10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2009 1:00 PM by jefferisp7

Blur Not being applied to MC?

jefferisp7

Okay, I'm stumped.  I have a short TEXT that I turned into a symbol, it is a MovieClip on the stage. I applied a preset motion of blur fly in to it and it does fly in but does not blur.  I tried to use the motion editor to increase a blur to 255 but even when I add it on the initial keyframe, there is NO blur.

Is there some trick or bug with CS4 on the Mac?

• 1. Re: Blur Not being applied to MC?
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

Do you see the motion of the animation? Did your timeline change to show that the preset was applied? If you go to the first keyframe of the animation and select your movieClip, do you see a filter applied to it in the Properties window? Have you tried to add the preset to the text alone, you shouldn't have to make the text a movieClip for the preset to work.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Blur Not being applied to MC?
            jefferisp7 Level 1

The item is a text already turned into a symbol. There are the blue frames noting that a motion has been applied and "Remove Tween" is enabled in Contextual menu, as is COPY MOTION.  However if I go to the first frame in the timeline and click on it, it shows MovieClip and Not Motion Tween. Every other frame in the sequence will show motion tween.

BUT nowhere does it show a filter applied to the frame or MC in the Properties menu. It only shows a blur supposedly active in the Motion editor...

If I add a motion preset to a text object  alone (not converted to a symbol), it says "filters and the like are not applicable to this item and are removed... "

In Short I do see the animation of the fly in, but no blur and when I try to remove a slow ease in, for example in the motion editor, it will not remove.  I can add them but not remove them.

Just really odd behavior...

• 3. Re: Blur Not being applied to MC?
              jendehaan Level 4

Hi,

Using CS4 on the Mac, I cannot reproduce the message. I only see the"filters...cannot be applied... removed" message if I try applying it to a graphic. I can apply the fly in presets to plain text as expected.

Also, I am always seeing (whether the text tween is on the text instance or within a movie clip) the filter properties in the Property inspector. You will only see them in the PI if you select the instance itself on the Stage (you see instance properties when an instance is selected). Similarly I'm able to delete them.

"However if I go to the first frame in the timeline and click on it, it shows MovieClip and Not Motion Tween. Every other frame in the sequence will show motion tween."

Do you mean in the Property inspector?  The PI is context sensitive. If you select the instance itself, it will show movie clip (etc) properties. If you select the motion path or the tween span in the timeline, you will see the motion properties in the PI.

If you have a file you can attach, this may help me assist further or reproduce what you're seeing.

• 4. Re: Blur Not being applied to MC?
                jefferisp7 Level 1

http://screencast.com/t/ztR9ZQhEh9

Hi, thanks.

I put up a screencast here to show you where I am stumped or confused.

A blur does not apply to a text item either.

http://screencast.com/t/N1c5iRBu

• 5. Re: Blur Not being applied to MC?
                  jefferisp7 Level 1

http://screencast.com/t/N1c5iRBu

A blur does not apply to a text item either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jefferis Peterson, Pres.

Web Design and Marketing

http://www.PetersonSales.com

(724)-482-2015

• 6. Re: Blur Not being applied to MC?
                    jendehaan Level 4

Ah - the hint was right at the end of the video. It doesn't have do with Flash CS4 / new tweens. You have Flash Player set to Flash Player 6, which does not support filters. You need to set it to Flash Player 8 or greater to see filters.

Hope that helps,

Jen.

• 8. Re: Blur Not being applied to MC?
                      jendehaan Level 4

I'm seeing a lot of blank posts on the forums today (I can't see any text in the above message), all browsers. is anyone else seeing this?

• 9. Re: Blur Not being applied to MC?
                        jefferisp7 Level 1

Weird.   I thought it was posting a link from email rather than from within the forum itself.  But the last message I sent had not link embedded except my incomplete signature starting with www  rather than http.

• 10. Re: Blur Not being applied to MC?
                          jefferisp7 Level 1

DOH!  

Thank you!!   I used to create ad banners in flash 6 for greater platform distribution. I suppose 8 is safe now :-)