
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
          Two possibilities why it is not being found.

1] It will not necessarily be in all files.

2] The string may be spread over more than one line. Many such tools will only work on a single line of a text file, which is what an HTML file is. Try FAR from http://www.helpware.net or BKReplaceEm.I prefer the former as it is more developed and the price is not high. Some prefer BKReplaceEm because it is free. Link on my site or Google it.

• 2. Re: Can't Find &amp; Replace
            Jon A.
            I just figured this out for myself.

In a nutshell, the HTML view in the RoboHTML editor is NOT an accurate view of the actual code. It adds in extra stuff like class information that is not actually present in the HTML.

For example:

RoboHTML Editor says: <li style="font-size: 9pt; " class=p-Body>

Actual code: <LI style="font-size:9pt; ">

In order to get Multiple Find & Replace to work, you will need to open the file in something like Notepad that will give you the actual real code, and cut and paste from there into Find & Replace.

Once I started doing that, Multiple Find & Replace started working really well!

Hope this helped,

Jon Acheson
            • 3. Re: Can't Find &amp; Replace
              AcolinFlood Level 1
              thanks, but it seems like cumbersome way to review each and every file in a project
              • 4. Re: Can't Find &amp; Replace
                Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
                AcolinFlood

The search Jon is having problems with is different to yours and I have already posted an answer to your problem.

Jon A

Could it be that Notepad is putting on one line what RH is putting on two. There were some obscure problems with differences many years ago but I thought they were all fixed. Could you send me a file where the code is different according to which editor you view it in?