5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2009 10:50 AM by the_wine_snob

Moving objects in a circular motion Premiere Pro CS3

dapoopta

I am trying to move a few objects about a center point.  I cannot figure out how to choose a center, then draw a circle for it to follow that path, and end up at the same position.  Any ideas?  I have attached an image, so hopefully you guys get what I am trying to do.  The object boxes are going to rotate along the path of the arrows.

• 1. Re: Moving objects in a circular motion Premiere Pro CS3
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Looking at your image, it appears that you want your five rectangles to rotate, in proper orientation, along the circle (with the arrows) and about the center, your text block.

I’d look at creating this with seven Video Tracks. The text block can be on Video Track 1 (VT 1), and your circle graphic (complete) on VT 2. Your five rectangles would then be on VT 3 thru VT 7. With the circle on a lower VT, the rectangles will be viewed over that circle.

Then, using the Effect>Position, Keyframe each rectangle’s animation to follow that circle. I’d probably use positional changes of about 15 degrees, per Keyframe, though you may need to tighten that up a bit, depending on how closely the motion of the positional changes follows that circle. You would need to do this independently for each of the five rectangles. Unfortunately, doing a Copy/Paste Attributes will not help, as your rectangles will need to have their respective Positions maintained. I’d also use Continuous Bezier for the Keyframes.

There is probably an easier way in AfterEffects, as you should be able to do a Path from the circle and then program the rectangles to follow that path, keeping their velocity constant and their positions relative.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Moving objects in a circular motion Premiere Pro CS3
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Personally, I'd do this in After Effects.

• 3. Re: Moving objects in a circular motion Premiere Pro CS3
              dapoopta Level 1

Can you explain to me how to do it in after effects?

• 4. Re: Moving objects in a circular motion Premiere Pro CS3
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Questions about After Effects are best asked in the AE forum.

• 5. Re: Moving objects in a circular motion Premiere Pro CS3
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Basically, you would create a Layer for each of the rectangles, then link them to the circular path as a follower. You'd set their starting position on that Path (remember to use the center of each rectangle to locate it), and then the ending location. The velocity would be set to the same for all of the rectangles. There might even be a Preset for exactly this animation. Your actual "circle" would be on another Layer, below the rectangles' Layers. The text block could be anywhere, but I'd locate it at the bottom of the stack.

Good luck,

Hunt