13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2009 3:25 PM by the_wine_snob

Video Scaling

futrell79

I am brand new to Adobe Premiere Pro the version that I have is 7.0 at least that is what is says when I go to the help screen within the program then down to About Adobe Premiere Pro. I have imported the video set the in and out points dragged down to video 1 section then do the same with my next video. When I preview the video in the far right hand screen upper right in shows up small in I click on fit it still doesn't take up the whole screen if I click on 100% it will take up the whole screen in the preview but here is the kicker when I export to movie and play back using windows media player it doesn't take up the whole screen just a small box. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.

• 1. Re: Video Scaling
          futrell79 Level 1

Here is a screen shot of what I am talking about. You can see in the far upper right hand corner that the preview is not consuming the blackness and this is also the way it will finalize if I went to export>movie>then pull up in windows media player

• 2. Re: Video Scaling
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Your sequence settings do not match your source material.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Video Scaling
              Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

WMV's aren't good source material for editing because they are usually pretty compressed. But.. If you must use them, start a new sequence. In the "General" tab for editing mode, choose "Desktop". Set your video dimension to match the dimension of the WMV, which is 400x300 as indicated in your screenshot.

Is this going to end up on the Web or PowerPoint?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Video Scaling
                futrell79 Level 1

I want to start by saying thank you for the reply. Yes I it will end up on power point 2007 for my youth messages. Is there a screen shot or a tutorial showing the procedures or specific instructions for ex. file>import>click drag over to middle screen (don't know the tech name)>set in and out point>click and drag down to video 1 to locate this general tab and start a new sequence

• 5. Re: Video Scaling

I don't have a lot of time to give you a detailed tutorial, but a setting similar to this may exist in your version of Premiere. If not, you can always download and install the trial:

Premiere CS4 Interface
                  sequence_1.gif
                  sequence_2.gif
                  sequence_3.gif

• 6. Re: Video Scaling
                    futrell79 Level 1

want to say thanks again for the response I will test the theory and let you know the results.

• 7. Re: Video Scaling
                      futrell79 Level 1

That worked out great! Thanks! I do have one more question though what if I have more than one video with two different sizes for ex. 400x300 1st video and i set under the general tab to playback in windows the frame rate to 400x300 for the 1st one my version I have to do all this upon staring a new project and havn't found where you can edit this later on.

• 8. Re: Video Scaling

I guess it's a matter of how the finished PowerPoint is going to be shown. For example, projected on a screen or presented to a client on a laptop. For a projected presentation, of course you want the clearest/largest source video dimension possible. On the timeline, we have with some success in a pinch upscaled video to fit the window (sequence dimension). In other words, if you have 400x300 video in a 400x300 sequence, you could possibly upscale another smaller 320x240 wmv to 400x300 without too much loss in quality. This usually won't work well if you want to present text, particularly if it's small.

To scale a clip, select it on the timeline and click on the Effects Control tab. Click the Motion arrow and adjust the scale parameter.

• 9. Re: Video Scaling
                          futrell79 Level 1

I am using Firefox download helper add-on to download videos then using Any Video Convertor to go from flv to wmv. I have the option to change to the 720x480 4:3 standard i think that is right format and it will take a 400x300 to 720x480 and convert to wmv or avi then i could load in adobe premiere and the setting wouldn't have to be change then will this work.

• 10. Re: Video Scaling
                            futrell79 Level 1

And yes Mr. McIntyre you answered my 1st question, but I am afraid to click on correct anwser afraid it will remove the thread.

• 11. Re: Video Scaling
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              I am afraid to click on correct anwser afraid it will remove the thread.

Charles should get the points. There is nothing to worry about, regarding the thread. It will only get a little icon besides it, but so long as there are replies (will appear as "[Updated]"), others will follow along.

Good luck with the Project,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Video Scaling
                                futrell79 Level 1

I am using Firefox download helper add-on to download videos then using Any Video Convertor to go from flv to wmv. I have the option to change to the 720x480 4:3 standard i think that is right format and it will take a 400x300 to 720x480 and convert to wmv or avi then i could load in adobe premiere and the setting wouldn't have to be change then will this work.

• 13. Re: Video Scaling
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Look into the FLV utilities at Moyea. They do some nice programs.

Good luck,

Hunt