Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Array tool

Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2009 Sep 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

i thought it would be great to add an array tool like in 3ds max.

I use Illustrator to print small things, cards, labels, etc...

With the new "symbols" we can create instances of an object that is great specially for big projects.

Why not expand this idea with an array tool ?

For example you choose an object then the array tool can duplicate it as instances along the two axis, according to the measures entered in a dialog box.

What could be great too is the ability to put one instance normal, then one instance rotated, and again.

The fact is when printing small things, or cutting vinyl, or using a laser to cut material we want to save place to save material.

Perhaps it could calculate and place a maximum of instances into an area (for example a rectangle or the whole document).

If you have to do it manually it is very long and you just can't test all the possibilities.

I don't know if a lot of illustrator users use the soft directly to print or cut series, but this tool could be useful for me

- on a cutting plotter

- on a laser cutter

- on different printers

If it exists I probably use it 50 times a day and save a lot of time.

When the objects to duplicate are so small and you duplicate using cmd+d, you count 1, 2, 3, ... 55, 56, then the phone rings. I experiment this all days !

What do you think about it ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Effect > Distort & Transform > Transform. Run the effect again using vertical offset (under Move) to make copies of the rows.

Picture 4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks it's true that i didn't use this tool.

But perhaps it could be improved.

For example I tried to turn 180° the copys, the fact is the third one went over the first one (see fig1).

Then if you want to have copys along the two axis you must apply the effect 2 times that is not very handy.

If I want to get what's on second picture I must :

- copy the first form to get a "#1 + #2 form"

- do the transform on x

- do the transform on y

The problems are :

- if I want to modify horizontal offset I must change both horizontal offset in the panel and the space betwin forms 1 &2.

- if the available space on the material to cut or print can contain an odd number of copys I must decompose the drawing and manually erase the last copys.

But however that's true we always can get what we want, it is just a question of time and number of operations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2011 Mar 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just saw this when I searched for "Array Illustrator"...

I like the way Mathieu's thinking. It's great to know that the Transform... effect can help us make arrays of copied art.

I think I'd have made Mathieu's capt2.jpg by copying the symbol once, rotating it 180 degrees, then making a symbol of the 2 copies.

Then I'd use the Transform... effect to make the horizontal array, then the vertical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 23, 2011 Mar 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead, the new options array. It would be enough to add the ability to type percentages in the move.
Two advantages of this solution:
1. quickly moves the object relative to each other
2. scaling of the mother object automatically maintains distanceproportional

Tip1:

You can do this by adding three transformations to the object.

Or if the two transformations we group these two objects in one particularsetting.

tarnform1.png

transform 4.png transform 6.png
Tip2:
1. Modify in panel Appearance object with 3 x tranform
2. Click in the blank space
3. In the panel Apperance delete everything and leave only transform
4. Drag&drop icon from appearance to the styles panel. Establishment of a new style. Rename eg, 3x3 array
5. Create a new object. Hold down the ALT key and drag&drop Ikons styles to the object.

6. Do you have an "superArray tool" as you like!

Conclusion:
II bought CS4 only just for tool panel Appearance CS4. I thought the CS5 Adobe will develop this idea and Illustrator will eventually stop clicking the king only to make money. Hurray! But no ... Adobe used this revolutionary idea in Illustrator only as another window to click... ?!
Sorry for whining. Why is not there copies box in the dialog box Each Transform (shift + D)???. Why is not there when the box in exactly the same palettetransform the Effects menu, a field is? I break these "flowers" in Illustrator intereface CS4 and CS5.
Often help others to learn Illustrator and I can not explain it to them. Illustrator is the least intuitive programwhich I use in their work. I was hoping that the tool use illustartora Apperance changeforever.

Who is tested for Adobe??? Sorry. According to me, is certainly not a contemporary graphic.

I also appreciate all the work and effort the team Illustrator. My words are words of encouragement to continue working but with an emphasis on the proposed use of the tools in practice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I come from a 3D background as well, and I find it very strange that Illustrator doesn't have some kind of array duplicate tool like Maya or 3DS MAX. You would select an object or group and a duplicate tool would give you options for move, scale, rotate, center point and number of duplicates. 3D animation programs have done this for at least two decades. Why doesn't this, or for that matter, Photoshop? It is a very strange omission. Thanks for the workarounds guys, but it really ought to be much simpler to do things like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2015 Oct 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

it's maybe late but today I saw this post. I have the same situation like Mathieu. I searched 2 days for scripts, plugins etc. about this "problem". With your help I achieved this solution:

First - select the object that I want to copy many times, press Effect->Distort & Transform->Transform  I make the copies and move them (no matter horizontally or vertically), then click OK

Second - still selected the object go to Object->Expand Appearance

Third - now all objects are selected ->ungroup, click again on the first and with Align menu (and Distribute spacing), I arranged all objects against the first one with (for example) 3 mm spacing.

This not the best way but it's work for me, instead to count 1, 2, 3 .... etc, till talking on phone, or talking with the team... or something else around printing house activities.

I hope this help ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2016 Sep 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This! I was looking for this. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines