6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2009 10:44 AM by Jim_Simon

Audio Mysteriously wont play

maxmiller09

I have been working with Premire Pro since 1.5 and I have never seen anything like this, I have no idea what is wrong or how to fix it, so if anyone has a better solution then re-capturing and re-linking all the media, I would love it!

I am editing an 1.5 hr long documentary with well over 20 hrs of footage. I am nearly finished and only portions of the audio from several of the interviews/shots are missing. The audio meteres are still showing level, but I can't hear anything from that clip. I can hear sounds from all the other tracks and clips, but randomly, it just cuts out. It was working before, and the meters show it is still working, but I can't hear it.

On top of that, I went to the source QT file on the hard drive and played it, and the entire clips audio is fine, except for in those specific spots, where the sound is gone all of the sudden. I have no idea what is wrong, or what can be done to fix it. The only solution I can think of is to re-capture all the tapes, but I would rather not spend 20hrs having to re-capture, what happened?

• 1. Re: Audio Mysteriously wont play
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Only you can tell what happened, but recapturing seems the only way.

• 2. Re: Audio Mysteriously wont play
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Now, there could be several settings that could influence the Audio and some could lead to this sort of behavior. Rather than guessing, can you you do a screen-cap of the Timeline, featuring one of the Clips, where the Audio drops out. Please show the full Effects Control Panel with the Volume Effect open, plus the Audio Track Keyframes visible.

Thanks and good luck,

Hunt

PS this is where you'll want to "attach" the screen-cap:

Adobe_Forum_Image.jpg

• 3. Re: Audio Mysteriously wont play
              Jim_Simon Level 8

If an external player shows the same audio drop-outs, that's a very strong indication the issue is with the media file, not Premiere.  Recapture may be the only solution.

• 4. Re: Audio Mysteriously wont play
                maxmiller09 Level 1

So after messing with it, trying to re-capture, trying to find some tiny obsucure setting in the audio hardware or anywhere else I could look, I exported the sound clip, transfered it to annother system and played it there where it works fine, sounds great on that system. It seems like the issue is with QT on this system, perhapse it did an update that caused those specific sections to stop playing back... I am re installing QT now to see if that fixes the issue... Not 100% sure, I may need to transfer over to another system, does Premire Pro have the capability of exporting AAF files?

• 5. Re: Audio Mysteriously wont play
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  does Premire Pro have the capability of exporting AAF files?

Yes. From the PrPro 2.0 Help Files:

About AAF export

Advanced Authoring Format (AAF) is a multimedia file format that allows you to exchange digital media and metadata between platforms, systems, and applications. Authoring applications that support AAF, such as the Avid Xpress family of editing products (generally referred to as “Avid Xpress”), read and write the data in AAF files to the extent that they support the format. AAF is a widely recognized file-exchange standard for video editing.
                  Adobe Premiere Pro includes an AAF export command that allows you to export to AAF project files that contain clip, sequence, and editing data.
                  To ensure that the project you want to export conforms to general AAF specifications and is compatible with an Avid Xpress product, consider each of the following:

The AAF files exported by Adobe Premiere Pro are compatible with the Avid Xpress family of editing products (Avid Xpress DV, Avid Xpress Pro, and Avid Xpress Pro HD) and have not been tested with other AAF importers.
                  Transitions should appear only between two clips, not adjacent to the beginning or end of a clip. Each clip must be at least the same length as the transition.

If a clip has a transition at both its In and Out points, the clip should be at least the same length as both transitions combined.
                  When naming clips and sequences in Adobe Premiere Pro, avoid using special characters, accented characters, or characters that affect the parsing of an XML file. Some characters to avoid include /, >, <, ®, and ü.

AAF files exported from Adobe Premiere Pro and imported into Avid Xpress do not automatically relink to the source footage. To relink the footage, use the Offline Only batch import option in Avid Xpress.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Audio Mysteriously wont play
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

It seems like the issue is with QT on this system

That would not be surprising.  It's why Qucktime is best avoided.  Don't install it.  Don't use MOV clips.  Just don't.