3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 3:45 AM by Rix

Performance of director 11 apps on Mac?

ynykon

Hi    

We've developed a lot af applications (mostly casual games) on director MX 2004 for PC

Then that apps were ported to Mac OS X.

It was realy a problem to start some application in Director on MacOS X 10.4 or 10.5.

It was needed much more time on MAC as on PC until application started and executed all its initialisation functions (XML parsing, etc)

When we started a projector on Mac - it was a little better, but still worser as on PC

As we understand - the reason of this is tha fact, that Director MX 2004 and projectors, that it creates are working under Rosetta emulator, which is rather slow

We have the option to change to Director 11.5 in future - the question is if we will get enough improvement in performance comparing to use of director MX 2004?

I've read earlier, that director 11 was very slow and buggy even on PCs?

Another reason for that change is that Mac OS 10.6 will not support Rosetta anymore - and we still need to run our applications on Mac Os systems.

Could you express some feedbacks to this issue?

Any help will be appreciated

• 1. Re: Performance of director 11 apps on Mac?
          Chunick Level 3

ynykon wrote:

Hi    

We've developed a lot af applications (mostly casual games) on director MX 2004 for PC

Then that apps were ported to Mac OS X.

It was realy a problem to start some application in Director on MacOS X 10.4 or 10.5.

It was needed much more time on MAC as on PC until application started and executed all its initialisation functions (XML parsing, etc)

When we started a projector on Mac - it was a little better, but still worser as on PC

As we understand - the reason of this is tha fact, that Director MX 2004 and projectors, that it creates are working under Rosetta emulator, which is rather slow

We have the option to change to Director 11.5 in future - the question is if we will get enough improvement in performance comparing to use of director MX 2004?

I've read earlier, that director 11 was very slow and buggy even on PCs?

Another reason for that change is that Mac OS 10.6 will not support Rosetta anymore - and we still need to run our applications on Mac Os systems.

Could you express some feedbacks to this issue?

Any help will be appreciated

To address your concerns:

1. Director 11.5 is a vast improvement over D11, IMHO. Even D11 has Hot Fix 3, which deals with many of the issues. Even though you don't have a copy of D11, be aware that you cannot have D11.5 and D11 running on the same computer. D11.5 overwrites D11.

2. From reports by developers on the Direct-L list, Rosetta still runs on Mac OS 10.6, but not by default. The first time a user launches an app that requires Rosetta, it will ask the user if they want to run it in Rosetta and then install Rosetta - or something to that effect.

3. DMX2004 is on the Mac list of programs that will not run on Mac OS 10.6... however, DMX does run on it, so it seems to be an artificial ban (which developers are trying to work around, but have not been successful in finding a solution). This does NOT mean that projectors created with MX2004 or lower will not work... see #2 above, as they will, but will have to run in Rosetta.

I'm not a Mac user so I can only post what I've read from the Direct-L list by developers who use Macs... and I may be wrong about some of the info, but I did go through the posts again from that list to verify... still, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

• 2. Re: Performance of director 11 apps on Mac?
            Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

Download the 11.5 trial and update a copy of your project then run it yourself and see how it performs. Why take anyone else's advice when it's simple enough to test for yourself?

• 3. Re: Performance of director 11 apps on Mac?
              Rix Level 1

Hi there,

I've recently got an Intel Mac Mini running OSX 10.6.2.

I bought Director 11.5 on PC XP. Exported projectors for both PC and mac, and the mac version launched and ran fine. (It was only a basic sound / copypixel / 3D test though). It did not mention Rosetta at all on start up.

Anyone know if a mac projector created in 11.5 on PC will work on previous versions of OSX 10.4 10.5  or older non Intel macs?

Hope that helps.

Richard Smith