4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2009 1:41 PM by Harm Millaard

Why Dual network ports on a mb?

nados Level 1

Hi all,

I see that many mb's, especially gaming and server mb's, now come with dual nic ports on the back.

How is that used?

• 1. Re: Why Dual network ports on a mb?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

By teaming. If you use both NIC's on different machines and switches and they are 'teamed' you effectively double your network bandwidth from 1 Gbps to 2 Gbps. It does entail doubling your network cables. It may also entail that you need switches with more ports.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why Dual network ports on a mb?
            Jim_Simon Level 9

In the past, I've connected the Internet to one port, and a second computer to the other.  (This was before I had a router.)

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Why Dual network ports on a mb?
              nados Level 1

Harm,

I understand your idea, however, I think "teaming" in - todays world - is of benefit only if you happen to have two or more broadband connections. Then you could connect each nic directly up to each router and/or modem to double your bandwidth. You'd have to be a serious gamer and/or internet enthusiast.

The only other benefits i can think of are;

1. To connect two or more separate lan's or wan's directly to your pc.

2. To connect two or more network storage solutions directly to your pc.

3. To directly connect your NLE to your graphics, audio and animation workstations.

Jim,

Yea... i remember doing that with the Winproxy software turning my pc into a router. I think those days are long gone.

thanks guys!

• 4. Re: Why Dual network ports on a mb?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

The main use for teamed NIC's is in a server/NAS environment. For internet it is of no use. Everybody today has a modem /router for connecting with a cable or DSL provider and these to not support teamed NIC's and the bandwidth you have with these providers is far lower than a single 1 Gb NIC can deliver. It is only when you work in a server/NAS environment that dual NIC's are really advantageous. The speed of getting GB's of data from or to the server/NAS is effectively doubled by teaming.

Imagine you need to send 100 GB of data to the server or NAS. Apart from rounding errors, this would theoretically take around 14 minutes without load-balancing on the network, by teaming you would achieve 7 minutes in theory. In practice these figures will be higher. Teaming makes it possible to use assets in your projects that are stored on a NAS or server, without dragging down system performance. And of course, backing up to the NAS is twice as speedy.